PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Direct Mailling

esshaki
01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
I was wondering about direct mailiings, this season i would like to advertise with direct mailings in areas that i currently service. Im gonna design my own post card to postal requirements and mail them out my self. but i was wondering on how to get postal address of the house's. Im confused and could use some help with this.

I would go throught a company on the internet but i hear good and bad things about them and would just feel safer about designing them my self and mailing my self. Thanks for the help !

walker-talker
01-18-2006, 03:40 AM
How many are you going to mail out? I did a run of 5000 a couple years ago. Let me tell you where you are going to save. First, they will save you money on postage, but they do charge you for the mailing list. They are going to save you many hours of finding the address, writing them (or typing them) onto labels or directly onto the postcard. They will save you time dealing peeling the labels and stamps. If you were just doing 100 or so, then try doing them yourself, but with only 100 don't expect a great response rate either. I went with 5000 because I had to purchase at least 5000 names for the postcards. I also narrowed my list of names based on area, income, age, property owners and property value. Total cost of design, print and postage was $2000.

eshreve1234
01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Walker-

Did you send all 5k at once? Were you pleased with the response?

walker-talker
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes, sent the 5k at once. I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with calls. I might of had 40 calls at most, but at the time that was enough. The downside was that maybe only 8 or 10 of those calls were for mowing and the rest for one time jobs like dethatching and overseeding. I picked up 4 accounts, but good accounts that I was able to upsale something to all of them. The upside of that was, through referrals, those 4 led to 6 others...with up sales. I wasn't real happy with the whole campaign, but dollar for dollar, it has yielded the best luck. I think I could do better with doorhangers or flyers hand delivered, but possibly to a different area...which I plan on doing this year.

esshaki
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
most likely i am going to mail out 5000 flyers, and probaly pass around door hangers or flyers to the neighbors id like to pick up more clients in. But im still wondering were do you get these mailing list from.

The Ranger
01-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Direct mail; expect to receive 1% or less in response. Try Haines guide @ www.haines.com for a list of names.