PDA

View Full Version : Who keeps their skid steers on their trailers when stored?

SouthernYankee
01-18-2006, 01:04 PM
My storage space is going to be tight with all of my equipment and trucks and I was wondering if there is any down side to keeping their bobcats on their trailers when they are not in use.

Are there is any real downsides to keeping a bobcat on the trailer when its stored? Is it hard to get the loaded trailer off the truck? thanks

DUSTYCEDAR
01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
makes it eaiser to steel

MarcusLndscp
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes, I've done it but for me the deciding factor would be how long it would be sitting on there. Also what size trailer it's sitting on. We mounted 2 jack stands on the back of our trailers one on each side so we could disconnect from them with them loaded with trees etc. They prevent the trailer from jumping off your hitch when you disconnect it loaded.

GreenMonster
01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Anybody ever driven on or off their trailer when unknowingly, it wasn't hooked up?

I know I never have...:o

MarcusLndscp
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
No, Mark but I once hooked up to a trailer put an ex on it and drove about 25 miles. When I got to the job I tried unloading the ex and the trailer jumped right off the ball when I tried coming off it. I somehow in a hurry didn't realize I had a 2" ball on the truck instead of a 2 5/16" is it? and drove away. I couldn't believe it stayed on the hitch all the way across town

MudslinginFX4
01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I had my 20' enclosed trailer pop off a 2'' ball going down the road at 45mph... to top it off the safety chains broke in half. Almost killed someone. My bigger trailers take 2 5/16'' balls and the guys had put on a 2'' ball earlier for a smaller trailer.

allaccesslandscaping
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Iheard its not good for the axle over time

qps
01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
I had my 20' enclosed trailer pop off a 2'' ball going down the road at 45mph... to top it off the safety chains broke in half. Almost killed someone. My bigger trailers take 2 5/16'' balls and the guys had put on a 2'' ball earlier for a smaller trailer.

we only use pintle hitch's because of this....

vntgrcr
01-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Loaded my 257 on the trailer only to feel the rear end of the trailer sink to the ground. Knew what had happened right away. Looked at the pick up tail gate, and knew that I had just made an expensive mistake. Didn't lock the pintle clasp down. The pintle eye got driven right intothe tailgate. Live and learn.

qps
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Loaded my 257 on the trailer only to feel the rear end of the trailer sink to the ground. Knew what had happened right away. Looked at the pick up tail gate, and knew that I had just made an expensive mistake. Didn't lock the pintle clasp down. The pintle eye got driven right intothe tailgate. Live and learn.

be there done that....we must have pulled the trailer plug off twice last season (not un hooking it):p

Scag48
01-19-2006, 02:32 AM
On our tiltbed, we run the equipment off and on the trailer without it being hooked up, isn't a problem. I remember last summer I was hauling fill dirt to a site 3 days straight, moved about 60 yards or so. Takes a while when you can only put 4 yards in the dump trailer at a time. Anywho, I was making the first load of the day and when I went to dump, about halfway up the cycle the trailer jumped straight off the ball. And, the trailer was slightly downhill, so when it jumped off, it rolled backwards, so trying to get it back on the ball was a real PITA. We have one of those Curtis tri-ball stingers, with a 1 5/8, 2", and 2 5/16" balls all on one straight stinger, and what happened is when one of our guys backed me in on the ball, he lowered the hitch onto the ball before I could get back there to check and make sure he had it on the right ball. I asked him if he had the right one, assumed he was intelligent enough to make the connection, but boy was I wrong. To this day, dad and I are the only ones allowed to do any trailer or equipment operation. If that trailer would have come off with 12K pounds behind me, it would have been one hell of a mess. I was travelling 6 miles one way to the dump site down an 8% grade loaded for 1 mile of the trip, it could have been very nasty.

As for storing equipment on the trailer, we did it last winter with our skid steer. We put it on our goosneck, but that trailer is rated for 24K pounds. It's one beast of a trailer and since it's gooseneck, pretty low chance of getting stolen and in a town of 5,000 people, I've never been worried about theft.

all ferris
01-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I have left the skid on the trailer for 3 months at a time before with no problems but I don't do anymore. My 863 would fit under my 8' garage door on the trailer but my new(er) T200 won't and I found out the hard way. There is nothing worse than realizing that I was wedged under the door (I got out and looked at the damage while it was wedged). Then to top it off it never occurred to me that I could have let some air out of the trailer tires to get it out. Yep, thats right, I did even more damage when I un-wedged it:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :cry:.

On a related note.... One time I was backing my skid on the trailer and the truck was on a slight down hill. Yep, the back wheels of the truck came off the ground and we (truck,trailer,skid) rolled down the hill. I got lucky and there was no harm done but it did pucker my backside. Believe it or not the trailer ramps did did have stands to prevent this type of thing from happening but they apparently were not long enough in this case.

gammon landscaping
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
i loaded my 245 massy on my gooseneck once with the turn over ball not being latched it picked the ball up out of the sleeve and came back down and went through the bed of my truck not a good day now i always check this

Squizzy246B
01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
be there done that....we must have pulled the trailer plug off twice last season (not un hooking it):p

Don't you guys run safety chains???

qps
01-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Don't you guys run safety chains???

What's a saftey chain??? Yes we run chains but when the nitwit unhooks everything except the plug and drives off....there you have it...plug pulled.....never said we had the brightest help in the states....

ksss
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Storing equipment on a trailer never seemed like a real great idea to me. Over the weekends is as long as anything I have sits on a trailer. I can see in some cases maybe it would be neccessary but overall I think it would over stress the trailer (suspension and tires) and it looks bad (lazy) I think. Not to mention having your equipment sitting out in the weather.

Scag48
01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
If you can get around it, I would separate equipment and trailer. I forgot to mention the only reason we put our machine on the trailer one winter was so that we could get them both under a covered area.

3Bladz
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I used to leave a 5800# tractor on my 12000# trailer. Didn't hurt the trailer any. However, if you leave it on for a while, it will feel like it has square tires. If it is going to sit w/out moving for more than a week or so the tires will have that memory until you pull it a ways.

Doug Z.
01-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I did the 2" ball thing once. My buddy needed me to move a little gravel for him, so I hooked up the trailer, and away I went. Got to his building, and went to unload the Kubota, and the front end came up. Thank God that unless I have an attachment on the tractor, the trailer will only come up a couple inches. I got lucky, it didnt damage anything, but it did give me a wake up call. As far as leaving equipment on the trailer, I will leave the tractor or the skidsteer on it for a week or so, if I bring it back from a job, and dont need the trailer right a way. And if I know I have a job coming up with it. As far as how it looks, I think it looks better than haveing empty trialers and equipment all around. Of course, most of the time I put it in the bulding.

tylermckee
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
My dad had a new holland tractor that he left on the trailer at a jobsite. Someone cut his lock and hooked up to the trailer and took off . . . about 50 feet till he got stuck in mud. then they unloaded it, got it unstuck, then loaded it back up and took off.

Dirty Water
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
We store our Ditchwitches on their trailer at our shop, they are always going out or coming in, and it saves a lot of time if they stay loaded.

drsogr
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
It seems like a lot of accidents could be stopped by having all trailers be one standard hitch. Is there really a need to have so many different hitch styles?

MarcusLndscp
02-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Who Else Noticed This Thread Published In Landscape Construction Magazine?

salandscape
02-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Only use the pintle myself, I occasionaly store Bobcat on trailer making sure to run the chains through the pintle and lock them, This helps me sleeps better knowing that the theif must be prepared with bolt cutter to steal the trailer, Damn I hope they don't have bolt cutters! On the popping off side I had to of my guys hook up my 16' enclosed trailer last summer drove 30 miles to do some work at my parents house only to get there and see that they hadn't closed the Hitch! That was one luckly break next time someone will get killed! Now a I stand there and watch the guys hook the trailer to insure it was done properly, no matter how many times they may have done it. Excellent use of my time! You should see my profit margins soar!

SouthernYankee
02-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I ended up having to store my bobcat on my trailer, because my storage unit isnt really big enough for everything that I have. My trailer has a payload cap. of 8,000lbs and my machine only weighs 5,000lbs so I am not too worried. I use it enough that the tires wont get messed up by sitting around too long.

SouthernYankee
02-19-2006, 10:50 AM

is there anywhere online that I could see this ?

ksss
02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Of all the quality discussions we have had on this board, they publish the one about parking skids steers on a trailer. Go figure.

vntgrcr
02-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Yes I read it and was glad they didn't print my name on my contribution to that since my comments were based on my stupidity loading my trailer!!!

Branching Out
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
All four of my trailers have pintles. I can't stress how much stronger they are than a ball. I had a 2 5/8 trailer side hook up, split in half and drop an 18' enclosed to the ground. Luckly, I was just pulling out of the yard and only going 5 MPH. It now has a pintle.

As far as storing the Bobcat. I keep it on the trailer unless it's for long periods in the off season. I also don't have a key start on it. I know it's not theft proof, but it helps me sleep better when it's in the yard.