PDA

View Full Version : Shrub Book

cmcfalls
04-08-2001, 12:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what a good book about shrubs would be? One that has good pics to show customers to give them ideas?Thanks

Stonehenge
04-08-2001, 01:24 PM
Check with the landscape associations in your area. They'll likely have some inexpensive 'brochures' that have most of the plants that grow in your area. Here we have a tree/shrub brochure, about 30 pages, a perennial brochure (15 pp) and an annual brochure (15pp). They provide them with all the help and info they need to choose looks that they like, and you can leave them with them, with your logo tattooed on the front.

lawnboy82
04-08-2001, 02:33 PM
there is a guy that i think is a professor down in the carolinas? maybe? name is michael dirr. most college plant id courses require one or more of his books. i have one upstairs that is like 1200 pages of plants. and another one somewhere that is maybe 200 pages. the small one has nice color pictures and descriptions. the 1200 page one has drawings i think? but that has like 1,600 species and 7,800 cultivars. but that goes from abelia to ziziphus. these would definatley be books for landscapers. they cost maybe 70 dollars a book. i know i paid 67 for the small one which i may have lost and am pissed about. the big one maybe 70 or 80 over at umass. good books, cost money, but good investment definatley.

lawnboy82
04-08-2001, 02:34 PM
forgot to mention that you can get it for your computer too.

EarthWorks
04-09-2001, 12:08 AM
Go to Amazon.com or something similar and search by author. Michael A. Dirr. He has several. I just bought Dirr's hardy trees and shrubs. This book has pretty good pictures and brief descriptions. I recomend it.

cmcfalls
04-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Thanks for your help. I will look into these books and brochures today.

chuck

jkinchla
04-09-2001, 09:39 AM
Home Depot has a great little book called "Landscaping 1-2-3" that has nice pictures of plants that are common in your climate zone. Trees, shrubs, groundcovers, etc. It may sound crazy to buy a horticultural book from Home Depot, but this book really is good. Perhaps the best color pictures in a book that I have seen yet.