PDA

View Full Version : Chains for a Cat 246

Boycea
01-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Does anybody have a good source for tire chains for a cat 246 Skidsteer. I remember a posting of a website with tire chains for skidsteers but did a search and couldn't find it. Any help would be great.

TerraFirma Excavating
01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't tire chains cost too much to ship because of the weight? I think it might be less expensive to buy them locally. I run military surplus chains on my Bobcat skidsteer. They are hardened crosslinks and side chains. They last about 3 or 4 times longer than standard tire chains. Another company here in town gets about 3 or 4 months out of these chains plowing commercially, whereas there were wearing out the crosslinks every month previously. The chains also have the swivel hooks http://www.tirechain.com/images/SWIVELHOOK-1.jpg rather than the standard hooks. This means no tire chain tool needed.

If you are interested and shipping is not too high (zip code 99701), I can see if my supplier has anymore left. Last time I purchased them, they were $75 for a set for 12x16.5 tires. I don't know if 10x16.5 chains are any cheaper.

TerraFirma Excavating
01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
P.S. Tire chains can scar up asphalt if used when snow plowing. V-bars would really dig in, but should only be used off-road to minimize road damage.