PDA

View Full Version : Yearly Business Plan?

Green-Pro
01-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Wanted to ask the seasoned fellas out there if they write a new business plan every year or simply update the old one? I ask because I started writing a new one completely from scratch about a week ago (not that there was anything wrong with the old one) and after now having a full year under our belts I am amazed at how much easier and more cohesive a task this seems to be. I don't think I will ever "tweak" a plan but just write a new one each year.

The elements of the plan have not changed that drastically, but I think a completely separate 2006 plan will give me a better basis for comparison when writing again in 2007, much the same as the '05 plan is now.

So what works best for you veterans especially those of you that have started from solo and grown exponentially over the years.

rodfather
01-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't try to reinvent the wheel (my business plan) year after year. There is an old saying that goes, "the search for perfection can be the murder of the good" , ie, I make just some small changes and "tweaks" to the each year's business plan from the previoius year's...works for me for the most part.

Now, if something major happened like buying out a competitor where funding was required with additional major equipment purchases involved too, then I might revamp my business plan entirely.

Hope that helps.

Green-Pro
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
yes that does help, what you said about reinventing the wheel makes sense. let me ask you this, were the changes more significant, that is did you find yourself writing basically a new business plan in the early years/stages of your business? Then as you progressed/grew did you find that fall more into the tweaking category?

rodfather
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
yes that does help, what you said about reinventing the wheel makes sense. let me ask you this, were the changes more significant, that is did you find yourself writing basically a new business plan in the early years/stages of your business? Then as you progressed/grew did you find that fall more into the tweaking category?

Exactly...and thus becomes much easier since you have a recognizable pattern.

It does something else for you as well. Instead of just saying to yourself, "ya know, I need or would like to do more of this or less of that" it now focuses you to see the goal/desire you want and makes you do something (ie, write it down) about it. And as you do this again and again year after year, the "tweaks" become easier and easier to figure out.

Hard Worker
01-19-2006, 10:52 PM

It does something else for you as well. Instead of just saying to yourself, "ya know, I need or would like to do more of this or less of that" it now focuses you to see the goal/desire you want and makes you do something (ie, write it down) about it. And as you do this again and again year after year, the "tweaks" become easier and easier to figure out.

Thanks Rod, as this being my first year to go with a full fledged plan I want to tweak as I go. I have a solid feel for which direction I want us to go and hopefully this will serve as a roadmap for this year. Hopefully next year I can see exactly what worked and what didnt and go from there.

Thanks again for helping us out.:)

Green-Pro
01-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the tip RF, I am really enjoying putting this together this year, not that I did'nt enjoy planning last year, its just that some elements of a business plan are difficult to ascertain when you are initially starting. The financials were difficult to pin down from the standpoint of being new, literally had nothing to go back and compare to, made forecasting difficult as well. I can definitely see when the day will come that I'm not so much as completing a whole plan as much as simply adjusting/amending one. The nice thing about having this first year down is the clarity it lends to making plan adjustments.
Thanks again RF

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Green Pro, Most folks that I know in biz usually just update there current plan. I read a small part of Rods post "don't re-invent the wheel" and have to agree with that. However, it is a good practice in make sure that you stay on top of your plan. As time goes by you will be making revisions.

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Just yesturday I started to rewrite mine. After having a year of being fully insured and fully registered as a business, it was 10 times easier to write it. I have a lot more experience now on what to expect and plan for. I am really excited for this season and hope to keep tweaking my plan every year until I retire.
James

Green-Pro
01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Just yesturday I started to rewrite mine. After having a year of being fully insured and fully registered as a business, it was 10 times easier to write it. I have a lot more experience now on what to expect and plan for. I am really excited for this season and hope to keep tweaking my plan every year until I retire.
James

Sounds like your in the same spot I'm in and yes it has me pumped up for the upcoming season as well!! I agree it has been a much more enjoyable and easier task after getting through this first year. A good solid foundation to build upon now that I have the blueprint :waving: