PDA

View Full Version : using granite for a patio/walk

rmartin
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I have access to some various size granite curbing. The largest pieces being 4' long and 2' wide and down from there. Most are flat, some have a slight curve. Has anyone ever used these for a patio/walk?

cgland
01-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I think they would make a nice walkway, but as a patio...no. IMO the surface would be too irregular. Ask Marcus or treedoc, they are the experts on that stuff.

Chris

MarcusLndscp
01-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Actually it can be done. We've been on a job for the past 2 years and will continue into most of next season where 99% of the hardscape is built out of granite curbing (some details were not made out of curbing but still a granite product. Fireplaces/Chimneys, all freestanding & retaining walls (wet and dry laid), waterfalls, stairs and patios/walkways all granite. 7 digits worth of work. I personally have not worked on this job alot but the guys who set the patios (granite curbing) said it was quite difficult to work with. Simply because the pieces are so heavy and large. To top it off it all has radiant heat tubing beneath it so they needed to be extra careful. It depends what side of the curbing you use as the top. One side is typically rougher than the other. Your curved pieces are obviously not suitable for a patio. Same base prep as with any patio. Fabric, Gravel (whatever road base material is in your area), set in stone dust or concrete sand.