PDA

View Full Version : Some 2005 jobs

TerraVenture
01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
here are some pictures

TerraVenture
01-19-2006, 11:53 PM
This is the only real softscaping job I did this year, I had to wait until mid June before it was dry enough.

TerraVenture
01-19-2006, 11:58 PM
This is one of my favorite customers. The lawn was yellow and very sparse when I started. Before you say Anything I know the brick edge is sticking up. I didn't get it low enough.

YardPro
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
pretty work...

did you do the pergola???

TerraVenture
01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
I built the pergola, the deck, the gazebo, and the patio. I have before pictures but i need to resize them. That job is in an area that is nothing but large boulders. Most of them i removed but one was too large and we have to cut off a couple of inches to fit under the pavers.

PurpHaze
01-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Very nice looking. Thanks for sharing.

cgland
01-20-2006, 11:10 AM
How did you not get the edge restraint low enough? Isn't it installed on your base?

Chris

Green-Pro
01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
How did you not get the edge restraint low enough? Isn't it installed on your base?

Chris

Good question, I wondered that as well. Not trying to beat you up, you did really super work, but just takes one (even small) visual detail to detract from the overall workmanship IMO.

If the edge restraint is not installed on your base you are opening yourself up to bigger problems in the form of rework down the road.

zedosix
01-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Is it possible that frost pushed it up. I know this is a problem in colder areas where I am.

Sean Adams
01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Very nice work

TerraVenture
01-20-2006, 09:45 PM
the edge restraint is the on the same level as the pavers not on the base.

TerraVenture
01-20-2006, 10:02 PM
the 2004 walkway was no built to icpi standards. It was built the way my uncle taught me. It sits on solid stone dust. The base and bedding are all the same. The stone dust is fully compacted and screeded and then the pavers are laid down. The pavers are also grouted with stone dust. this is how I was taught by my uncle. He has pavers and clay brick that were done twenty five years ago that haven't moved. The edge restraint is retained with eight inch galvanized spikes. I have changed my constructions techniques since simply because 3/4" stonebase is cheaperthan stone dust so the 1" bedding layer I use now is stone dust still and I grout with polymeric sand. Also all walkways get geo fabric installed as added insurance after the top soil is removed and the sub soils compacted thoroughly.

mbella
01-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I'd like to give you an honest opinion on the hardscape, but it is impossible to see the quality of your work with those pics. You need to take some close ups. In the pics you posted, the only thing I can see that is wrong is the edge restraint, which you already mentioned.

What is your reasoning for using screenings for the bedding layer?

MarcusLndscp
01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Seems like you've made some important changes to your construction techniques. Everyone on here has done jobs wrong before...it's a part of the learning process. Infact there's a thread on here, I'm sure you've seen, of some of our past jobs that we don't consider so great anymore. Jobs look good though. Nice work, I like the pergola and the plantings you did. By the way are you using 3/4" crushed stone or crushed gravel for your base now? Hopefully the gravel....

o-so-n-so
01-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Very nice work.......some of the best I've seen.

mbella
01-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm suprised by some of the responses here. There isn't one pic of a hardscape that is close enough to really evaluate the quality of the job. I focus on the hardscape because this is posted in the Hardscape Forum. I really didn't pay attention to the softscape.

I'm not saying anything negative about the work, I just don't understand how any of you have honestly evaluated the hardscape with the pics that were provided.

MarcusLndscp
01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree with you Mike. I'm not sure how someone can say it's "some of the best I've seen". I, like you, am not saying it's bad at all but you're right you can't see alot of the details in the paver work from these pics to truly give a rating like that.

On the other hand, I think TerraV was simply posting some pics of jobs he's proud of and probably not really looking to be critiqued. He did state that he acknowledged things were not done according to current specs and he has changed his ways to the more accepted professional ways.

One thing you can pick up on are his basic layout techniques and lines in his landscape. Everything seems to flow nicely....walkway curves, bed lines etc. There's always room for improvement with all of us, in all of our jobs.

mbella
01-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I agree with you Mike. I'm not sure how someone can say it's "some of the best I've seen". I, like you, am not saying it's bad at all but you're right you can't see alot of the details in the paver work from these pics to truly give a rating like that.

On the other hand, I think TerraV was simply posting some pics of jobs he's proud of and probably not really looking to be critiqued. He did state that he acknowledged things were not done according to current specs and he has changed his ways to the more accepted professional ways.

One thing you can pick up on are his basic layout techniques and lines in his landscape. Everything seems to flow nicely....walkway curves, bed lines etc. There's always room for improvement with all of us, in all of our jobs.

Marc, I agree 100%. In the pics provided, those basic techniques look good. I was just saying, to accurately evaluate the hardcape as a whole, close ups are needed. I wasn't trying to say there is room for improvement here because I can't tell. This may be some of the best craftmanship we could ever hope to see, but I can't tell.

In order for somebody to improve, an accurate assessment, followed by constructive criticisim, needs to take place. One cannot accurately assess this work based on the pics provided.

kootoomootoo
01-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Its not like Mike to critique anybody.

mbella
01-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Its not like Mike to critique anybody.

Crawl back into your pouch. I didn't critique the work. I only stated that I couldn't see it.

Where the hell have you been hiding anyway?

kootoomootoo
01-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Crawl back into your pouch. I didn't critique the work. I only stated that I couldn't see it.

Where the hell have you been hiding anyway?

You were critiquing that you couldnt get a good look at the job so you could critique :)

GreenMonster
01-21-2006, 06:02 PM
the edge restraint is the on the same level as the pavers not on the base.

yeah, I did a couple of those early on, Greg. :rolleyes: Thanks to the critics like MBell, I know better now :D

j/k, Mike

Oveall, things look real nice. As Mike said, we can't tell how it was built, but the finished product appears top notch. If I come across any carpentry needs, I'll be sure to call you Greg.

TerraVenture
01-21-2006, 06:55 PM
I probably should have put this post in commercial landscaping but oh well. I don't have any closeups. The pictures were actually taken by a friend for a magazine ad. They were more for customers rather than fellow landscapers.
I have a real problem not takeing photos of my work. I always forget to take before shots. I am going to try to be better this year. I am also going back to some of my past jobs to take pictures.
My construction techniques change with every job and improve. I will say that I have never built anything sub standard just not to industry standards. I believe the most important part of a paver job is complete compaction and removal of organic matter that won't support the foundation of pavers.

mbella
01-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Terra, I'm guilty of not taking before shots also. I think you understand, I wasn't saying anything negative about your work, I just couldn't honestly give my opinion because I couldn't see the details. Also, I was only commenting on the hardscape portion.

The carpentry work looks very nice!

TerraVenture
01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I appreciate all the comments and criticisms. Somtimes negative criticisms can be hard to to swallow but that is how we all improve. I do have to try and defend my actions however. I always try to improve from criticism. I have no problem dishing it out also. I see alot of shoddy work out there. My clients like me because they I know I will stand behind my work 100%. The job with the pergola was difficult one. My clients are great people but I had to make alot of adjustments to make them happy. Sometimes I had to stand my ground because what they wanted did not make any sense. I also have to think about my reputation. If there is something that a client wants that will make me look bad I will not do it.
Anyhow thank you everyone for the criticisms.

GreenMonster
01-21-2006, 10:01 PM
oh man, I'm always forgetting before pics. I get so eager to jump in the equipment and rip and tear:blob4: , I forget to snap some pics!

I've tried to get in the habit of snapping pics the first time I go look at a job to quote.

mbella
01-21-2006, 10:03 PM
oh man, I'm always forgetting before pics. I get so eager to jump in the equipment and rip and tear:blob4: , I forget to snap some pics!

I've tried to get in the habit of snapping pics the first time I go look at a job to quote.

Mark, I did that for a while, but there were so many jobs I didn't get, I felt like it was a waste of time.

GreenMonster
01-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Mark, I did that for a while, but there were so many jobs I didn't get, I felt like it was a waste of time.

yeah, I have some folders on my computer of places I've only been to once. :rolleyes:

TerraVenture
01-22-2006, 12:22 PM
It doesn't help that I am terrible at taking pictures. I am usually pretty good at picking things up but photography is not one of them. What do you guys use for digital cameras? I have an olympus that eats batteries. It also doesn't help that I dropped on some asphalt a couple months ago.

Dirty Water
01-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Terra, I have a olympus camedia that eats batteries like no other and I can't get it to focus well...I think its mostly my fault though.

GreenMonster
01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Greg, I have an Olympus too. Indeed it eats batteries. Get a couple sets of rechargeable AA's.

PurpHaze
01-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I have an Olympus C5050 that's not real bad on the batteries. But I have two sets of rechargeables and a set of regular batteries at all times in the case.

scaglawnsnj
01-26-2006, 12:31 AM
here are some pictures

great work, those jobs look good. all of these guys don't know my secret to a good compacted base. i piss in the compactor water tank, it gets the base compacted>>

Bigtreeman
01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Nice work. i would love that Gazebo in my yard.

sheshovel
01-27-2006, 02:36 AM
I think the work looks really nice.You should be proud...I use a cheapo Canon SureShot A10 and have taken a lot of pics this year with only changing the batts once.If ya ignore all those sounds bells whistles bird chirps and pings and dings the camera can make(turn them off)and all that extra junk they put on there for u to play with(turn them off) your batts last a long time.Also my camera will turn itself off if I forget within a few minutes .I have noticed it will tell me to change the batts if the camera is in cold weather conditions when the batts are still good.I warm the camera up and it works fine then.
Great looking work both hard and softscapes

PurpHaze
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
all of these guys don't know my secret to a good compacted base. i piss in the compactor water tank, it gets the base compacted>>

I thought piss was for athletes foot. :p