PDA

View Full Version : Tree or shrub spade / shovel for skid? (PNW)

janb
01-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Anyone have one of these? (the scoop / shovel type) made from HD pipe or the likes of a hoe bucket.

How do they work for 'mini trenching' and 'transplanting'?

Several manf seem to tout theirs.

I would be willing to make one up if I could get a HD mounting plate in PNW. I found some 1/2" wall 28" pipe today, but it is 7' long. (~$300) (enough for 4 scoops)

Anyone in PNW want to tackle this?
any recommendation on Left Coast mounting plate sources?

SSS won't sell blank plates, not enough profit (that's for sure) their spade comes with a 3/8" plate (that would be nice, haven't seen any of those FS)

jreiff
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
janb- Is this waht you are talking about?

http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/digger.html

If you are, we have one. We call it a U-Blade. I personally like them. They work well for planting trees, digging out trees, stumps, shrubs, anything. Only bad part about dugging for trees compared to an auger is that with the U-Blade you get big chunks of soil that you dig out where with the auger it softens/ pulverizes the soil so it is easier to back fill the tree when planting. Have trenched alittle with it. Works well, just that you are digging the width of the blade, so sucks if you need a small trench. Overall i like the U-Blade, can also use to dig out rocks and concrete. Good investment for us.

UNISCAPER
02-08-2006, 12:01 AM
It is called a Hawk bucket, invented by Francis Kluckhohn in 1943 of Oswego, Illinois. He let his patent run out and everyone started copying the design.,