PDA

View Full Version : planting grass seed on a hill

bobbygedd
04-08-2001, 06:28 PM
i know its not likely to be able to plant grass seed on a hill, or slope where the seed keeps washing away. ive been thinking about trying it, then covering the area with a clear plastic tarp, with some holes poked in it. what do u folks think? any ideas would be appreciated. BOB

paul
04-08-2001, 06:46 PM
This should be in the landscape forum but try here, http://www.geo-synthetics.com/geosynthetics_inc.htm

lawnboy82
04-08-2001, 08:19 PM
ok. you may wanna go with a burlap type fabric. something very loosley knit. they have special ones you can buy to retain the seeds and what not. should work for you

Kansas Turf Man
04-08-2001, 10:59 PM
Sod it to start with. With seed you will end up re-seeding or over-seeding a lawn that will be a headache for a long time. Save your Time and Money

paul
04-08-2001, 11:30 PM
with erosion control nettings they have now you can get seed to grow with out wash out.

SCL
04-09-2001, 11:42 AM
There are so many products that will help. I don't know where you buy your seed but if its through a wholesaler or nursey they should be able to get you something. I do this a couple of ways. Look for a product called a Futerra blanket and get some landscape staples. Robex makes a straw blanket that like Futerra rolls out and stakes down. Nice heavy DOT type unit.Last we like to use good old straw. Cost effective and effective. Good Luck!

bobbygedd
04-09-2001, 03:29 PM
did the job today, used a burlap type fabric that came in a roll, see what happens, thanks for all your help

Matt
04-18-2001, 08:37 AM
I know you already completed the job, but for future reference hydro seeding banks or hills is a lot easier and they have materials that can be added in the mix that when they are sprayed they form a erosion control blanket on the ground. Most of the time you will also get a quiker germination with hydroseeding with helps with preventing washout. I am not saying you won't have any, but less than some other methods.