PDA

View Full Version : edging???

foggyjr5
01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a customer that called today, and he wants something done around the playground set. He would like to have rubber mulch, but he is unsure about the edging around it. I suggested railroad ties, and he didn't like that at all. Next I told him about the 6 x 6 x 8 timbers. Then he told me that he doesn't care too much for the square look. Any Suggestions?? Also if you could share any jobs that you have done.

bigviclbi
01-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Most hardscape suppliers have a product called edgestone which is like belgium block but can be picked up in an assortment of colors. check out ephenry.com for an example.

TerraVenture
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I usually use 2x8 on edge. You could use 5/4 decking on edge and back cut with a circular saw so you can bend it easier.

Dreams To Designs
01-21-2006, 07:41 AM
To go along with your rubber mulch, there is rubber edging. It is specifically designed to be used around playgrounds. Most of the larger producers of rubber playground mulch market the rubber curb to be used as edging. It would not make sense to use a hard or sharp edging to retain the rubber mulch around a playground area. The whole point is to be safe and soft for the kids playing there. Is this a homeowners playground or a public or commercial site? You may have to think about ADA requirements if not a residential site.

Kirk

http://www.rubbermulch.com/curbs.htm

foggyjr5
01-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks Kirk! That really helps. I think i can talk them into getting that, and it looks like it is pretty easy to install. Have you used it before??

Thanks,
Matt

Dreams To Designs
01-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Matt, no I haven't installed it. I have seen it installed and it works very well. Check with your supplier for the mulch, either he can get it or hopefully where they are buying the mulch has a source. If not you can contact the people from the link I posted and I'm sure they can help you out. They will even give you information on the recommended installation method for the rubber much and the curbing for a playground.

Kirk