PDA

View Full Version : Alright big mulch job need some guidance!

Craftybigdog
01-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey guys I was asked to bid on a large mulch job for a hospital and it will take 500yds of mulch. How in the world do you charge for this and bid it fair? I can get mulch at 16.00 a yd delivered when I buy it a 18 wheeler load. But how much for labor? Thank you.

MMLawn
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey guys I was asked to bid on a large mulch job for a hospital and it will take 500yds of mulch. How in the world do you charge for this and bid it fair? I can get mulch at 16.00 a yd delivered when I buy it a 18 wheeler load. But how much for labor? Thank you.

First, you should certainly be able to find a better deal for 500 yards than $16.00 a yard. That's all I pay for premium mulch just buying it 1-5 yards at the time. For 500 yards I could get it for between $8-12.00 a yard.

Second, that much I'd look at "subbing" it out so to speak and have it blown in. You should be able to do that for $16-$18.00 a yard and not even have to do the work. I have one site (4 buildings) that takes 700 yards and that is what i do.

Green-Pro
01-20-2006, 09:24 PM
yeah,what he said

Shadetree Ltd
01-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Contact any/all local bark blowing companies. We have used them for many jobs in the past with great success. You may not net as much, but the time you would spend doing the job compared to them is not worth it. Mark them up a percentage and make your normal margins doing something else at the same time.

Scott

sheshovel
01-21-2006, 01:43 AM
MM,I pay $38.00 to 42.00 a yard MY price..now you know why I have to charge so much..that is not delivered price either.

AGLA
01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Mulch pricing is very regional. The cost is mostly depenent on shipping.

Bark blowers in my area get $65 per yard (complete).

I have a belief that if you can not price something, you should not do it.

mdb landscaping
01-21-2006, 11:20 AM
If you were a little closer we could blow it in for you with our blower truck. we really havent done any jobs in jersey yet with our blower, but we go to Mass and Ny all the time.

rscritch
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I have a belief that if you can not price something, you should not do it.

if thats they case then your bussiness would never be able to grow, some of us wernt born knowing how to bid every thing and we learn as we go

Lux Lawn
01-21-2006, 11:34 AM
For that much mulch I would defiantly think about having it blown in as MM said.

scaper27
01-22-2006, 12:08 AM
charge your regular rate as for any other mulch job. Thats my opinion. Just hire more guys for a day or two.

justanotherlawnguy
01-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Not to be an a$$, but if you have to ask, its probably a job that you should pass on.

Buying that much mulch you should be getting a better deal. And isnt 500 yards, like 5 semi loads. Have you ever seen how big a pile that a semi leaves behind? ITs huge, you will need a bobcat and a Mexican Army to sling that much mulch.

Being a hospital, they will probably expect it delivered and installed for $12/yard. They typically go with the lowballer as well!!!!!

May the force be with you.

NNJLandman
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
On such a larger job you gotta be able to cut costs, think about it, if you order one hat from hat depot its $20.00, but if you order 50 the price decreases. So Crafty I would figure out a rate per yard that is the most reasonable yet you will profit from obviously Im sure you know this. I would try talking to the mulch supplier, explain your going to be purchasing 500 yds of mulch, thats a large order, they should be able to give you a slashed rate for trucking or per yard. Good luck.

Jeff

M RASCOE&SONS
02-04-2006, 04:22 PM
i charge 65 per yd installed .with a job that size your gonna nd a sample of the product to show the hospital rep and get the okay on color and quality of product.i would give them a price of 55 per yd and if the liked it i would get 200 yds delivered at a time (roughly 3 dumptrailor loads).depending on the suplier i would think you could get that qauntity for for 12 or 13 per yard delivered .i would use my dump truck and skidsteer to haul the mulch around the property to say 3 helpers with 1yd wheel barrows(maybe a 4th helper).IMO you could get it done in a wk weather permiting .say you pay your guys 15 per hr and you take 40 hrs to do job with 4 helpers thats $2400 in labor,if it takes the full 500 yds and you get it for 13 per yd delivered thats $6500 for the material,if the hospital goes for the $55 per yd thats $27,500 subtract the labor and material costs you can put $18,600 in your pocket minus fuel costs not bad for say 5 days work but lookin at the quantity depending on the site condition it could take you longer but still there is good money to be made IMO..goodluck

Craftybigdog
02-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you, thats what I was looking for. I will probably get a 2 yd bucket for my Bobcat A300. They way I can shuttle it around.

Remsen1
02-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I want to hear how you decide to go on this one and whether you win the bid. Being a small operation with no employees and a bid situation, I don't think I would submit a bid. However, if I really thought I could pull it off, I would make sure not to price it too competively, I wouldn't want to be the lowest bid, and given my inexperience at a job of this scale, I wouldn't want to price my materials too tightly. In other words, I would markup the price of the materials, then mark it up again this way I wouldn't be left with digging into my own pocket if the job needs more the 500 yards of mulch. For example if I could get the mulch for $12 per yard, I would start marking it up from say $18 per yard.

It seems risky to me without a precisely written contract. Who estimated 500 yards of mulch? Was this estimated at 1", 2", 3". Was it estimated as a top dressing or a full install. For 500 yards of mulch I'm guessing that some of the beds are going to be a long shuttle from the mulch pile. This sounds like a really big job. It might end up being as much as 500 hours.

Craftybigdog
02-07-2006, 12:59 PM
No Im gonnna price it at I think 55 a yard. It took 500 yds last year. So this will be a dressing up. I really like challenges like this. I will probably call a temp agency and get 8 guys thru them for the week. I will let you know how it turns out though.

rodfather
02-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I really like challenges like this. I will probably call a temp agency and get 8 guys thru them for the week. I will let you know how it turns out though.

You're kidding, right?

Are they all getting their own personal skidsteers and front end loaders?

Do you have any idea/clue how much 500 yards of mulch is? Try like 7 dump trailers.

Craftybigdog
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Guys relax I have alot of equipment, and even more if I need it. I know exactly how much it is, and how many 18 wheeler loads. I have 2 skidsteers myslef and a dump truck. It will be taken care of. I started this just to get your input, Im not new at this just this much, I just wanted to know if there was a easy way to do it. But like anything in life there isnt an easy way.

mdb landscaping
02-07-2006, 07:21 PM
sub it to a mulch blower guy, and make your couple of a bucks per yard without any effort. unless you really need the work.......but its almost a no brainer to sub it out.

Shadetree Ltd
02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
There ABSOLUTELY is an easier way, it would be to have it blown in. Have you checked your local prices for this? If you mark it up 10 or 15% (more if you can get them at a good rate) and spend your time working on another project or two making even more money. The companies around here could have that done in two days.

Scott

Craftybigdog
02-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Thats actually what Im in the process of doing, I believe that would be the simplist route. No one wants to do a 500 yd mulch job. So having it blown in is looking better and better. Thanks for the inputs guys!

mdb landscaping
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
hey crafty.....not sure if you are still looking at pricing or not, but im gonna check with the boss tomorrow. we may drive our truck down to DE for 500 yards. like i said, not sure if you are still entertaining prices or not.

Craftybigdog
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Okay, check on a price. Thanks

sgallaher
02-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Crafty - Good luck on the job. The U of D has all of their mulch blown in twice a year I think. Not to sure of what company they use. If you do use a mulch blowing company post it on here, I would be interested in their contact info. Good luck.

EA Quinn
02-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I provided Jason with a price for us to come down and blow the mulch in. We arent that local to you guys, but if you have a multi hundred yard job you need blown in, we will travel to delaware. our contact info is:

E.A. Quinn Landscape Contracting Inc.
109 Commerce St.
Glastonbury, CT 06033

www.eaquinn.com
Matt@eaquinn.com

Craftybigdog
02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Thank you for getting back to me with a price so quickly!

salandscape
02-11-2006, 12:35 AM
AGLA, I'm glad to know you where born knowing how to price everything, you must have a great business. For the rest of us, I guess we'll have to ask questions when we want to learn something new, but hey good for you.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-11-2006, 07:31 AM
I am amazed at the negativity here..... Isn't this site here for us to use each other to learn?

Good luck with the bid, however you decide to do it. How do you succeed without taking risks.......??

Derek

Craftybigdog
02-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Thank you guys!

YardPro
02-12-2006, 11:50 PM
MM,I pay $38.00 to 42.00 a yard MY price..now you know why I have to charge so much..that is not delivered price either.

that is becuase they have to go through and pick ou all the parts from the tree huggers that got fed through the shredder, still clinging to that innocent tree...weightlifter

mulch prices vary widely from area to area... I see a lot of >>> well i pay $X here, and others say that is way high or low...

depends on what kind of processing plant is nearby, and what volumes they do.. and what testing regulaitons they go through..

here local small quanitiy is about $23.00/yd... an 80 yard tractor trailer load is about $1k.

kmann
02-13-2006, 10:56 PM
i charge 65 per yd installed .with a job that size your gonna nd a sample of the product to show the hospital rep and get the okay on color and quality of product.i would give them a price of 55 per yd and if the liked it i would get 200 yds delivered at a time (roughly 3 dumptrailor loads).depending on the suplier i would think you could get that qauntity for for 12 or 13 per yard delivered .i would use my dump truck and skidsteer to haul the mulch around the property to say 3 helpers with 1yd wheel barrows(maybe a 4th helper).IMO you could get it done in a wk weather permiting .say you pay your guys 15 per hr and you take 40 hrs to do job with 4 helpers thats $2400 in labor,if it takes the full 500 yds and you get it for 13 per yd delivered thats $6500 for the material,if the hospital goes for the $55 per yd thats $27,500 subtract the labor and material costs you can put $18,600 in your pocket minus fuel costs not bad for say 5 days work but lookin at the quantity depending on the site condition it could take you longer but still there is good money to be made IMO..goodluck
There is a Nursery down the Street that advertises in the local paper, Cypress or Pine bark Mulch 20.00 per Yard, 30.00 installed. I can't compete against that. And if someone calls to have it done, they usually read the ad to you.

Stafford Landscaping
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
We usually charge about 35.00 a yard to to put out mulch.
14.00 a yard for the mulch and about 21.00 a yard for labor.
But you can't always use that because some jobs are to small.
But on a job like that I would defintely use a bark blower.
I had a company come in and blow a hill side for me and it was
about 40.00 a yard blowen and they did the clean up and all I did
was add a percentage to there price on my bill to the customer
and watched while they worked.

lance1
02-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I sub'd out a large job to a mulch blower last year and got it done for $45/yard.
Then marked that up to the going rate for the area $55/yard. All this with one call at 1PM and it was done that evening by 8:30 PM!

Groundcover Solutions
02-22-2006, 04:31 PM
A great resource is www.mulchblowing.com that will send an email to Express Blower and they will forward it to your local mulch blowing company. Or you can directly call EB and the would be more than happy to give you the contact info for a local company. I know it can be hard when you are trying to locate one we don't do a ton of advertising!!??

Craftybigdog
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Thank you for all the help guys!