PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone use workers comp?

Collin
01-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I am a one man operation pt. I am bringing one man also on pt should I get workers comp? I am doing alot of commercial prop.

CLARK LAWN
01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
absolutly. its a percentage of what you pay him. whether doing commercial or residental you should have it

Gatewayuser
01-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Yes if you have anyone working with you HAVE TO BY LAW and a lot of commercial props make you have it also. Good luck this year!:waving:

sildoc
01-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes if you have anyone working with you HAVE TO BY LAW and a lot of commercial props make you have it also. Good luck this year!:waving:
Like said above most commercial props require it. If your worker gets hurt you are liable for all medical costs. It is just not worth not having it.

lawn_pro
01-20-2006, 09:45 PM
yes, you should have workmans comp-for two part(?) time employees..

drsogr
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Its not required in all states by law. In kansas you can have up to 20,000 in payroll without paying workmans comp. The cheapest I have been able to find it in kansas is $800. This makes it pretty hard to justify needing it.

Collin
01-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Where have you found the besst and cheapest?

YardPro
01-21-2006, 07:51 AM
collin.....
in NC wrokman's comp is only required if you have three or more FULL TIME EMPLOYEES....

i do suggest carrying it, as it will reduce your liability if someone gets hurt.

Collin
01-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all of your help.

little green guy
01-22-2006, 01:53 AM
you'r not going to find the "best" or "cheapest" because it's all based off a percentage of your payroll. The way it works, at least in New Jersey is your agent will put you in for comp and a carrier will be assigned to you by the state.
There are different rates for different catagories such as landscape, lawn
miant, snow plowing ect... then at the end of you coverage year they will audit you and if you are over your estimated payroll for the year they bill you for the extra.

AintNoFun
01-22-2006, 03:19 AM
you'r not going to find the "best" or "cheapest" because it's all based off a percentage of your payroll. The way it works, at least in New Jersey is your agent will put you in for comp and a carrier will be assigned to you by the state.
There are different rates for different catagories such as landscape, lawn
miant, snow plowing ect... then at the end of you coverage year they will audit you and if you are over your estimated payroll for the year they bill you for the extra.

another reason to love jersey.. i actually just switched insurance co's and the new company went through all of our old paperwork and we got 6 grand back cuz we were overcharged....

6'7 330
01-22-2006, 05:57 AM
No Workers comp= Your ass might be in a sausage grinder, if an employee gets hurt on the job.

Justcutitshort
01-22-2006, 07:44 AM
I am a one man operation pt. I am bringing one man also on pt should I get workers comp? I am doing alot of commercial prop.

Yes, you should

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes, If you are going to have employees whether your state requires it or not it is still a good biz practice.

QualityLawnCare4u
01-22-2006, 08:46 AM
This is an excellent question I have also been wondering about. What if you only need some help once in a great while, like a one day shrub job or cleaning uo after a storm? I have gotten others to help in a pinch once in awhile but do to bad health this coming season was thinkink about hiring someone part time (if I have enough accounts left to justify) and was also curious about workers comp. I was told (not official) in Georgia had to have 3 employs but with my luck I would hire someone and they would get hurt the first week and sue me.

Green-Pro
01-22-2006, 09:03 AM
No Workers comp= Your ass might be in a sausage grinder, if an employee gets hurt on the job.

Exactly all the other reasons to have or not have really don't mean squat.

Bill has just given you the #1 reason to have work comp

Really the part about your nether regions being caught in a sausage grinder could be applied to nearly any type of business insurance. I see these threads over and over again should I have or not have general liability ins. work comp ins. ? If you are looking to shave a few bucks from the cost of operating a legitimate business and yet still CYA, do it somewhere else, why risk all that you work for? Pointless IMHO

YardPro
01-22-2006, 10:12 PM
also don't go into a fund... they are very risky..

i went with a fund years back becuase they were cheaper... paid my $3K and a month later they were bankrupt from a lawsuit... didn't see a dime of my money back.. had to go to another carrier and shell out again.