PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Out

Al Jackson
01-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm looking to purchasing this franchise (http://www.spraygreen.net) some time this year. Please give me your take on the company. I sent a thread prior to this, but the link did not work, so I'm sending it again. Organic Vets please help me out here. I also want to know if organic fertilizer works as good as fertilizer from TGCL?:waving:

joe7588
01-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't see any weed control, grub control or anything besides liquid fert. unless it's all in that one spray and they really don't say.

NattyLawn
01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
All right, I checked out the SprayGreen website and it does say that insect control is in the fert. As a franchisee, I would want to know what's in the fert because I'm sure a few customers will want to know as well. It seems awfully expensive too, either 87.5 or 92.5 to start up...Ouch.
Here's the one paragraph that would scare me off:

Most customers elect to have their lawn and garden treated about once a month, to sustain the benefits of using SprayGreen. But unlike many lawn care companies, SprayGreen doesn't require year-long commitments or contracts. We come and spray when YOU decide your lawn needs it.

IMO, you're asking for lots of trouble there. Honestly, you're going to get customers who don't want to spend a lot of money. Well, you might only go to some customers a few times a year, and that's going to hurt your bottom line, as the franchise is still going to want their cut at the end of the year, and you only have 200 customers picking out a few apps...What will you have left for you at the end of the year?
It's a franchise and if you're thinking of buying into it, you need to do as much research as possible before dropping coin and going forward.

NattyLawn
01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I also want to know if organic fertilizer works as good as fertilizer from TGCL?

Yes, organic fertilizer will work as good as TGCL's fert. The difference between synthetic and organic ferts are well documented, and I would do a search on here or google it. Organic ferts feed the soil, while synthetic ferts feed the turf. TGCL's famous fert is 46-0-0 which greens the turf and makes it grow. Problem is it destroys the soil at the same time with it's high salt content, making the turf dependent on getting that N boost every 4-6 weeks to stay alive. Whether it be the lawn condition or bad customer service, the average TGCL customers lasts 2-3 years, and then most move on to other companies. Just be ready to snatch them up.

Al Jackson
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
All right, I checked out the SprayGreen website and it does say that insect control is in the fert. As a franchisee, I would want to know what's in the fert because I'm sure a few customers will want to know as well. It seems awfully expensive too, either 87.5 or 92.5 to start up...Ouch.
Here's the one paragraph that would scare me off:

Most customers elect to have their lawn and garden treated about once a month, to sustain the benefits of using SprayGreen. But unlike many lawn care companies, SprayGreen doesn't require year-long commitments or contracts. We come and spray when YOU decide your lawn needs it.

IMO, you're asking for lots of trouble there. Honestly, you're going to get customers who don't want to spend a lot of money. Well, you might only go to some customers a few times a year, and that's going to hurt your bottom line, as the franchise is still going to want their cut at the end of the year, and you only have 200 customers picking out a few apps...What will you have left for you at the end of the year?
It's a franchise and if you're thinking of buying into it, you need to do as much research as possible before dropping coin and going forward.

Natty, thanks for all the good information. Actually, there's no royalty fee with spraygreen. I would have to purchase the fertilizer from them. Is there anything else that comes to mind that I should be looking for?

muddstopper
01-22-2006, 12:38 AM
I would certainly want to know what is in their products. The website only says it works, not what it is made from. I have my doubts about the benefits of their products. I have my doubts about most of the commercial organic products (of this type), out there as well. Liquid organic products have a tendency to turn putrid in a very short time. If you open the jug and it smells like rotten eggs then you are wasting your money.

Al Jackson
01-22-2006, 04:46 AM
I would certainly want to know what is in their products. The website only says it works, not what it is made from. I have my doubts about the benefits of their products. I have my doubts about most of the commercial organic products (of this type), out there as well. Liquid organic products have a tendency to turn putrid in a very short time. If you open the jug and it smells like rotten eggs then you are wasting your money.

Thanks for the reply mudstooper. Why do you doubt the benefits?

muddstopper
01-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Good soil is made up of minerals, air, water, microbes.
You cant make grow healthy plants without good soil, fertilizer (as in chemical fertilizers) destroys the soil, so If fertilizer destroys the soil you cant grow healthy plants with fertilizer. Simple truths..

Most of the organic products on the market only address part of the problem. They want to apply much needed microbes with out a microbe food source,
the the microbes die and you loose any benefit they might have provided. Other manufacturers try to address the microbe food sources problem by adding organic materials that are high in nitrogen, but this just feeds part of the microbes and establishes an imbalance of nitrogen feeding microbes and nitrogen fixing microbes. When manufacturers stop selling products based on NPK to feed the plants and start thinking about proteins and carbohydrates to feed the microbes, then you will find good organic products on the market. Right now, most of the products only have a limited value and are extremely overpriced. They are still better than the alternative source of chemical fertilizers, just not as good as they could be.

Al Jackson
01-23-2006, 11:08 PM
You cant make grow healthy plants without good soil, fertilizer (as in chemical fertilizers) destroys the soil, so If fertilizer destroys the soil you cant grow healthy plants with fertilizer. Simple truths..

Most of the organic products on the market only address part of the problem. They want to apply much needed microbes with out a microbe food source,
the the microbes die and you loose any benefit they might have provided. Other manufacturers try to address the microbe food sources problem by adding organic materials that are high in nitrogen, but this just feeds part of the microbes and establishes an imbalance of nitrogen feeding microbes and nitrogen fixing microbes. When manufacturers stop selling products based on NPK to feed the plants and start thinking about proteins and carbohydrates to feed the microbes, then you will find good organic products on the market. Right now, most of the products only have a limited value and are extremely overpriced. They are still better than the alternative source of chemical fertilizers, just not as good as they could be.

Thanks for all the good information, Muddstopper. You have mentioned several things I should look for in this product. Obviously, I should ask how they addressed the microbe food source problem. If they added organic materials that are high in nitrogen, protein and carbs?

muddstopper
01-23-2006, 11:39 PM
since I cant edit my previous post I will do it here.

Should have read,Good soil is made up of minerals, air, water, Humis.

To take that a little further.

We are what we eat. We are eating food derived from fertilizer grown plants. If you cant grow healthy plants with fertilizer, we cant be eating healthy foods. If we aren't eating healthy foods then, we cant be healthy people.

Plants can live off fertilizers as we can live off junk food. the obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc., etc., is a result of what we eat.

NattyLawn
01-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Good analogy. I like to compare chem ferts to sugar when talking to customers, but I should change it to high fructose corn syrup, which supposedly is one of the causes of all those health problems listed above...

Yard
03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
From the spraygreen website:

You also receive:

Five SprayGreen golf shirts, with custom front and rear embroidery
Two SprayGreen jackets, with custom front and rear embroidery
Two SprayGreen caps, with custom front and rear embroidery
Ten hand towels, with custom top and bottom embroidery
Six SprayGreen printed cup holders
5000 business cards
5000 door hangers
2500 reminder post cards
2500 marketing magnets
2500 envelopes
2500 tri-fold brochures
25 yard signs
12.5 gallon jug of Round-Up :confused:
Two quarts of visible spray dye
76 2.5 gallon jugs of SprayGreen liquid fertilizer
One theft-proof locking jug rack, which holds six 2.5 gallon jugs of fertilizer
Two custom backpack sprayers with company logos
Two #4 backpack spray tips

When did round-up become organic?

fireshawn
03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Why do you want to franchise? Find an organic company that sells the products you want to apply, or a bunch of different companys and mix and match to fit the customer and you make the rules. There are numerous companies that make and sell organic products for the home landscape. You can buy your own sprayers, get flyers that advertise your info-not corporate(SP?) stuff. Sorry, I just got into this business so I was the boss, not some suit somewhere that tells me what to do.

shawn

landdetail
12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Did you get involved with spraygeen since your first inquiry about them?Did any one else out there get involved with then.

Smallaxe
12-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Why do you want to franchise? Find an organic company that sells the products you want to apply, or a bunch of different companys and mix and match to fit the customer and you make the rules. There are numerous companies that make and sell organic products for the home landscape. You can buy your own sprayers, get flyers that advertise your info-not corporate(SP?) stuff. Sorry, I just got into this business so I was the boss, not some suit somewhere that tells me what to do.

shawn

Good advice IMO.
Franchises mean that one size fits all and they have the perfect size.
We still need independant thinking, observation, and practical application of ideas in this market.

On one of my lawns I have decided no fertilizer this spring/summer , rather molasses.
Thinking, "Outside the box". Corporate franchise thinking cannot risk going outside the box.

Bricon
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I just received my information from Spraygreen, and was wondering if anyone got involved with them since the original post?

NattyLawn
01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Good advice IMO.
Franchises mean that one size fits all and they have the perfect size.
We still need independant thinking, observation, and practical application of ideas in this market.

On one of my lawns I have decided no fertilizer this spring/summer , rather molasses.
Thinking, "Outside the box". Corporate franchise thinking cannot risk going outside the box.

Why molasses only? Why not mix that with compost tea, fish, seaweed, humic acid and give the soil a balanced meal?

landdetail
01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
I looked into it and it is not worth the $97,500.00 you have to invest in. I have looked at and compared their MSDS sheet with a product I found on the internet and they appear to be the same. I have personally seen an application applied recently. The product does not seem to work in the winter months and it did nothing to the ants and fleas. The deterrant for pests in their product is garlic oil. It is only a deterrant and not a miracle pesticide. Search the internet about Spraygreen and you will find out alot like I did and you will be surprised at what you find out. I have personally talked to some of the owners and their businesses have not done what they claim you can achieve with this business. I have been in this trade for many years and people are not going to pay someone what the gardener usually includes in his service or does not charge a ridiculous price to fertilize their lawn. Especially in a down-turn economy because everyone is cutting back on their expenses. If you want to get involved in organic lawn care, there are plenty of distributors you can buy the product from!! Dont pay for someone else's idea that you can do yourself. You can buy all the product and spray rig yourself, and have your own truck customized your way with YOUR phone number, and for a lot less. Believe me. Buyer beware.

humble1
02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I inquired in w/ spraygreen in the early spring 07. First round up can not be applied if you dont have a pesticide license. 2nd if you are going to get a pesticide license you dont need spray green. They dont have control products. They use a liquid fert made for them that they resell. They say all natural. Natural is NOT true organic.
I will sell you all the stuff they will give you for $10,000 less than that and ill put your name on it. I will get you some clothing and door hangers, I will teach you how to hang door hangers to market your buisness, i will even sell you gallon jugs of product after that because i only want to make money on the "juice" isnt that what they call it.
That is one expensive truck and marketing package there.
Read alot here, buy a good truck , contact rnd signs and you can build your own biz. There are a lot of good people here that can give some good advice. GOOD LUCK

slntsteve
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
i was searching for spraygreen info when i came here. its alot to have one of those trucks already configured and from what i got from the free dvd, your utilizing a business model that would give you a head start and presumably spraying lawns in a short amount of time, taken your actually out there trying!

currently in my 4th year as a window cleaning business owner and am seeing a great yearly income! enough to not want to do anything else. but stumbled upon spraygreen and was interested, not in the price but at the option of not climbing ladders and carrying around a heavy bucket and sqeegee's... :)

i no nothing of this business and what it can do for the business owner. have no idea what it would cost to put together a spray truck myself or if its worth it. i started my current busines with $100 bucks and have grown to make almost a six figure income this year! so risking almost six figures in a spraygreen is scary to me!

i know this post was no help, but just to let all of you know that there is another spraygreen guy on here looking for information... :)

steve

Smallaxe
02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Why molasses only? Why not mix that with compost tea, fish, seaweed, humic acid and give the soil a balanced meal?

I'm glad this thread came back. This post came up while I was gone. The basic reason for the molasses is because of the more complex carbohydrates as opposed to the sugars. (So I've heard) What I am hoping to accomplish is activating a bacteria explosion that will hopefully digest more leaf litter more quickly.

CTs at this point is likely unnecessary because I have been promoting the local population of the AM fungi and others. No I haven't had it tested to be sure, but things would have to be drastically wrong that our Wisconsin microbes have stopped mulitiplying and spreading. Basically things look real good :)

treegal1
02-25-2008, 12:48 AM
holy smokes that means my business is worth 97 g s

van 12000 used
sprayer lesco 3500 peso
t shirts 400 beans
home built tea brewer 1500 clams
1000 sings (code enforce. steals them) 2000 shekels
misc expenses call it 12000 or 13000
lease, worms, top dresser used and so on.......

lets say 200 (Iwont say exactly)paying customers at 35 a head that's 7000 a month 12 moths a year

these are not exact #s just a conversation piece

wow 97 grands??????? that's hard to grasp

we only spend on average 2900 on exp per month

Barefoot James
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
You are lucky you found this site. Read as many threads as you can and you will see we will all help you if our are serious about doing something along the lines of using organics. Learn about Compost Tea and the many products and services you can offer without paying royalties etc. Spray Greens is a slick operation that may have an adequate product but going by your self and offering diversifying can long term make you more money.

After much research myself on Spray Green I think you can get the exact same products from www.natureslawn.com and then all you need is a logoed spray truck and start pounding the pavement. I use some of their products but I also use www.ictorganics.com products and organic approach products and I make my own!

Check out Tim Wilsons site and get a brewer and his CD's
http://www.microbeorganics.com/
Check out KIS site -
They are great CT guys-
http://www.simplici-tea.com/
Check out Rittenhouse for a sprayer - made for CT and affordable - hypro pump and honda engine
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1066

Just read, read read.

See how much we can help you? You have many options.

treegal1
02-25-2008, 01:09 AM
james pm a good email

treegal1
02-25-2008, 01:12 AM
97 gs wow,,, I cant wait to tell every one at the office
97 gs thats us dollars ? 97000 wow !!!

slntsteve
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
yeah your all right, im glad i found this site as well! this is all good stuff, but i think that ill stick to my window cleaning business for awhile, especially if its making me a great income! ill still be around! i am gonna do some homework on how to put together a sweet spray truck! i presume you cannot buy those pre-made, you buy the truck and then find whatever sprayer you want to install in the back?