PDA

View Full Version : rubber mulch

skurtz78
01-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Do any of you use this mulch. I have never seen it in my area. I recently saw the rubber mulch at a home and garden show. It looked nice.

mrbray101
01-21-2006, 12:50 AM
they try and sell that stuff here. here it is just old tires cut up and dyed. Its supposed to be really durable etc. but it floats, looses color, and really hurts when the metal band from the tire gets stuck in your shin while line trimming. Im not sure if thats what your talking about but i didnt care for it too much.

Rrjp111
01-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Haven't used it looks nice I looked it up on the net pretty costly.

Guthrie&Co
01-21-2006, 01:13 AM
not to mention that the plants dont get the benifits of
- soil temperture control
- added organic matter which when breaks into humus added nutrients to the soil
- better water retention
- pine mulch has some what of a pest control. not much but definatly better than hardwoods

geogunn
01-21-2006, 01:32 AM
the rubber mulch does super in playgrounds but I don't think I'd want it for landscaping.

GEO :)

Hard Worker
01-21-2006, 01:46 AM
the rubber mulch does super in playgrounds but I don't think I'd want it for landscaping.

GEO :)

GEO is it clear of any steel bands? Just wondering when the first lawsuit would stem from a kid getting cut with this stuff. We only have one place close that I know of that sells the stuff and havent seen any spread yet, just curious. By the way what part of the state are you from?:waving:

mrbray101
01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
i think there might be rubber mulch that isnt made from tires, but down here all i see is the tire chunks, you cant really tell until you look closely and read that your mulch is 255/60/15 and made by michelin. Ive noticed that the "tire shreds" are even more expensive here than pine mulch, or the other wooded mulch.

Precision
01-21-2006, 10:43 AM
rubber mulch from everlast or a similar company is 99.99% wire free. they grind it in a way that removes the rubber from the carcass but not the wire. Then they run the mulch under very strong magnets to collect all the mulch that did get some wire in it. Buy a bag. $10-14 and try to find some metal.

There are also two choices in texture, double grind, looks like shredded cypress or coarse grind. Looks like a goodyear tire puzzle.

I find it to be a good alternative to rock for many people. similar price but much easier on the labor front and the enviromentally conscious people are very glad to be recycling.

Here organic mulch runs from $18 - 30 a yard rubber mulch runs from $155 to 240 per yard.

baddboygeorge
02-02-2006, 11:38 PM
we tried it a few times an it burned the roots balls like no tommorrow i had several plants die so i never used again. the stuff attracts major heat an that root structure cant handle them temps hope that helps see ya

Doug Z.
02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Alright, there are too many misconceptions about the rubber mulch. I've been working with it for five years now, and given the choice, there is nothing else I would install.
For starters, I will give you the fact that you dont get any composting value from it, but that is as far as I will go on the negatives that you guys have pointed out. All of a sudden, there are a bunch of people trying to make it, and they dont know anything about doing it. They take the tires, chunk them, and color them, and call them rubber mulch. Rubberific mulch has taken the time and done some research on the material. As for the negatives pointed out, rubbermulch is 5 times heavier than wood mulch, so it does NOT float, it does not hold the moisture in the mulch, like regular mulch does, but instead it lets the moisture into the soil, and helps hold the moisture there, Rubberific uses a UV protectant, so the mulch will only get 2 to 3 degrees warmer than it is outside. For this reason, and others, the government has rated it the safest product you can use in playgrounds. I have put it in pereniall gardens, and have had no ill effects. Also, rubberific mulch deters weeds and insects, unlike traditional wood mulch.
This does not mean that I dont still use wood mulch, it does have its place, but if the budget is there, id use this any day. Any other questions, you can check my web page, or email me.
WWW. Rubberificmulchofnew.com

Precision
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Alright, there are too many misconceptions about the rubber mulch. I've been working with it for five years now, and given the choice, there is nothing else I would install.
For starters, I will give you the fact that you dont get any composting value from it, but that is as far as I will go on the negatives that you guys have pointed out. All of a sudden, there are a bunch of people trying to make it, and they dont know anything about doing it. They take the tires, chunk them, and color them, and call them rubber mulch. Rubberific mulch has taken the time and done some research on the material. As for the negatives pointed out, rubbermulch is 5 times heavier than wood mulch, so it does NOT float, it does not hold the moisture in the mulch, like regular mulch does, but instead it lets the moisture into the soil, and helps hold the moisture there, Rubberific uses a UV protectant, so the mulch will only get 2 to 3 degrees warmer than it is outside. For this reason, and others, the government has rated it the safest product you can use in playgrounds. I have put it in pereniall gardens, and have had no ill effects. Also, rubberific mulch deters weeds and insects, unlike traditional wood mulch.
This does not mean that I dont still use wood mulch, it does have its place, but if the budget is there, id use this any day. Any other questions, you can check my web page, or email me.
WWW. Rubberificmulchofnew.com

great stuff, only problem is advertisers are supposed to pay to advertise.

mslawn
02-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I have looked at the everlast rubber mulch, still maybe considering trying it in a few beds. I have it around this mailbox(brown) and a round the little azelea bed to the left(red).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/546659674/2288909640084793557kMSXBs

PurpHaze
02-05-2006, 12:35 PM
There are different uses for the "rubber mulch" and the one you guys seem to be concerned about is as a topical mulch. Another use for what I was introduced to as "crumb rubber" was over 12 years ago at a landscaping conference. The crumb rubber was used in Lancaster, CA when a new 8-field softball complex was being constructed. Half the site had the crumb rubber incorporated into the soil while the other half was prepared in the standard method. Both sides were seeded in the fall and come March of the next year the fields with the crumb rubber were being played on while the non-additive fields had to wait another three months for play. Incorporating the crumb rubber into the soil combatted compaction which allowed for better root depth, water penetration and getting fertilizers deeper into the root zone. About four years ago I was down in the area and decided to swing by these fields. To this day the crumb rubber fields still look much healthier than the fields without it.

Grass Cake
02-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Do any of you use this mulch. I have never seen it in my area. I recently saw the rubber mulch at a home and garden show. It looked nice.

I installed 22 tons that a local Elementary School had delivered.

The Principal told me he paid $9000.00 dollars to have it delivered. VERY EXPENSIVE STUFF!

It's very spongy for falls under the swings,jungle jims etc.

Grass Cake

PurpHaze
02-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I installed 22 tons that a local Elementary School had delivered.

The Principal told me he paid $9000.00 dollars to have it delivered. VERY EXPENSIVE STUFF!

It's very spongy for falls under the swings,jungle jims etc.

Grass Cake

In our area they're using a "soft fall" product that really is glorified wood chips. Contrary to their claim dogs/cats will still urinate/defecate in it and if the stuff gets too wet a "dog vomit" looking mold grows.

Doug Z.
02-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Prescision, if educating people on the product that people are bashing without knowing anything about is advertising, I guess then I am.

kmann
02-14-2006, 10:54 PM
We have a Lowes here that is really starting to sell this stuff. They tell homeowners that it will last forever and not break down. "yea it costs more but will save you money in the long run". That is the speech.

kmann
02-14-2006, 10:57 PM
great stuff, only problem is advertisers are supposed to pay to advertise.
Not too mention Termites and Carpenter Ants are not big fans of it like Pine Bark.

PurpHaze
02-14-2006, 11:32 PM
They tell homeowners that it will last forever and not break down.

Neither does concrete and other hardscaping materials. clapping