PDA

View Full Version : Pace trailers

PLS-Tx
01-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Does anyone use a Pace enclosed trailer, If so how do you like it?

I'm trying to decide between Pace and Wells Cargo.

I'm planning to get a 8.5x20.

Larry Davis
01-21-2006, 08:32 AM
TAC,

I have had a Pace for about 10 years now. Excellent, well made trailer. However, Wells Cargo is also a very good, well made trailer. You can't go wrong with either make. If it where me, I would simply get whichever one I good get the best deal on.

PLS-Tx
01-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks Larry,

I'm looking at a Pace Cargosport, from what I can tell they are built very well.

Glad to know you like your Pace after 10 years.

Which one do you have, Summit, Cargosport, or something else?

The Summit is their landscape trailer, but it only comes in 8' wide, I need 8.5.

Larry Davis
01-21-2006, 11:32 AM
TAC,

I have the Cargosport. Ramp rear door, single side door, front mounted spare tire. I am not commercial but this trailer is certainly built to withstand commercial use and abuse. I have 4 trailers (trailer rich, dirt poor) and by far this is the most versatile trailer I have ever owned. Will handle just about anything that will fit inside; commercial ZTRs, furniture, ATVs, motorcycles, you name it! Ramp door makes loading anything VERY easy.

Collin
01-21-2006, 07:01 PM
How much are they?

South Florida Lawns
01-21-2006, 08:05 PM
PACE and Wells both, well kinda shoddy quality.

Have you ever looked at them closely? Crappy welds,cheap paint, poor craftsmanship.

I have used both and unless you get the high end models you will hate them.

I'm just trying to warn you of the things I have learned on trailers, take your time and really look things over, because there is a lot of crap out there.

PLS-Tx
01-21-2006, 09:02 PM
PACE and Wells both, well kinda shoddy quality.

Have you ever looked at them closely? Crappy welds,cheap paint, poor craftsmanship.

I have used both and unless you get the high end models you will hate them.

I'm just trying to warn you of the things I have learned on trailers, take your time and really look things over, because there is a lot of crap out there.

What brand do you think is a good trailer?
Are you saying Wells Cargo is not a good trailer?

Btw the Pace I would get, if I decide to get a Pace, would be a Cargosport, this seems to be a well built trailer. Rear ramp door, side door, torsion Axles, 5k axles, 3/8 sidewalls with 3/4 kickplate, floor and walls on 16" center, side vents, dome lights.

There is probably more options, I'll post them later when I have more time.

lawnjockey51
01-21-2006, 09:08 PM
What about HAULMARK? I am also looking to buy one (7 X 14/16)

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 12:42 AM

I think Haulmark is a good trailer, around here they cost more than Pace.

Why would you get a 7' and not 8', just wondering?

Eclipse
01-23-2006, 12:54 AM
I agree I would certainly opt for an 8ft wide trailer.

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 01:25 AM
How much are they?

The Pace Cargosport I'm looking at is going to be 8k, if I get it from the local dealer.

I also got a price on a Wells Cargo, for just over 10k.

Larry Davis
01-23-2006, 07:34 AM
TAC,

Been so long since I paid any attention to the specs on my Pace Cargosport until I saw you post. It's 14' instead of 12' and it is a "Limited" but I can't remember what the differences were between a limited and a standard. Right now it is parked beside my 20' heavy equipment flatbed trailer and I can tell you this Pace has a main subframe and tongue just as heavy duty.

Don't know if this is something you would be interested in but, last I heard Pace trailers are still manufactured in Georgia and you can make arrangements with your dealer to pick it up directly from the factory. I seem to remember this saved me about $325.00. Of course gas was a tad bit cheaper 10 years ago!

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 10:12 AM
TAC

Don't know if this is something you would be interested in but, last I heard Pace trailers are still manufactured in Georgia and you can make arrangements with your dealer to pick it up directly from the factory. I seem to remember this saved me about $325.00. Of course gas was a tad bit cheaper 10 years ago!

They also have a plant in Waco Texas, I'm planning to look into that to see how much I can save. Waco is 275 miles from here, If I could save enough it would be worth it.

I did want to buy from the local dealer in case I had any warranty issues. The local dealer has been difficult to deal with, so I just might drive to Waco.

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
I starting to lean more towards a Wells Cargo, I went and looked at them today. They seem to be very well built, they must be to offer a 6 year warranty.

Does anyone have a Wells Cargo with the nose cone, I'm thinking of getting this option.

I did a search on here and the only neg I could find was the drag of the trailer, so I thought the nose cone would help.

Any imput would be great.

The quote came over the fax while I was typing this, I guess I could post all the options I'm planning on getting, so you guys can tell me what you think.

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone own a Wells Cargo?

What options would you recommend

PLS-Tx
01-23-2006, 10:59 PM

I said that Haulmark was a good trailer, went to the dealer today just to look.

Seen one trailer on the lot that was leaking in 2 or 3 spots and another trailer that the side door was really hard to open.:dizzy:

Eclipse
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Seen one trailer on the lot that was leaking in 2 or 3 spots and another trailer that the side door was really hard to open.:dizzy:

My 2000 Haulmark has been a great trailer. No leaks or structural instability whatsoever. It seems though that they have, along with some other manufactures, started to cheapen up their trailers a but to compete with some of the smaller trailer manufacturers. JMHO

Mbsausage
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
i have a 8 x 16 pace , here's the deal with them! they have a specific enclosed trailer for lamdscapers, it's the summit. all the woods pressure treated . super built, low to ground has a nice angle , i love mine . paid 5300 brand new!

PLS-Tx
01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
i have a 8 x 16 pace , here's the deal with them! they have a specific enclosed trailer for lamdscapers, it's the summit. all the woods pressure treated . super built, low to ground has a nice angle , i love mine . paid 5300 brand new!

Wow 5300, that must have been a few years ago.

I looked at the summit, it only comes in 8' widths, I need 8.5' for a 72" ztr. This is why I was looking at the Cargosport 8.5x20, it's just over 8k.

Have you had any problems with yours? I did a search on here, and I found a few guys that had some problems with Pace, but they may have had the Journey, which is the bottom of the line, I think.

Mbsausage
01-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow 5300, that must have been a few years ago.

I looked at the summit, it only comes in 8' widths, I need 8.5' for a 72" ztr. This is why I was looking at the Cargosport 8.5x20, it's just over 8k.

Have you had any problems with yours? I did a search on here, and I found a few guys that had some problems with Pace, but they may have had the Journey, which is the bottom of the line, I think.
i have a 61" scag with pleany of room, i think you can fit a 72 no problem. i bought mine from connecticut trailers. there a nation wide company. i got the trailer in the fall 05

Eclipse
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
8 foot will be fine for a 72. You are limited more so by the width between the wheel wheels than the width of the trailer. The width between the wheel wells is 82"-83". If it is 8' or 8.5' the width between the wheel wells does not change.

PLS-Tx
01-25-2006, 10:01 AM
8 foot will be fine for a 72. You are limited more so by the width between the wheel wheels than the width of the trailer. The width between the wheel wells is 82"-83". If it is 8' or 8.5' the width between the wheel wells does not change.

This is news to me, If I could find a 8' with 82"-83" between the wheel wells that would work fine. I have measured a Pace Journey and it was 77" between the wheel wells, this would work but it would be very tight.

Also, on the 8' there was 80" between the cables on the ramp, again this would work but it would be tight, and on the 8.5 there was 86" between the cables.

Thanks for the Info guys.

Eclipse
01-25-2006, 01:30 PM
This is news to me, If I could find a 8' with 82"-83" between the wheel wells that would work fine. I have measured a Pace Journey and it was 77" between the wheel wells, this would work but it would be very tight.

Also, on the 8' there was 80" between the cables on the ramp, again this would work but it would be tight, and on the 8.5 there was 86" between the cables.

I did look at an 8.5' with 81" between the wheel wells but I have yet to see one with less than that.

Good point about the cables I didn't even consider that.

It may not be that big of a deal anyway, most trailer I have looked at lately have been 8.5' anyway but some MFGs are still building an 8'.

PLS-Tx
01-26-2006, 12:01 AM

I hope it's legal to quote yourself, ha ha.

I wanted to clarify this, I found out these trailers had been through the hurricane we had back in Sep. I guess 165 mph winds could do that to a trailer.

Sorry if I offended any Haulmark owners. :p

2k1yzfr1
01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I have a 8x20 Pace Summit bought 3 years ago from Guthrie Trailer Sales here in Waco and I have had great luck with it. I really wanted a 24' but by the time you add 3/4" kick board and headboard, 12" centers on the floor, treated 3/4" it was $1500 more than the summit that came standard with all those options. I am almost positive all enclosed trailers are 77" between the wells and they pick up the other 6" in the walls. Call Preston or Ashley at 254 799-8898 and tell them Justin Gates told you about them. BTW make sure you get 2-12"x12" fuel doors on the side opposite the side door, if you are over 6' tall make sure you add atleast 6" extra height, and a couple extra vents on the front help bring in a little more air. The wood tailgate flap lasted me about a month, but Preston can build you a diamond tread one that will last forever.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Justin

2k1yzfr1
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
I forgot to tell you about some options that you need to make sure you have. And I'm tired of typing.

Call me at 254 744 9790

Justin

Eclipse
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
am almost positive all enclosed trailers are 77" between the wells

I have looked at Haulmak, Interstate, Haulin, and Royal Cargo and they have all been 80" plus. The narrowest was 81" but I do not remember which manufacturer that was now. I have been looking at way too many trailers :)

PLS-Tx
01-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Eclipse,

I think you said you have a 2000 Haulmark, what model is it, is it a Thirfty Hauler?

As far as the width between the wheel wells, I have only measured the Pace Journey 8x20, that I mentioned earlier, and a Haulmark 8.5x20 carhauler, the Haulmark was 83" between the wheel wells, and 86" between the cables.

PLS-Tx
01-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I have a 8x20 Pace Summit bought 3 years ago from Guthrie Trailer Sales here in Waco and I have had great luck with it. I really wanted a 24' but by the time you add 3/4" kick board and headboard, 12" centers on the floor, treated 3/4" it was $1500 more than the summit that came standard with all those options. I am almost positive all enclosed trailers are 77" between the wells and they pick up the other 6" in the walls. Call Preston or Ashley at 254 799-8898 and tell them Justin Gates told you about them. BTW make sure you get 2-12"x12" fuel doors on the side opposite the side door, if you are over 6' tall make sure you add atleast 6" extra height, and a couple extra vents on the front help bring in a little more air. The wood tailgate flap lasted me about a month, but Preston can build you a diamond tread one that will last forever.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Justin

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on getting the 2 fuel doors, I see this as a must. I'm not quite 6', but I think I'll get the 6" extra height. That's good to know about the wood ramp flap, I was wondering how those would hold up to everyday use. When you say a couple extra vents on the front, are you talking about roof vents, or side vents?

Thanks for the help, I'll try to give you a call.