PDA

View Full Version : Type N Mortar

Seabass2500
01-21-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm in the mid-west and have been using Type N mortar for almost all above ground stone work (walls, patios, etc.) I was randomly reading an article on mortar types and they were discussing that Type N is prepared by mixing Portland cement, Lime and Sand... I always use the Type N mortar mix, that I assumed was Portland & Lime, that I by in bags and mix with my bulk sand. I can't seem to find the ingredients for the Type N mix I use anywhere, even on their website. I was wondering if it is simply a Portland/lime mix or not.

Let me know if you know! :)

Thanks.

MarcusLndscp
01-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Seabass,
I think I actually found this website through someone else on LawnSite. Check it out.
http://www.mc2-ice.com/popular_conversion/popular_conversion_files/masonry/mortar.htm

Mark

Jason Rose
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi Seabass,
I think I actually found this website through someone else on LawnSite. Check it out.
http://www.mc2-ice.com/popular_conversion/popular_conversion_files/masonry/mortar.htm

Mark

Just wanted to thank you for sharing that site! Wow, that is going to be very helpful with anything and everything. I actually read most of the mortar classifications myself just for learnings sake!

Sounds like if you are buying "type N" the lime is already in the bag. If it wasn't it should just be labeled as portland cement and you would need to add the appropriate amount of lime and sand to MAKE "type N" mortar. That's just my take on it, I could be wrong...

Seabass2500
01-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the link Marcus, but I already have that site marked. :)

It just didn't say 'specifically' that the pre-mixed Type N mix from the store, whether it is just a Portland and Lime mix.

I agree with you Jason. I assume the same thing. If it didn't have the lime it would just be Portland cement. :) Again, I would just like to know exactly what is in it!

Squizzy246B
01-22-2006, 04:54 AM
Again, I would just like to know exactly what is in it!

From that site:

Each one has a certain proportion of Portland cement, hydrated lime and sand.

I think that says it all

maintenanceguy
01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
You can tell if the mix includes sand by feeling it. If it feels like sand, it is. Portland cement and lime are very soft powders.

Type N mortar: 1part portland, 1 part lime, 3 to 6 parts sand depending on the "workability" and strenght required.

Most pre-mixed mortars include sand. And so much of it that the quality of the mortar is pretty poor.