PDA

View Full Version : Hauling a mini excavator in a Dump

Bill Eh
01-21-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a 4000 pound mini excavator and I'm trying to decide on different options for hauling it. One option I considered was carrying it in the back of a dump truck. Say an F8000 or F9000 or perhaps a smaller one. Does anyone know how one would ramp into/out of one of these and still have a dump truck capability at your worksite. I'm struggling with the concept of having ramps heavy enough to take the weight of the excavator and yet portable enough to transport on the dump. Thanks! Bill

turfquip
01-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow, that sounds a little dangerous. Why not just find a trailer and be done with it? That or a roll back/roll off type set up.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
One of the contractors here had a ramp trailer you didn't carry the machine on it it was a ramp on wheels to get the machine into the box of the truck. You pulled the ramp trailer behind the dump truck when you wanted to unload or load the machine disconnect the trailer then back the truck up to the trailer. I think the wheels on the trailer lifted up so the trailer would sit on the ground no way it would support the machine walking down it.

The rental shop used to carry their 6000lb rental minis on a 550 Ford they had ramps it was a little scary walking the machine onto the truck. They were loading the the machine onto the truck one day and the machine was just on the deck and one of the ramps split out. They had a few other instances of the ramps slipping off the back of the deck of the truck.

The one way of loading a machine onto a truck is back into a bank (not where you put money) and walk the machine onto the bank or walk the machine onto the bank then back the truck into the bank walk the machine into the truck.

A truck with a Hiab is another good way of moving mini's pick the machine up put it on the deck.

gammon landscaping
01-22-2006, 11:43 PM
why not just take the current tailgate and instead of unhooking the bottom unlatch the top and let it come down, you will probably need to extend it some how to get the right angle. so when you need to load unlatch the top and let it drop and when you get the machine into the truck just use the machine to pull the gate back up behind you

gammon landscaping
01-22-2006, 11:44 PM
maybe a folding z system for the tail gate make a two piece system

4x4Jim
01-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Thats just too sketchy for me. The smartest and safest thing to do is get a trailer. If you shop around, you should be able to find for for $2000-2500.

Bill Eh
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I know it sounds a little scary and there are certainly better hauling ideas but some of the areas I would like to get into are very difficult turning a trailer around. I was thinking a dump to haul the excavator would be easier to maneuver. So far it doesn't sound like this is a common practice. Thanks for the comments and if there are anymore keep them coming. Thanks!

CrewCutEnterprises
01-23-2006, 07:14 PM
check out www.bucksfab.com

They put them in their dump beds, but its like a roll off body, but its an idea

SLSNursery
01-23-2006, 07:35 PM
We sell arched aluminum ramps that would work for you. I would think that the 10' long, 12" wide ones would reach even a tall truck, and I think they can be configured to hold 6-7000#. Shorter ones would be lighter weight, but could still be constructed to hold the weight.

I have a roll off that we move a regular forklift on (in excess of 8000#). For each ramp There are two short c-channels welded vertically at the back of the body about 16" apart, and a 3" wide, about 1/2" thick band of steel between them, sort of like a strap. I set up the ramps to have aluminum angle at the top facing down, like a hook to ride on the band, this way the ramps don't pull out. The spacing is a little wider than the ramps so they can be adjusted for width, without having to exactly match the body. Since this is a roll off, I only needed 5' ramps and they are doubled up to hold 10,000#. The point of this story is that to hold that weight, a regular sized human can hold 1-ramp in each hand. Quite easy to manage. And, with the angle set up, there is no need for cheap nylon straps that might pull out anyway.

As a side note, these ramps are quite useful for the case when a machine might get bogged down in the mud, especially a skid steer. We put the bucket down, and then place the ramps under the tires, and can usually get out of a hole.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
The only thing you have to make sure is your under 13'6" which you probably will be anyway. A rolloff truck is the best way to move a mini as you can drop the box on the ground. I don't like the idea of ramps as it only takes one wrong move and the machine is laying on its side.

Dirty Water
01-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Squizzy runs his Kubuta 161 around in his 9-ton mitsibushi dump. Perhaps he has a picture around here of loading it?