PDA

View Full Version : Dodge headlight switch melts when plow is on

tcls83
01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
This probably should be in the plowing forum, but I cant seem to subscribe to that for some reason. I have a problem with my headlight switch melting whenever I put my plow on- the wiring harness plug to the headlight is what usually melts. I've gone through 3 of them in the 2 years Ive had the truck. I checked my grounds, everything seems ok. I just got another new one from NAPA and I don't want to go through this again. I've heard people with 94-97 Dodges (The ones with the more squarish styled dash) sometimes have the same problem. Anyone have the same trouble, or know any other things I should check to cure this problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions. It has a Fisher 7.5 Minute Mount.

Maybe this should be in the repair forum, just realized that. This probably should be routed over there.

jc1
01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
I would install a relay into the circuit so that the head light switch activates the relay which would be low current to feed the lights a high current. Similar to a fog light setup.

CLARK LAWN
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
you are pulling to much power through the headlight switch put a relay in and that should solve it

tcls83
01-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try it out.