PDA

View Full Version : McDonnalds mulch

plow kid
04-08-2001, 10:53 PM
McDonnalds Red,
Everybody wants it, and in my opinion it looks like schitt.
the dye gets on everything, your hands, truck/trailer, tools, the lawn and driveway, and it floats around when it rains heavy. But it seems like the hottest thing around here, the local supply yard is moving 100+ yards a week right now :eek: , is it taking off by anyone else?

skyphoto
04-09-2001, 12:50 AM
Oh yes its the in thing.....next year it will be blue! They started to use it in some of he uppercrust homes around here now all the jones's want to be like the other jones's!
I dont push it but people will ask then I have to use it.
It is a considerable amount more /yd but that dont stop anyone around here!?@#?@#?

If ya couldn't tell I dislike it too!!!!
Peace!

greens1
04-09-2001, 01:25 PM
I agree with you plow kid. A bed needs red mulch like a lawn needs a pink flamingo.
Jim L

steveair
04-09-2001, 03:06 PM
Yes,

It is absolutely horrible. My favorite is when they build a brand new, red brick commericial building, and then put that red junk in all of the beds around it. It is just very unnatural.

For some reason, I can see in a couple of years a study coming out that says the dyes used to make the stuff contain cancer causing fibers and kids playing in it have brain tumors . That would be about how things go in this world.

steveair

racerdave
04-09-2001, 03:25 PM
The best way to rid this ugly stuff is to claim that it causes global warming. Or, maybe we can say it was developed by Republican operatives. It seems most claims aren't based on real science anymore, so I think we could get away with this. :)

mdb landscaping
04-09-2001, 06:08 PM
it was a big hit around here a few years ago, but people are finally realizing spruce color is better. most people are switching back to the normal stuff. hopefully this wave of mulch color is heading your way and the red will die out.

E-man
04-09-2001, 09:53 PM
We have it all here red, black, cocoa, blue ,and purple after seeing the blue and purple red doesnt seem that bad anymore.

Grateful11
04-09-2001, 09:59 PM
It's just like those tackier than crap icicle lights people put on their houses and never take down. Everybody thinks they have to have them.

plow kid
04-09-2001, 10:38 PM
Blue? :eek: ...... Purple? :eek: ......... You will never see that crap in any of the trucks that I have.

Another thing that is taking off is Cedar mulch it is suposed to last 5+yrs and is 52 bucks a yard

thelawnguy
04-09-2001, 10:39 PM
Here the big thing at D&D, Mickey D's etc is chipped pallets dyed red, suppose its so the cigarette butts will filter thru and be hidden lol.

E-man
04-09-2001, 10:48 PM
We have never used the blue or purple, never had a customer ask for it. Would talk them out of it anyways. Have seen it used on commercial and residential properties though. Nastiest looking stuff I have ever seen.

syzer
04-09-2001, 11:59 PM
Yeah we have the blue stuff here too =( they say ppl use it for around there pool and stuff. We just ahd to install 4 yards fo the red stuff in a residential ugh nasty stained my paints, hands, etc. Not good stuff to work with doesnt pack well, totally against it =(.

Chip
04-11-2001, 07:06 PM
If you are going to use that stuff I was advised by a local nurseryman to fertilize the beds first because it will rob the beds of nitrogen. I have used the black dyed stuff and it turns everything black.

diginahole
04-11-2001, 07:10 PM
I find regular cedar mulch sucks up the nitrogen, annuals need to be fertilized every 2 weeks.

Grateful11
04-11-2001, 09:29 PM
While we're talking mulch I have a ?. I use Cyprus mulch in my own yard. Does it have an effect on the nitrogen level. Most of my customers request Pine straw which I don't really care for but they seem to get more coverage for their money.

Ocutter
04-13-2001, 05:18 AM
I use a 3x ground dark mulch. I tried to tell the customer that the red wont look natural. He insisted and I put down 16 yds of the stuff as opposed to 8 of the 3x ground last yr. Forgot about the fluff factor. Also that night it rained and now hes got pink mulch. Its strange I've noticed that ALL the people who want red mulch are the ones who moved from Phila.

Chip
04-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Maybe they are looking for that Jersey Shore beach house look. I saw a residential home here that was just done in red and it looks so out of place.

Runner
04-14-2001, 11:51 PM
The red kind of reminds me of the pistachios you buy in the supermarket checkout lines. It kind of goes in the same category as the "luxurious" white stone. We can use that with our railroad ties for beds. But please, don't even mention our cut open tires for flower planters. Of course for the real fancy version, we can paint them something like "buttercup yellow" or something. We are, however, at our landscape supply yard this week, having a clearance sale on durable used toilets for flower planters. These lovely fixtures are essential for sprucing up any residential front yard landscape. Upon special request, we can sometimes even get you the matching fishpond bathtub. So please, mention us to all your customers, and we can supply you too with all the fixin's for a complete landscape. Oh, did I mention the wooden cutouts of the little urinating in the front yard? Those are located right over next to th pink flamingos and the pie pan wind chimes.

Lanelle
04-15-2001, 02:52 AM
LOL. Do you also have the painted cow that does such a nice job of watering with her tail?

captdevo
04-15-2001, 07:50 AM
There is a farmer outside of town here that has a bed frame with head boards in the front of his house filled with flowers and that red crap surrounding it. "Flower bed"

Real cheezy...

Henry
04-15-2001, 06:36 PM
The red mulch thing started here 3-4 years ago but seems to have died down some. I can usually talk people out of it by recommending hemlock which has a natural reddish color. I can't even imagine blue or purple.

Drove by a nice $500k white brick house the other day. Red mulch in the beds and about 8" of dye on the house. Ooh that's eye-catching!