PDA

View Full Version : Chain Trencher on Skid - Anybody

Squizzy246B
01-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Anybody here run a trencher on a skid. I've never run one..what are they like to operate??..maintenance costs?? anybody??.

kiwiwill
01-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Gidday Squizzy, I roun one on my little bobcat 553 over in the mainland.
They are really good in the right soil conditions, sometimes they are a lot faster and neater than an excavator, and sometimes you wish you had never taken the job.

We use it for digging irrigation and power trenches, great for long runs as it can be really quick.
You do not have the same view of the trench as when digging with an excavator, so you normally find pipes etc after you have hit them.

The other downside is that when you are trenching from building to building and have no runout for the machine, then you can only trench to within the skids length of the target. You then have to turn and straddle the trench which causes a bit of a cave in and some hand digging.

In the right soild conditions and on long runs they are very fast, in some parts of nz its all they use for power trenches.

They are not very good at trenching accross a slope as the skid steer wants to slip down the hill continously.

cheers Will

Dirty Water
01-22-2006, 02:12 PM
We have a dedicated trencher (DW 3500) and it has the same faults as a trencher on a skid.Mostly having to do so much hand digging in small areas, and caving in your trench while trying to manuever.

Unless I'm in a wide open area in sand or clay, I'd prefer a excavator with a 12" bucket. Chain trenchers are fast though.

lx665
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I have a Bradco chain trencher that fits on my skid steer. It can trench up to 36" deep. Bradco makes a larger size that goes to 48" deep. The trencher does a good job for small to medium size trenching jobs. I use it for water and elec. lines. If I trenching everyday, I would buy a dedicated trenching machine.

John

allinearth
01-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Ditto lx665. Every day trenching, buy dedicated. We have Lowe attachment we have used for years. Only normal wear problems. What I like most is the ability to change the angle of the boom for different conditions. In rocky areas you can lift rocks up instead of beating down on them.