PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please on Dump Bed or Kit for Pickup

PerfiCut L&L
01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I'd like to outfit one of my pickups so that I can haul and dump materials. Not sure which way to go with it. Either a dump bed insert for around 3k new 2k used, or the pickup bed conversion dump kit, around $850 new.

I look at as if both serve the same purpose, the latter might be better since your not already adding several hundred pounds to the install. Both on gas mileage and hauling capacity.

For those that have used either of these, whats been your experience, and what pros / cons have you run across with either of these setups?

MysticLandscape
01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I have an ez dump in my F250, it does add some weight to the truck. My gas mileage fell about 0.5 a gallon but the insert does weigh about 700 lbs i belive. As far as performence goes, i have lifted a whole load of broken up concrete, dirt, mulch, leaves all without a problem. I would go with a dump insert because you can transfer it to another truck if you needed to where as if you installed a kit on the truck its only good for that truck. You can probably find a good deal on and insert, mine was a year old when i got it and i payed $1200 with a trap sides and cab protector, look at ebay there are few on there now

http://search.ebay.com/ez-dumper_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQssPageNameZWLRS

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-22-2006, 01:36 PM
If you are going to convert your bed this would be the way to go.....

www.stealthdumptrucks.com

paolaken
01-22-2006, 02:23 PM
the ez dumper is the way to go. the truck bed itself isn't all that strong when unattached from the truck frame.

hosejockey2002
01-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a Maxi-dump insert in my truck, and while it adds nearly 1000 lbs. to the weight of the truck, it offers the following advantages over a dump kit for the stock bed.

It has a double acting tailgate, meaning the tailgate hinges from either to the top, or bottom, whatever you choose.

It has no effect at all on towing, or putting fuel in the truck.

The insert takes the beating from loading the truck, not the pickup bed.

It's easily transferred from one pickup to another.

PerfiCut L&L
01-23-2006, 06:26 AM
I wanted the insert at first, but I was concerned about the added weight. 770-1000# before you even consider the load your gonna haul.

The idea of easily moving it from one veh to another is nice. Cant you do that with the stealth conversion kit as well? Might be a little more work, removing the bed, remounting the bed...install on 2nd veh.

As for the strength of the bed, I was wondering about that since its no longer attched to the frame except at the rear hinges and the hoist arm.

I suppose if I can find a used insert for a decent price Ill go with that. How much mulch can you get into it? I think they say 2yard, but i see guys that have added sides to them, and hell I can get almot 3 yards in the bed of my truck alone.

paolaken
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
i wouldn't mind a used insert as well but have never seen one in my area.