PDA

View Full Version : standard or automatic

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
01-22-2006, 10:28 AM
im looking at getting a new dodge truck preferably diesal. i dont know wether it should be automatic or standard. i like standard cars and trucks the most but since i am going to be plowing and towing my trailer with it which should i get standard or automatic

Jpocket
01-22-2006, 10:35 AM
If your going to be the only person driving it, go with whatever you like, but if your gonna put an employee in it get the Automatic, because some people "think" they can drive a standard trans, but can't.

I have two standard trucks, and I find it really doesn't matter to me.

kirk brown
01-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I think if your going to plow you should go with the auto.
I don`t think i`d want to clutching while i`m controlling a plow.

Jason Rose
01-22-2006, 12:11 PM
If you were pulling a larger trailer, and I mean a lot larger, then a standard is better. Also if you are doing a lot of long distance driving and towing go with the standard. However if you are in constant stop and go traffic in town and you aren't pulling huge loads and trying to go from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds then an automatic is the way to go. The aggrivation of clutching and shifting constantly driving in town having to stop every 2 or 3 blocks sells me on automatics everytime. They are also easier to hook up to a trailer since you can just throw it in park and get out and hook up, no messing with parking break ect.
Now when it comes to shelling one out you will wish you had an old clutch to replace $$$$$$. But I would think that plowing with a standard would burn out a clutch pretty quick going from forward to reverse constantly like that.

CLARK LAWN
01-22-2006, 12:22 PM
standred is the only way to go. they last alot longer and if you know how to drive it the clutch will last to. i plowed with a stick shift for 3 years and never had to put a clutch in it. i was the only one who drove it though. alot easier with heavey loads and get better milage also. big trucks are all standered shift so there has to be some logic behind them

CLARK LAWN
01-22-2006, 12:23 PM
standard is the only way to go. they last alot longer and if you know how to drive it the clutch will last to. i plowed with a stick shift for 3 years and never had to put a clutch in it. i was the only one who drove it though. alot easier with heavy loads and get better mileage also. big trucks are all standard shift so there has to be some logic behind them

Dirt_Werx
01-22-2006, 12:25 PM
unless its a new generation dodge diesel like 02' and up u need to get the standard tranny, the auto is peice of junk up untill then and will fall right out of the truck in under 70k miles, even the standard trannys have there weakness and the clutches usually need to be upgraded, but itll last quite a bit longer that way

Dixie Rob
01-22-2006, 01:14 PM
We pull trailers all day, and all our automatics are still pumpin. Our dodge 3/4 ton has 160k miles with no problems other than a tranny line, my personal truck is a 96 f250 with 200k miles with the same problem, another 95 f250 has 210k miles with zero problems, and we have a 2002 f250 with 200k miles with no tranny problems.

This was the first auto I had ever personally owned, b/c I'm a standard man, but it sure is convienant.

rfed32
01-22-2006, 04:15 PM
dude i will tell you one thing...plowin with a standard isnt fun...ur whole body is hurtin the next day...its not bad if its for a few hours but get in a standard in a big storm 10-12 hours it sucks

4x4Jim
01-22-2006, 05:26 PM
If your gonna be plowing, I would definitely go with the automatic. I have plowed with a standard before, and it gets to be a pain.