PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150

georgiaboy
01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Does anyone use Ford F-150's to pull a trailer. I am considering buying a new one with a 4.6L and 4x4. Just wondering if has experience with one?

riches139
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Mine works fine for me, but I have the 5.4 with a 373 rear.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
One of my trucks is a 98' Ford F-150. Has a 4.2 V6 and a manual trans. It wont win any races, but it will pull smaller trailers just fine. Wouldnt pull heavy trailers with it though.

ShieldsLandscaping
01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
MJLs, what size trailer you pull with that? I have a 2005 f-150 with the 4.2 auto trans though, and i only pulled an empty 6.5x10 (with raised metal sides) the trailer weighs no more than 1k empty. I just got the trailer so I have only towed it home and to my area I keep my stuff. I just wanted to see what you have been pulling. I figure I will have 2 w/bs a push mower and handhelds on the racks so only add like another 1k to the payload for average maintenence.

Jpocket
01-23-2006, 06:23 PM
That truck will pull any small trailer you want just fine, you could pull a big trailer with it as long as you don't have anything too heavy in it. Most 1/2 trucks are OR USED TO BE real workhorses. But why are yhou getting an F-150? they are very ugly, they look like someone put them together with legos.
and OMG the 4X2's look even worse. :)

AtoZ
01-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I own a 2004 F-150 5.4 liter 4x4... The rated towing capacity is 9,000 lbs. The F-150 is seriously overrated in towing capacity. You can tow 8,000 to 9,000 lbs - but it will not do it well. The motor is good but the tranny is weak with the heavier weights. However, pulling a 10' - 12' - 14' single axle is no problem... I have pulled my twenty foot equipment trailer and 6,500 lb skid loader a few times with the F-150 - I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis. A half ton will get you close to double the Mpg that a 3/4 ton will - from my personal experience. Or you can wait till the end of '06 or early 2007 to buy a half ton with a diesel in it. Gm, Ford and Toyota are very closing to releasing diesels in their 1/2 tons...

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-23-2006, 10:39 PM
MJLs, what size trailer you pull with that? I have a 2005 f-150 with the 4.2 auto trans though, and i only pulled an empty 6.5x10 (with raised metal sides) the trailer weighs no more than 1k empty. I just got the trailer so I have only towed it home and to my area I keep my stuff. I just wanted to see what you have been pulling. I figure I will have 2 w/bs a push mower and handhelds on the racks so only add like another 1k to the payload for average maintenence.

I have pulled trailers of various sizes. The overall weight you are pulling is more of the issue. Depending on which rear end gear you have will also determine how much weight you are supposed to pull. Check the manual as to what your limits are. I personally have pulled trailers up to 4,000 lbs and have had no problems. I prefer at least a 3/4 ton when pulling trailers, but this 1/2 ton will work fine for smaller trailers. You will have no issues with pulling a 2k trailer. The main reason for my 1/2 tons is for advertising, maintenance work, driving to estimates, and other things where I would like to have a vehicle that will get good gas mileage.

georgiaboy
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
thanks for the replies.

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 12:37 AM
mine is 04 4x4 small v-8 does fine with my 6*12 dual axle with rider i just take off OD and makes a world of diff. Would I get the 5.4 v8 next? Yes.I'm probaly hauling a tad under 3000 pounds.One nice thing is the ride and the leaf springs are set alot nicer than previous f-150s

Lawn Masters
01-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Why yes, I do have one of these its got either a 5.0, or the 300/6 motor, cant recall which, and I'm not sure what the rear ratio is. good truck for pullin though.

its older, but VERY rugged, and solidly built.

mikefromny
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
i just got a ford f-150 97 , 2x4 drive v6 , the back of the truck was re-enforced , i will let u know when im pulling a 4x8 horse trailer with just 36inch mower , some trimmers and backpack blowers in it.(any opinions will i be good ?

mason dude
01-30-2006, 05:16 PM
I had an 01 supercrew 4x4 with the 4.6 and I traded it for an 03 Toyota Tundra with a 4.7 that has 35 more hp but a ton more torque. Now when I pull my modest 24 ft travel trailer( 4600 lbs) I can leave the a/c on and I dont have to stay in the trucker lane. An earlier post mentioned the tranny was weak on the ford, I agree, that was my complaint, The Toyota trans is just simply engineered better. Now, my blood runs red white and blue and I am a veteran but ford and chevy better get it together or the Indiana Tundra plant is gonna take over. Before you buy, take a minute and drive a v-8 tundra, It's your money

MTR
01-31-2006, 01:57 AM
I had an 01 supercrew 4x4 with the 4.6 and I traded it for an 03 Toyota Tundra with a 4.7 that has 35 more hp but a ton more torque. Now when I pull my modest 24 ft travel trailer( 4600 lbs) I can leave the a/c on and I dont have to stay in the trucker lane. An earlier post mentioned the tranny was weak on the ford, I agree, that was my complaint, The Toyota trans is just simply engineered better. Now, my blood runs red white and blue and I am a veteran but ford and chevy better get it together or the Indiana Tundra plant is gonna take over. Before you buy, take a minute and drive a v-8 tundra, It's your money

I know where you coming from...it is exactly same feelings as I am Ford truck man but the Tundra really something to think hard about. I don't like one thing about Ford is the dependability and repair side if you want to run it like let say 100-150,000 and more. Main relay, fuel relay, modules...those electrical system will go bad and it is darn difficult to find until you spend some fortune towing to shop every six months, meanwhile japanese electrical system especially the Toy is like bulletproof expecting to run your motor over 200 k easily. This makes me keeping eye on Tundra and hold off on Ford, and likely I will get Tundra! amen.

tcls83
01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I don't really like the new F-150's. They're ugly. I've looked at one when they first came out (not to buy, just curious) at a dealership before, and it seems like they're designed for Mall Rats, not contractors anymore. They seem to have 6" ground clearance, the bed doesn't seem designed for work as much. The interior is nice though, but dont know if it can hold up. I hate the direction half tons are going these days, I hope these trucks dont become a limp wristed Honda Truck in the next 20 years.

To me, a 96 or older F-150 seems like a decent work truck. Or even check out a 99 or up F-250 with an XL package (base) to save money.