PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall stupidity

cedarcroft
01-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I got a call from a friend in NJ who is having alot of work done at his house. The guy who did his pool said that he would do the retaining wall as well and make it a package price. Long story short, the wall is 7' high and about 65' long with two 90 degree turns and a set of steps. the engineer came to sign off on it and lo and behold........NO GEO GRID!!!!!! not one piece. The contractor had to rip it down and is redoing it now. apparently he thought that because it was up against virgin ground all he had to do was set the block and have gravel for drainage.

neversatisfiedj
01-23-2006, 08:29 PM
You can use versa-lok BRUTE blocks up to 8 ft tall - No GEOGRID
depends on the block. It still makes me scared with no grid though.

klkanders
01-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Sounds Scary to me! Hopefully they put or will put drain tile behind it too.

paponte
01-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Didn't he get plans from an architect before he started? Anything over 4' needs architectural plans. :confused:

UNISCAPER
01-24-2006, 09:52 AM
When wall manufacturers use the phrase "up to" a given height, it means just that. I also means you don't design it without knowing soils load situations, and final application. It does not by any means allow you to build any given wall with no grid. Ready-Roc makes stones 2'x2'x4' and weigh 2000 lbs. You se them with a crane, and, in most applications you can set them at 12' with no grid. It does not mean you build any wall with getting it engineered.

Any time you get a set of plans call the designer and qualify them by asking how they got their calcs. So they might get an attitude, so what. It's y6or rear end that goes into the kettle when their wall fails and you have every right to cross check them. We use Key-Grid just to get us preliminary numbers. If they are cloase or near what the engineers calcs are, we feel a little more at ease about using their design and move forward. If the numbers are way out in left field, we call them on it. I've made engineers rewrite plan sheets at no expense to the owner and I get my local Keystone registered engineering rep to back me up if I see something wrong. The rear end you save is only your own.

cedarcroft
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know wheter he needed an architect or not, but he certainly didn't have any plan for this wall, he just slapped it together with some crappy looking thin walled block. it is getting done correctly now, but he (the contractor) is losing his a$$ for being stupid.

ChrisCoope
01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
You can also use Timbergrid, which doesnt require any geo grid, is much lighter to move around and can be planted to almost disappear from view..
surely though any wall over 3ft 6 inches requires an PE to sign off on?

cedarcroft
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
relax with the timbergrid posts. if you want to sell the product, just become a sponsor. don't post like you are just another guy on here talking shop. your product may be great, but you lose credibility by hawking it like that. thats my $.02

bigviclbi
01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Cedar did you ever post pics of that "extreme job" you did?

cedarcroft
01-26-2006, 07:24 PM
NO I haven't posted pics yet because my crackhead friend with the digital camera has been avoiding me. I am still harrassing him weekly to take some pics for me. he has half a day tomorrow, so I am going to ask again to take pics of the wall and my mower and truck that I am selling. ......anyday now!!!