PDA

View Full Version : Follow up calls...

drsogr
01-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Follow up calls have been a weakness for me, since I have been in business. Part of me wants to have a policy where I do not make follow up calls. Anyway I made 2 follow up calls today on estimates for landscaping. I know its early, but they called me. Anyway during the follow up calls they sounded pissed that I would call them. Like it was a big hassle. Its really annoying to spend all of this time doing an estimate and the customer gets pissed that I am doing a follow up call.

Any suggestions?

K.Carothers
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
You have to try and land the deal as soon as you go over the estimate with them. Don't wait and don't ask for the job. After you go through the estimate, you generally have a feeling where they stand based on their questions and simply say"would you like this done this week or next week".

kc

drsogr
01-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah I need to work on closing the deal. I need to find a good book on selling. Haven't found anything yet that peaked my interest.

Brianslawn
01-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah I need to work on closing the deal. I need to find a good book on selling. Haven't found anything yet that peaked my interest.

start charging a consultation fee. tell them when they first call that you charge to go out and look job over and put together a proposal. then say its credited towards the job when you do the install.

then again, if you like working for free, you can help bobby sell hot dogs.

paponte
01-24-2006, 01:07 AM
If you can't close the deal , someone else will have no problem doing it for you. Time = money, or no money whichever way you look at it. The more time people have to get other options, your chances tend to dwindle. Quick formula for you that we employ:

AAK=A

Approach, Appearance, Knowledge = Approval.

Get that down to a science and there will be little need for follow up calls. :cool2:

drsogr
01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
start charging a consultation fee. tell them when they first call that you charge to go out and look job over and put together a proposal. then say its credited towards the job when you do the install.

then again, if you like working for free, you can help bobby sell hot dogs.

A consultation fee? I have been in business for one full year. I would actually have to have people demanding my services before I could charge a consultation fee.

GreenMonster
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
AAK=A

I like that. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

drsogr
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
If you can't close the deal , someone else will have no problem doing it for you. Time = money, or no money whichever way you look at it. The more time people have to get other options, your chances tend to dwindle. Quick formula for you that we employ:

AAK=A

Get that down to a science and there will be little need for follow up calls. :cool2:

I have no problem with any of those. I have problem being a sales man! I know how to speak with a customer, I am knowledgable, and I know how to present the material as well as myself. I just don't know how to "close the deal." I hate sales man, I am sure this problem will solve itself over time, but I don't have time. I need to learn how to close the deal. I get probably 40% of jobs that I quote, but I beleive I could get more if I could learn how to close the deal.

Lux Lawn
01-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I do follow up calls after an estimate also.Sometimes you catch people at the wrong time or they might just be price shopping to start with.Remember you can't get every job that you give an estimate to.If you are getting 40% of them now then thats pretty good.