PDA

View Full Version : Payroll

Wells
01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
As most of you already know this up-coming season I will be taking on several employees for the first time. I'm curious how most of you that have employees process your payroll.

I'm currently using Quickbooks Pro as my accounting software and they have a add-on payroll service available for a recurring monthly fee. I have also thought about hiring a local payroll service to process the payroll for us or possibly even doing it myself.

Does anybody have any horror stories associated with one of these methods and what has been your best experience with finding a payroll method? In other words what are you currently using process payroll and has it worked out well for you? I'm interested in both the good the bad and the ugly.

MMLawn
01-24-2006, 10:56 AM
We do it in house ourselves using Quickbooks and have been for years. It is very easy to set-up and do, it is fast, and we have never had an issue with either employees, or the IRS in using QB's and doing it ourselves. Just remember (and QB's prompts you to anyway) to upgrade the IRS Tax updates each year.

EDIT: I also just checked with bookeeping and we actually started doing payroll using QB in 1998 and agian never any problems at all.

Wells
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks MMlawn, thats good to know.

rodfather
01-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I answered for ya Brett in my pm.

Wells
01-24-2006, 02:47 PM
I answered for ya Brett in my pm.
Thanks Rod..

bigviclbi
01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Do you need to add on the monthly fee or is that something that is just easier to do? I am going to but qb pro and how much is the monthly fee? Is it every month or just when you use it since most of us don't work for 3 months?

JB1
01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
if you have everything set up right in quickbooks you won't have any problems and works great, just make sure to get everything set up right and it'll make your life easier.

stevesmowing
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I have quickbooks, how did you set it up in quickbooks?

mtdman
01-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I use the mid level priced service in qb and it works great for me. You do get charged a flat fee each month whether you use it or not, though.

stevesmowing
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I talked to paychex and they said they could do it for about $20 a week. It seems like a reasonable price.

lawnman_scott
01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
I talked to paychex and they said they could do it for about $20 a week. It seems like a reasonable price.How many employees is that for? Because for 2 employees I generally spend about 5 min a week on payroll. Actually it is usually less than that.

Wells
01-26-2006, 12:28 AM
How many employees is that for? Because for 2 employees I generally spend about 5 min a week on payroll. Actually it is usually less than that.
What system are you using to process your payroll?

Az Gardener
01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
We use paychex for 4-years now no problems, cheap, we have between 5-10 employees throughout the year. We already recieved our quarterlies and W-2s on the 6th of Jan. I just fax in master time sheet and I can P/u checks in 24 hours sometimes less. They do insurance deductions pre tax, Ira's, direct deposit you name it.

Foz
01-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I have 22 employees, and use the Quickbooks enhanced payroll. We are very happy with the program, just be sure to get the payroll updates when the program prompts you.