PDA

View Full Version : Truck to start

Adam@SUNYCobleskill
01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
ok so im new to this site, i have two semesters left at school then i am starting a company...mainly focused on hardscapes. Ive been looked around this site before this post and couldnt find too much info. so i figured id ask. I have 7,000 that i plan on spending on a truck, but i dont really know what i should get, i think i am going to try to stay away from getting a dump for now... any suggestions on what i should get would be greatly appreciated.
-Adam

cgland
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
If your main focus is on hardscapes a dump is almost a must. There are a couple of things you must ask yourself.
1) How do you plan on getting rid of your excavated materials (spoils)?
2) How do you plan on getting materials to the jobsite? Supplier delivery is an option, but what if you need a couple extra yards of stone or worse, a couple too much?
It's much easier to work from the back of a dump truck than it is a pile. I am assuming you will not have a skid loader or tractor right off the bat.
If you do some investigating, I think you can find a fairly decent dump for around $7K

Chris

Adam@SUNYCobleskill
01-24-2006, 01:42 PM
what i am trying to do is get something that will be reliable, the last thing i want to do is have to worry about putting money into a truck that could have gone towards more useful things in the business. What my initial plan was to have supplies delivered to job sites and have a F250 for tools, smaller amounts of material and waste removal. Would this work or do you still think a dump would be more efficiant.
PS. What did you start out with chris?
-Adam

neversatisfiedj
01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
My friend owns a car lot in MD - PM me for info.

bigviclbi
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Get a f-250 and a dump trailer.

klkanders
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Adam
I agree with big. If u already have a decent truck thats a good start. Your money would be better spent on a new dump trailer. That way u know what u have. Like others have said get major materials delivered but when u have extra or just need to pick up a little rock,sand,dirt or mulch u will already be ahead. Companies charge to deliver materials. Also u will find if u have extra material to get rid of by hand its much easier to wheelbarrow it into a trailer then up into a truck. Down the road when u have made big bucks either sell the dump trailer, or keep it, and upgrade to a 1 or 2 ton truck with hoisted bed with drop down sides.(nice for putting pallets of material in with forks)
To buy a used truck with hoist now might be a headache. Just think if engine or drive train needed work? It could shut u down with unexpected repairs.
This is just my opinion but i believe the right one for u. Any other questions just let me know. Glad to help!

klkanders
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Adam
Also if u got a new dump trailer u could get one big enough to haul a skid loader in temporarily. Dont know if u have one yet or not but if u had to rent or borrow one for a job it would be easier for u.

cgland
01-24-2006, 10:18 PM
We started out with an F350 dump circa 1985. We paid 5K for it and it ran solid for 2 years untill we started to have problems. By then we had enough money to buy (finance) a new dump. The trailer is a nice idea, but to get a decent one you will spend at least 3K plus the truck. Can you find a reliable truck for 4K? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't waste my time with it. That's just me though.

Chris

mattfromNY
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Pronovost is making some really nice small dump trailers, just started with them, tandem or single axle, manual dump or elect over hydraulic, road legal. small enough to pull behind a 1/2 ton truck, but big enough for most small jobs. Run about $3-4,000 depending on what options you get. I think they are on their website.

klkanders
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Adam
Do u have a truck already? When you need to run errands it sure would be easier to unhook the dump trailer and go..........................

neversatisfiedj
01-25-2006, 07:36 AM
I bought a new 7 ton dump for 5500.00

Chriscob
01-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Adam, Take the advice on dump trailers, they're extremely valuable for both hauling materials and spoilage and equipment etc. And buy the largest you can possibly afford. I have a 16 foot 6 ton capacity BriMar and I use every foot of it. And as far as trucks go, I've owned both F350's (8 ft. mason dump bodies) and Isuzus (17,500 GVW range, 12 foot dumps with drop sides). There's really no comparision if you want to run an efficent operation buy the Isuzus. Even if the trucks have comparable overall GVW's, the Isuzu cab overs are rated to carry much more (lower unlaiden weight). They also are much more manueverable and dependable. But if you can't afford the new (or used) truck now, definately get the dump trailer.
P.S.- I'm in the Capital District as well.

Adam@SUNYCobleskill
01-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Wow, i wasnt expecting this much feedback so soon, thanks guys.
Klkanders- I dont have a truck, sorry if i was misunderstood. The 7,000 is money i have to finance the company (i already have most of the tools needed to start) Like you said, the truck being in the shop could be a huge pain in the ass on the company, so i want reliability for starting out.
Do you guys think buying a truck (say an f250) then taking out a small loan to buy a dump trailor would be a good idea? Or should i try to keep my fixed costs to a minimum until i get steady cash flow comming in.
Id be interested to hear what some of you other guys started out with, and if it worked for you, or what you would have done differently.
Thanks, Adam

klkanders
01-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Adam
Just reading your reply.

klkanders
01-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Adam
Start researching dump trailers now. Search the web and get all the information not just price but sizes,what they will haul and so on. It really does pay to shop around! And like others have said buy the biggest u can afford but also can tow with truck u purchase. I know a guy that started out this same way. He bought a new dump trailer and a used Dodge 4x4 like 3-4 years ago. He has since updated to a newer dump trailer, new Dodge extra cab cummins 4x4, bobcat and a nice used F-350 with dump. So see this could work for u also.
Get a decent used 4x4 truck also. Have engine and drivtrain checked out before buying to keep any surprises at a minimum. Hope this helps.
Good Luck!