PDA

View Full Version : Wells Cargo Enclosed Trailer Help

Lawns of KY
01-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I am looking to purchase a 2006 Wells Cargo 8'x18' Landscape trailer. The purchase price is $8000. This includes the hand tool package (i.e. blower racks, trimmer rack, cooler rack, gas rack, etc.). Is this a fair price? Are there other enclosed trailers for landscaping that are a little cheaper, but equal in quality? Thanks for your help.

Turf Technologies
01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Look in my post above, Wells Cargo its only a 6x12 but its over 12 yrs old, I'm getting a new trailer in a year I hope, but wont be going with a Wells Cargo only because of the color I want they don't offer. But for 12 hard yrs its the best trailer made.

PLS-Tx
01-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I am looking to purchase a 2006 Wells Cargo 8'x18' Landscape trailer. The purchase price is $8000. This includes the hand tool package (i.e. blower racks, trimmer rack, cooler rack, gas rack, etc.). Is this a fair price? Are there other enclosed trailers for landscaping that are a little cheaper, but equal in quality? Thanks for your help.

I'm also looking at a Wells Cargo 8.5x20, for $9500, before tax. I'm not planning to get any of the racks you mentioned, I'm planning to order them from trimmer trap, I've heard good things about Trimmer Trap.

I am planning to get some other options added to the trailer, like fuel doors ect., I'm also planning on getting the Landscape package.

As far as other trailers that are cheaper, but equal quality, I have not found any around here.

Let me know if you are getting any options other than the LS package, if you are, your getting a much better deal than I am.

Thanks

MacLawnCo
01-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I dont understand how you would even consider spending so much money on a trailer. I just got a 2006 Atlas 20x7 enclosed trailer (loaded with options) for around $5k. Even If the quality isnt there (which i believe it is), you can cycle through them every few years and still come out ahead.

PLS-Tx
01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
I dont understand how you would even consider spending so much money on a trailer. I just got a 2006 Atlas 20x7 enclosed trailer (loaded with options) for around $5k. Even If the quality isnt there (which i believe it is), you can cycle through them every few years and still come out ahead.

You make a good point, but I have checked with Atlas and a 8.5x20 with the options I want will be more than 5k, also I would have to drive to Indiana to pick it up, there are no Atlas dealers in Tx.

Another thing to consider is, if you spend 5k, and your trailer lasts lets say 10 years, and I spend 10k and my trailer lasts 20 years, seem like I would come out ahead.

I'm not trying to start an argument, in fact I will not argue with anyone about this.

I'm also not saying Atlas is not a good trailer, I have looked at the way they are built and they seem to be very well built. My concern is, it looks like Pace and Haulmark are built well. I've heard of several guys that were not happy with Pace, one guy only had his a year and it was leaking, along with other problems. I have also heard of others that were happy with their Pace. As far as Haulmark I've heard some say they like their's, but I went to the Haulmark dealer in my town, and seen one trailer that had been leaking in 2 or 3 spots, and the inside walls were coming apart, then another trailer, same lot, the side door was very hard to open, these were brand new trailers.

As far as Wells Cargo, I have searched on here, and have not seen one person that wasn't happy with their's.

Sorry so long.

MMLawn
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Don't expect any enclosed trailer to last 20 years, at least not without working on it.

You also might want to look at Featherlite trailers as they are very well made, have a LS package and are good enough for NASCAR so they must be pretty good.

MacLawnCo
01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
alright, since we are sharing points of view, how about this...

I purchased mine new for $5k plus tax. I keep it for 4 years, have no maintenance to speak of and at the end of those for years sell it for $3000. That makes my cost of ownership around $500 per year... I dont think anyone can do better than that.

PLS-Tx
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM

I purchased mine new for $5k plus tax. I keep it for 4 years, have no maintenance to speak of and at the end of those for years sell it for $3000. That makes my cost of ownership around $500 per year... I dont think anyone can do better than that.

Good point, I talked to Atlas this morning, I still may go with them.

I'll let you know later about the quote they gave me, at first glace I'm very impressed.

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
01-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Hello, form Grand Lake Oklahoma! I have a 20' by 8' U.S.Cargo trailer. It is a v-nose and has loads of that shiny aluminum diamond plate all over it! There are 5 overhead center 12 volt lights powered by the truck. Checker board linoleum flooring all the way to the end of the dovetail. A spring coil assist back gate(kinda like a garage door has). There are 5, 4' flourescent double bulb fixtures in the interior that run off of the built in 30 amp R.V. breaker.There are 6 outlets strategicaly placed about the interior.There is a double door access on the passenger side of the trailer with two counter sunk outside quartz halogen lights on either side for outside lighting. I installed a complete rack system inside from Jungle Jim's that really works well. This is a 2004 trailer and I have 6,000.00 in it! As for justifying the money, My rig has a real professional look and protects my real investment which is the equipment. Also this thing is a mobile billboard! 24/7 free advertising! The quality is there! I have not seen it's equal! fit and finnish it's flawless! I recomend this brand to anyone. My 01' GMC flatbed dually with the 6-speed vortec 502 has no problem towing it around. I appreciate your time.

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
01-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Hello, form Grand Lake Oklahoma! I have a 20' by 8' U.S.Cargo trailer. It is a v-nose and has loads of that shiny aluminum diamond plate all over it! There are 5 overhead center 12 volt lights powered by the truck. Checker board linoleum flooring all the way to the end of the dovetail. A spring coil assist back gate(kinda like a garage door has). There are 5, 4' flourescent double bulb fixtures encased in diamond plate in the interior that run off of the built in 30 amp R.V. breaker.There are 6 outlets strategicaly placed about the interior.There is a double door access on the passenger side of the trailer with two counter sunk outside quartz halogen lights on either side for outside lighting. I installed a complete rack system inside from Jungle Jim's that really works well. This is a 2004 trailer and I have 6,000.00 in it! As for justifying the money, My rig has a real professional look and protects my real investment which is the equipment. Also this thing is a mobile billboard! 24/7 free advertising! The quality is there! I have not seen it's equal! fit and finnish it's flawless! I recomend this brand to anyone. My 01' GMC flatbed dually with the 6-speed vortec 502 has no problem towing it around. I appreciate your time.

RRHAMMONS
01-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Seems like a fair price.

PLS-Tx
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Don't expect any enclosed trailer to last 20 years, at least not without working on it.

You also might want to look at Featherlite trailers as they are very well made, have a LS package and are good enough for NASCAR so they must be pretty good.

Thanks for the tip on Featherlite, I don't think anyone sells them around here.

I said I may go with Atlas, but,I don't think I want to drive 1200 miles one way to pick it up. :eek:

I may go look at a Haulmark about 60 miles away. He has one on the lot that has most of what I want, and some of the other things that I want he said he could add to the trailer.

POPO4995
01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Have you checked Pace-American? They make a damn nice trailer and I think you can get their complete Landscape Package in 8x18 for around $6000-$6500. Just another idea for you.

Shadetree Ltd
01-27-2006, 11:06 PM
When comparing Pace, Haulmark and Wells Cargo IMO the Wells Cargo was the best built trailer of the three. The Wells Cargo was also the most expensive. I have bought three and would buy another probably without even comparing now.

I have had two Wells Cargo trailers stolen in the past 5 years and both times they have retained so much of their value that I had to claim income on the insurance settlements. They had depreciated more on my books than they had in the actual marketplace. Actually less than 5% per year. Whatever you buy treat it right and it will retain a lot of value, or make good use of the advertising space and work the snot out of it.

Scott

PLS-Tx
01-27-2006, 11:40 PM
When comparing Pace, Haulmark and Wells Cargo IMO the Wells Cargo was the best built trailer of the three. The Wells Cargo was also the most expensive. I have bought three and would buy another probably without even comparing now

I have had two Wells Cargo trailers stolen in the past 5 years and both times they have retained so much of their value that I had to claim income on the insurance settlements. They had depreciated more on my books than they had in the actual marketplace. Actually less than 5% per year. Whatever you buy treat it right and it will retain a lot of value, or make good use of the advertising space and work the snot out of it.

Scott

What size Wells Cargo do you have, how does it pull?

If I do get a WC I'm not sure if I should get the nose cone.

This trailer shopping is making my head spin. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Shadetree Ltd
01-28-2006, 01:27 AM
I have an 8 x 20 with the 6'6" interior height. It tows great, the only time I notice is when it is full (7000 pounds) it pushes a 2500HD trcuk around a little. My F450 pulls it great all the time. I don't have the nose cone, I do not want any work far enough away that I would even consider needing the nose cone.

Scott

PLS-Tx
01-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I also try to keep my work close together. I do a little hwy driving since we moved to the next town last year, to be closer to our church and our children's school, about 15 miles on the hwy, one way . I also have started working in another town about 10-15 miles in the other direction, it's a much larger town, so I feel there is more potential there.

I'm thinking this is not enough hwy driving to need the nose cone, but I'm not sure. Btw I'll be pulling it with Dodge 1 ton with a Desiel.

It was nice before we moved, about 7000 miles a year was all that I would put on a truck.

PLS-Tx
01-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I have decided I don't need the nose cone, I went to the Haulmark dealer today, and he let me pull a 8.5x24, and I could not even tell it was behind the truck. I'm planning to get a 20' not a 24', but it was easier for him to get to the 24'.

Wow, it sure did tow good. :)

mattfromNY
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Hello from upstate NY... I was just reading the post and wanted to throw something at you ( not literally, verbally)
When you guys are pricing out trailers, look around for a "leftover" '04 or '05. The prices will vary widely... we sell trailers in NY, not landscape, but dump, car haulers, cargo, etc... The price of steel has been steadily climbing, a trailer (especially aluminum) could have gone up more than 20% in the last 2 years. A trailer that cost 5k two years ago could easily run 8k this year. Just my 2 cents.

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
03-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I got a 20' Wells Cargo and its great. I wouldnt get anything else.