PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to level out my backyard

99fireredls1
01-25-2006, 12:56 AM
I am a first time home owner that wants to level out my backyard. What would be the most price friendly way to do this while still having something that will last a long time?:confused: I plan on putting up a privacy fence up once the lot is level. I have easy access to my backyard b/c of a empty lot behind my house. Go to link for pic.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful:waving:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=000000&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/292000-292999/292054_61_full.jpg

klkanders
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Hard to tell from pic. Do u just want to start over with new grass and or do u have high and low spots also? Are u going to be doing any or all of the work yourself? Is any of this going to change drainage ways for u or your neighbors? If u are going to do it all yourself this spring I would spray all your grass and weeds with roundup to kill it then till it all up and level it. Then either broadcast seed, hydroseed or sod it. Having the lot open behind is good if u can get permission to cross it. This way u could get equipment up on to your yard. Was all this what u were thinking on doing?

99fireredls1
01-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I am looking to flatten out the hill on the left side of the picture. Either by a retaining wall and building up the left side or maybe lowering the whole yard on the right a little and putting a smaller retaining wall up. Moving the dirt will be easy I run/has access to a uniloader from work. My problem is coming up with a good plan to level the lot, having never built a retaining wall or tried anything like this before. Grass is not an issue if it has to go I will kill it:gunsfirin

Just trying to get some ideas of a good way of doing this project.
From anyone who has built a retaining wall or done something like this before, does this look like a tough project or not??

klkanders
01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Ok I can kinda see what u are talking about now. How long and how high do u guestimate the wall to be? You could raise the grade on that side with any kind of segmental retaining wall block. Figure top height low enough so grade still slopes that way. You could either step down ends of wall or for a more professional look dive it into grade. Then u could if wanted put some edging and plant material on top of wall and incorporate it around those utility boxes as well. If u have never built a wall like this check with a local block supplier for info and or find someone who has to guide u along. Its not that hard but getting the base course in properly and level is most important. From Picture it looks like wall wont need to be too tall (3' ?). i would also suggest perforated drain tile and good drainage rock behind wall. Again check with supplier they should have detailed drawings. Hope this helps and good luck!

MarcusLndscp
01-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Enjoy digging your base on this one. First step is to call digsafe to mark your utilities.

klkanders
01-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Yes I agree. Wouldnt look good hitting lines right next to the boxes. :)

LandscapePro
01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
firered,

Is this what you had in mind? I just jotted in the wall in Red and am guessing the utilities run like the yellow arrows.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

klkanders
01-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Hey Mike nice work.....I think u killed the dog tho?
I wish the utility guys could mark lines as well as u. ? ?
Yep then the fence would probably be down by Utility Pole.