PDA

View Full Version : Well it's only 2 more feet!

Shawns Lawns
01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
My first trailer was a 12' and 2nd was a 14'. I am looking to skip the 16' and go to the 18' and when i thought i had it all figured out i am wondering if i should just go to the 20'. How long is to long to haul a open trailer? What are the pro's and con's? Is there any benifits to a 20' that you don't have with an 18' besides 2 more feet?:waving: :waving: :waving:

mcwlandscaping
01-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know about you but for me, i was going to be going with a 16 footer, come to find out, the biggest i can fit in the spot where it has to go is a 14 footer. So now im pricing out 14 footers. All im saying is measure your space if you have any doubts at all!!

Shawns Lawns
01-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know about you but for me, i was going to be going with a 16 footer, come to find out, the biggest i can fit in the spot where it has to go is a 14 footer. So now im pricing out 14 footers. All im saying is measure your space if you have any doubts at all!!

If you are interisted i can sell you mine. I have a 14 dbl axel for sale. Send me a PM.

K&L Landscaping
01-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I say get the biggest trailer you can afford. I can tell you from experience a 16' trailer fills up very quickly. I have two 18' trailers now and they fill up quickly also. If you don't have any real tight areas I would go with the 20'.

RRHAMMONS
01-25-2006, 10:44 PM
I use a 16' and it seems sufficient, hauling two 60" mowers and two push mowers and various other equipment.

Eclipse
01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
No matter what size you get you will find it to be too small.

With an open trailer I think you would be ok with the 18' but if the cost is not that much greater the 20' will offer you a little more room to grow. With trailer I have found it is best to buy the biggest you can afford, even if you can't fill it up right now with equipment, it won't be long until you can :)

Shawns Lawns
01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
The price is only $150 more for the extra 2 feet. That's not a problem its that i never hauled a 20' trailer and i guess i don't quite know what i am in for, (pro's and con's) yet. :waving:

mkjsunscapes
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
18' allows you to hold (3) 60" ztr, but a 20' will give you more room for pushmower, gas cans, shovels, whatever, but like others have said what ever you buy, you always seem to run out of room.

MudslinginFX4
01-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I'd go with the 20' personally. I have one of each (20' enclosed, 18' skidsteer trailer, and 2 16' open trailers) and pretty much always use my 20' enclosed for our regular maintenance. I've never had any problems with turning etc.. you will get used to it! The one thing that you may want to consider though is who will be pulling it. If your employess will be pulling it you might want to stay smaller, if your pulling it most of the time you may want to go bigger.

officeguy
01-27-2006, 12:32 AM
On the tight cul-de-sac's a 20 footer may be a problem to turn, I'v had problems with rentals in the past on those with plantings in the middle.

Jpocket
01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
My first trailer was a 12' and 2nd was a 14'. I am looking to skip the 16' and go to the 18' and when i thought i had it all figured out i am wondering if i should just go to the 20'. How long is to long to haul a open trailer? What are the pro's and con's? Is there any benifits to a 20' that you don't have with an 18' besides 2 more feet?:waving: :waving: :waving:

IMHO, an 18ft trailer is the IDEAL lawn trailer, you can get 2Z's and a w/b on it and have alittle room to spare. That's the most room you'll ever need unless your doing alot of wide area mowing with a 5 0r 6 man crew.

I haul cars on mine atleast twice a month on mine in the summer.

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2006, 08:25 AM
On the tight cul-de-sac's a 20 footer may be a problem to turn, I'v had problems with rentals in the past on those with plantings in the middle.

Good point i never thought of that thanks.:waving:

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2006, 08:29 AM

Good point i never thought of that. Thanks:waving:

jtkplc
01-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I driven a 20' trailer around. It will test your driving ability in certain, tigher situations. However, if you've already learned your lesson by getting a trailer that's not quite big enough, I say go with the 20' and make sure your truck turns sharp. The 20' trailer I've driven was pulled by a F-250. I wish my Ram 2500 was hooked up to it, it turns MUCH sharper.

CNYScapes
01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
We have a 20', fits 2-60" lazers and a 36" toro WB and a tool bench up front. the walk behind slides up under the bench. I wouldnt go any smaller, even if you carry less equipment, you want room to grow.

Lux Lawn
01-28-2006, 11:55 AM

That could be a problem,but how many lawns do you have in these situations?Also do you have any on main roads where you have to park in the customers driveway?I have a 16 foot and wish I had an 18.

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM
That could be a problem,but how many lawns do you have in these situations?Also do you have any on main roads where you have to park in the customers driveway?I have a 16 foot and wish I had an 18.

Right now i do not have any in that particular situation. But i do have some on the main roads and there are 4 that it might be a problem at and one that when i would open the rear gate would put me out into the intersection. I could pull up some more but his neighbor would not like it. I hope he gets over it.:waving:

POPO4995
01-28-2006, 03:52 PM
You never have a big enough trailer. I went from 12' to 2 18' footers and I should have bought the 20'. Maybe next year I will get a 20' or bigger....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
My vote is for the 18'. We fit a Grasshopper front mount (long azz machine), a Quik Trac stander and a 36" w/b. There is still room in the spring for the bed edger, and room in the fall for the w/b push blower. 20' seems to be getting pretty big and harder to maneuver in some cases.

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2006, 06:33 PM
My vote is for the 18'. We fit a Grasshopper front mount (long azz machine), a Quik Trac stander and a 36" w/b. There is still room in the spring for the bed edger, and room in the fall for the w/b push blower. 20' seems to be getting pretty big and harder to maneuver in some cases.
Thanks for the insight. May i ask where you got your Grasshopper?:waving:

Charles Odell
01-28-2006, 11:31 PM
push mower ,edger .ect Kitchen sink if you want to LOL
24ft X 102 in wide 12 to 15 yards of mulch AND tractor
with front end loader.:drinkup:

Jason Rose
01-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I have a 20' trailer and I'm solo! It's so nice to have the ability to carry everything I need at once.

Iv'e never really had problems turning in culdesacs. Shouldn't be an issue, as long as the truck pulling the trailer will turn it the trailer will drag along and follow. Now if your tounge is too short you could actually hit the front of your trailer with the back of your truck when turing super tight like that...
Just remember to PLAN AHEAD. You have to start into the culdesac as far to the right edge as possible. The last thing you would want is to get half way turned and run into the curb (or a mailbox!) Backing up when in that position is not cool...

It's usually right hand turns that can get you. With a 20' trailer you have to remember it's there for sure! If you town has a lot of tight roads it can get a bit tricky.

The only problem I have with size is the number of customers I have that have narrow lots. My rig takes up the entire frontage of their lot. I can't block the neghibors drive, so I put my front end as close to it as I can but on a few I block my customers drive with the back of the trailer. This can be even trickier with the high curbs in places around here. Sometimes I have to drive the mower to the next neghibors driveway to get up onto the lawn from the road.