PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Backhoe

Andyinchville
01-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi All,
I am looking at purchasing a full sized backhoe / loader like a Case 580 but was wondering what opinions and recommendations everybody has as to brand and
specific model number. I was hoping to spend about $15000 on a used machine give or take a little....I plan to use it to do general lot clearing , trenching, grading, hole digging etc....
Thanks for any input.
Andrew

gravtyklz
01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
wow someone else in Va...pretty cool

Ive been pricing equipment a lot recently....running by a good condition backhoe for that price will be pretty hard I think.

But someone else may say different?

ksss
01-25-2006, 10:44 PM
You can find a K series for that if you look. Good backhoes. The high houred machines you will want to watch for cracking around the top loader mounts near the cab. Also check the fuel and hydrualic system for leaks. These models had the fuel and hydrualic systems intergrated into the frame. If its been rode hard you may see cracking in these areas. They sold a million of them if you search you can probably find one for what you want to spend. You can search on the net Iron planet.com, My little salesman, Point 2, equipment trader, Rock and Dirt.

Gravel Rat
01-26-2006, 01:10 AM
I would go with Case 580 or 590 it has to be a 4x4 a 2wd backhoe is horrible. As for finding one for 15,000 good luck you won't find one that is in decent shape your budget is going to have to increase or you will be buying a old piece of junk.

You may want to consider a excavator (trackhoe) the only thing you can't do really well with one is spreading and grading material. The excavator will do lot clearing faster and easier it will trench and dig holes better.

LawnScenes
01-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Andy... You'd be hard pressed to find anything full size for 15,000 around our area. At least anything that'll last more than a job or two. Are you going to be using it exclusively or just when you need it? If it's a just when you need it type of thing... Shoot me a pm. I might be able to help since I'm near you.

Scag48
01-26-2006, 01:50 AM
I've seen older Ford hoes being sold for $5-$8K all day long. Now, they do need work and they are high hour machines, but a little elbow grease can fix anything. If you're working on a limited budget, you're going to be limited at what you can get, but I don't see any reason why you can't find what you're looking for with the amount of money you want to spend. I can buy a mid 90's Cat 416 with maybe 4-5K hours for about $25K, imagine what you can get for $15K.

On Edit: Found this machine, a little over your price range, but like I said you shouldn't have any problems finding something fairly decent for $15K. This machine has 8K hours, a little steep, but getting and older machine with less hours is the ticket. http://catused.cat.com/equipment/view-equipment-detail.html.arg=equipmentPK%3DEq1.645A53Q

Edit again: here's what you need http://usediron.point2.com/Xhtml/Equipment/Details/P2/Backhoe/CASE/580K/296560/ViewEquipmentDetail.html 3,000 hours, cab, 2wd but who cares really, perfect for what you need and the price is right!

Dirty Water
01-26-2006, 10:18 PM
I 2nd wanting a 4wd backhoe.

Ford backhoes are actually not bad if you can get past the Deere controls.

I ran a Ford 555c for a few months.

gammon landscaping
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
i am not sure what part of va your in but if is at all hilly around you, you will defenetly want 4wd the scarest thing you will ever do on a 2wd back hoe is go down hill with a front bucket full of dirt and fill you back wheels pick up and there you go a big sled with no brakes

a case is an exelant machine dad has owned the since 1977 and that is the only thing we will own everyother machine is a cat

a k is a good machine but top heavy
a e is a good machine
a l is probably to new for you price

if you have the option a super k/e/l is a good idea the super machines have larger hydraulic componats and more hp

try going to an auction it is where we typically buy if not new

this winter there are several in florida that will have hundreds if not thousands of them

Andyinchville
02-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys....Just to let you know, I got lucky and found a Case 680 in great condition....The owner dug with it for 2 hours while I watched (I have to get use to the 3 sticks and feet contriols). The machine had tight pins, no welds, good tires, crack free glass, ans good sheet metal, and a recently rebuilt engine complete with reciepts all for only...only?....$9000....HIs friend will deliver it for me for an additional $225 tomorrow. I can't wait to try out my new toy!
Thanks again
Andrew

Dirty Water
02-05-2006, 12:47 PM
How many hours? Looks like you got a good deal.

I absolutely hate case controls, that footswing is hard to get used to.

POPO4995
02-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Just thought I would throw this out...I don't know what they go for used but stay away from the John Deere 110TLB...I love Deere but my 2310 has more guts than that machine...theyre not really a full size backhoe but....:) :)

Dirty Water
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I ran a JD 110 once...Its pretty much too big to be Compact Tractor/Loader but too small to be real backhoe...kinda a ugly duckling.

Andyinchville
02-05-2006, 01:29 PM
3200 hours before the new engine.... new engine approx 300 hours ago (guy I got it from bought a new track excavator and 977 loader to clear land (his own land.....guy definately has alot of nice toys!....Foot controls seem ok to me but in my opinion not as precise as hand control on 2 stick system....maybe just me but owner says practice practice practice.....Oh well I'll give it a shot...so much top get used to on these controls and so little time to clear before lawn season
starts again!
Andrew

tylermckee
02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I like the case controls better, you can run the boom and stick with one hand while you use your other to steer yourself where you want to go when digging. Foot swing will take a few hours to adjust to but it is plenty precise. plus you can grab a drink when you arent using your bucket control hand :drinkup: