PDA

View Full Version : Teenager's First Truck . .. Work/Personal

no1knosme12203
01-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi,

This is my first post even though I have been lurking the forums for a few days now. I have been cutting neighbors grass ( about 4 weekly and bi-weekly ) for a few years and now I am interested in turning it into a part time business. Tommorow I am going look at my first vehicle ( which I am paying for . . . parents are financing it but im paying the note and insurance and gas for it)! I am looking at the 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Reg. Cab Work Truck 2wd! I am in new orleans, so I am not going to be going up hills or using a snow plow so I figure looking at the small V8 ( 4.8 liter ) with around 285 hp! They claim it can pull 6700 lbs. I am going to need it to pull the family future boat ( 1880 Baystealth only about 3500lbs) and I plan to purchase a 6 X 12 trailer in the future.Do you all think this truck will serve as a good work and personal truck for a teenager?

Thanks,
Nick

gravtyklz
01-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I've seen 2wd trucks get stuck loading/unloading at boat docks...thats something to think about...

Eclipse
01-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Nick,
Welcome and congratulations on starting your own business.

As far as the truck, given your age, your workload, and I'm guessing your income is not too high assuming that you are still in school, I presonally would not consider that new of a truck. You insurance would be pretty steep on a 2006 considering you are a teenager, or at least in Michigan it would be. IMHO you are on track with looking for a 2wd, I would just try to find something a few years older and much cheaper.

Best of luck.

Eclipse
01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
I've seen 2wd trucks get stuck loading/unloading at boat docks...thats something to think about...

This is a good point, but with only a 3500lb boat I don't think it would be a problem but it does depend some on the boat lauch too.

no1knosme12203
01-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Out here, I haven't seen to many trucks get stuck at the launches! Do you all think that $15800 is a decent price? I am really trying to get it down about $1000 off of that but I'm not sure if I can. I was going to go with a used extended cab ( 2001 ) but I will be getting a new truck that I will know is well taken care of and wasn't beat up and I am not paying much more.This truck is right at the budget line for me ( I wanted an extended cab but o well lol maybe in a few years)! Whats the average weight of a 6 X 12 trailer loaded? I don't plan on loading it for probably a year or so but when I do, it will consist of a 36" WB,21" Push,Back Pack Blower,Weed Eater, Edger, Shovels,Brooms,Garbage Can, and some other things that I cant think of off the top of my head ( all the equipment will hopefully be commercial if I can afford it in the next year or so )!If I am asking questions already answered, I apologize! I need to search some stuff! Also, Insurance is almost the same for this 2006 Silverado and a 2001 Silverado ( both EXTREMELY steep, but I want to do this compared to working a regular job since it pays well and because I have enjoyed it since I was 2 ft high lol!

Thanks,
Nick

sheshovel
01-26-2006, 12:27 AM
I do not think any new vehicle is a good vehicle for a first vehicle.Get a used truck one you are able to pay for without going into debt for the rest of your life.
you can get a good used truck for 4 or 5 thousand dollars.That should give you breathing room for new equipment you will need and other such business expense..a lot of breathing room

Jpocket
01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Out here, I haven't seen to many trucks get stuck at the launches! Do you all think that $15800 is a decent price? I am really trying to get it down about $1000 off of that but I'm not sure if I can. I was going to go with a used extended cab ( 2001 ) but I will be getting a new truck that I will know is well taken care of and wasn't beat up and I am not paying much more.This truck is right at the budget line for me ( I wanted an extended cab but o well lol maybe in a few years)! Whats the average weight of a 6 X 12 trailer loaded? I don't plan on loading it for probably a year or so but when I do, it will consist of a 36" WB,21" Push,Back Pack Blower,Weed Eater, Edger, Shovels,Brooms,Garbage Can, and some other things that I cant think of off the top of my head ( all the equipment will hopefully be commercial if I can afford it in the next year or so )!If I am asking questions already answered, I apologize! I need to search some stuff! Also, Insurance is almost the same for this 2006 Silverado and a 2001 Silverado ( both EXTREMELY steep, but I want to do this compared to working a regular job since it pays well and because I have enjoyed it since I was 2 ft high lol!

Thanks,
Nick

I would say it's the perfect truck if you can afford it. when I was younger I would not be allowed to buy a new truck, even though I could probably afford it.

You'll be fine with the 2wd, it's not like your gonna be pulling a 25 Ft Grady White out of the water. And even if you were you could just wait til the tide comes in to load the boat. That truck will serve you well. Personally I'd be looking for an old chevy to fix up real nice, and a nice car as a "social vehical" for high school. you could get both of those for 5-$6000. then when you graduate you could just buy a nice 2500 or something. WhenI was in H.S i always had a car and my old Dually.

gravtyklz
01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Im gonna confirm the buying a used vehicle.

I bought a new truck a year ago. The value of new vehicles drop dramatically until they're 5 years or older sometimes. So if you get in a bind, or want to save money....it may be 2 or 3 years of paying on it until you can get rid of it.

Ofcourse looking at the truck now im sure you could never imagine parting with it....but things like that surely change.

I've always known people to regret getting 2wd trucks. I did when I had one once. If you know for a fact that you'll never need it then thats not an issue though.

jtkplc
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Off the lot new is stupid. I leased my 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 with 6000 miles on it. If I bought it it would have been $33,100. Brand new that was a $47,000 truck. If you want to get a new truck, get a almost new. You'll save the money that you lose once you drive it off the lot. I don't think us young guys can't have nice trucks, just don't over extend yourself and live beyond your means. If you can afford it, go for it. Now is the time in your life when you can afford to do it, not after you get a house, family, and kids with all of the expenses that come with that. Look on autotrader.com. I've bought all 3 vehicles I've ever bought from there and have gotten awesome deals. You could find more what you're looking for, extended cab or possibly 4x4.

trent515
01-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I think $15800 is quite high for a Silverado 1500 Reg Cab 2WD, especially if it is a fairly no-frills, 5-speed, short bed. Around here, you can get the same truck for $12500-$13k most of the time. I know I would be looking hard at used trucks, something a little more affordable. With a little searching, you can find you a good truck that hasn't been used or abused much. If you're still dead set against that, you might browse the lots this time of year for a held-over 05 model. They no doubt want to get rid of these, and will deal a LOT more on these than a new 06.
You mentioned trying to afford commercial equipment. In my opinion, save a few bucks on a used truck, and get GOOD equipment, rather than having a NEW ride and junk that breaks every year. You'll be far better off in the long run.

climber
01-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Thats a great truck to start with IMO. If its a v8 I think it says it pulls around 10,400 (not sure on the v6) But the 2wd is fine, we have a boat(mercury checkmate) and jet ski and when we get our boat out of the water we use 2wd and the grade it about 30 degrees and we dont have a problem. As far as equipment get the good stuuf now and it will last you. No crapsman stuff all commercial equipment.

mrusk
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd buy that truck for 15k. If you put some money down the payment won't be bad at all, and insurance won't hurt you. Keep the truck for 10 years. Put 150k on it, and then sell it for 4k and you will do fine. The ain't nothing wrong with buying a new truck, just make sure you keep it along time to get your money worth out of it. Just don't get power windows or any yuppy stuff.

RedWingsDet
01-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I will give you my advise since I'm around your age.

Like others have said its quite expensive. Also, make sure you can afford the insurance BEFORE you buy it. If I were you I would be looking at 01-03 3/4ton trucks, rather than a halfton, that way once your done with school you dont have to go shopping again just for a bigger truck to haul a bigger trailer if you expand down the road... Like others have said as soon as you drive off the lot you lose a TON of value, especially after the first 2 years. I would look used. I found a great deal on my truck, its not everything I wanted, but then again im young and dont need power windows and all those goodies.

A half ton, not 4x4, for 15k isnt that good of a deal IMO. you could EAISLY find a 03-05 halfton with low miles for around the 9-12k range.

also, make sure its something you can afford, if its not, buy something older, and try to pay cash, and be done with it, and again make sure you can afford the insurance. Right now, im paying more for insurance than I am for my car payment, and I've never been in an accident or had a ticket.

Also IMO, you will want 4x4 when you at boat launchs. We used to have a 30ft sea ray, and this past summer I bought a wave runner, and when launching the wave runner, I saw toooo many trucks getting stuck. Some were even 1ton diesels getting stuck. One was a f350 dulley and even got stuck in 4x4. So thats just something to think about

Now with all that said, if you want to buy a 3/4 ton truck, im selling mine (01 2500HD 4x4) in less than 2 months.

officeguy
01-26-2006, 11:02 PM
A 2-3 year old used vehicle is always the best value regardless of type, make or model. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Just my opinion though.

Jpocket
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Yea you should be able to get a nice 99' or so 2500 LOADED, with low miles for about $9000.

pottstim
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I have an '04 silverado 4x4 shortbed reg cab with the 4.8 and auto trans. It does a good job of pulling my trailer with the mowers, mulch or topsoil. I get about 14-15 mpg in the city and about 19-20 mpg on the highway. If you get a truck like this with the auto, make sure you get one with the towing package. It includes the receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, and probably most important of all, the auxilary transmission oil cooler. I always tow in Drive, not overdrive. I also make sure the trans fluid is changed every 30,000. good luck in your search.

grassmanak
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Im gonna have to say i agree with everyone on here, i bought my first vehicle 3 years ago at 16 for 500.00, saved up all my other money and was able to by a brand new truck at 18. Even after the 12K i put down, i was still upside down on it. Id recomend buy something used. Ive been debating trading my truck in a 3/4 ton lately, just because i bought the half ton to begin with, it drives great, lots of power for towing, and hauling. rated at 8100lbs, but i just cant treat it like a work truck if that makes sense?. i dunno man, its all up to you, just think into the future before you buy, and definetly check on insurance

janb
01-28-2006, 01:46 AM
I vote used, .. recommend as much as you can afford to insure w/o going in debt (fund your Roth IRA 1st)

I'd find a HD 1/2 ton for your needs, as 3/4 is more maint costs (brakes, fuel, steering) (tires usually more too)

I bought a brand new truck at 17, one of my worst purchases, because I later realized I needed something different to meet my needs (ordered it waited 6 months...my dad was right...:cry: ) But...I already had bought a 20 yr old truck (for $65) at age 15, so... I just kept that, it was great, all fixed up and painted, girls loved it, customers too, especially the older ones.

now 35 yrs later... I drive a $200 truck that gets 50 mpg (VW-Caddy) meets most of my needs + have trailer for it. (I also have a $5000 1T dodge diesel for heavier loads, and use my neighbor's Kenworth if stuff gets too heavy)

think lowest cost basis for depreciable property, and go buy a house or some land with the extra $12K

also you will get much more productive use from a used truck, as you won't be the first one to scratch it :realmad:

Scag48
01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Buy something used. You'll thank us later. Insurance is extremely expensive and along with a new truck purchase you'll be in over your head for your age/income. I bought a loaded '00 GMC 2500 2 years ago for $11K with 125K miles, you can find something with less miles and a couple years newer for around $15K. That will do you just fine.

mrusk
01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm 19 and drive a 05' Ram 3/4 ton cummins and my insurance is only 1200 a year for a million dollors commerical.

gravtyklz
01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm 19 and drive a 05' Ram 3/4 ton cummins and my insurance is only 1200 a year for a million dollors commerical.

Who's name is your insurance under? I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota, my record is fine, I'm 21, and have expensive ded. yet my insurance is the same. If its in your name.....tell me your insurance company!

ALarsh
01-29-2006, 01:33 AM
I would say used also. My 2004 Chevy 2500 HD has a sticker price of $36,300. I bought it with 15,000 miles on it in new condition for $22,900. Saved $13,400 by letting someone else drive it around for 15,000 miles.

POPO4995
01-29-2006, 02:47 AM
My first car was a 1992 Chevy S10 Blazer with a snowplow. Then I went to a 1996 Dodge 1500 2WD, then 2001 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab, and as of about a month ago, a 2004 F-250 Diesel. Trust me, I love my truck but I hate that damn payment! Between my truck, John Deere Commercial, and everyday bills, you dont want a new truck.....buy used and take the extra $$$ and buy equipment.payup payup

Scag48
01-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Saved $13,400 by letting someone else drive it around for 15,000 miles. Basically you saved money by having them break 'er in for you!

lawnboy dan
01-29-2006, 08:24 PM
stupid is leasing a truck vs buying! nothing wrong with buying new if you know you will keep it for a long time and its the right truck for your needs. i would always get a long bed over a short bed. 4X4 is a waist of money in most cases. it all depends on your needs of course. most people who buy 4x4 never even use it

mrusk
01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
I end up using 4x4 2-3 times a week, sometimes 5 times a day depending on what job site i am non!

Newbie07
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
i just got a 2002 single cab Z71 for my first truck, (i owe some to my dad) and i LOVE it
omg i love it, i love the four wheel drive and the 5.3 V8 but think about the gas as well, id go with a nice used truck