PDA

View Full Version : plant watering

hewitt64
04-10-2001, 12:35 AM
Hey, guys
I was wondering how much water you give plants that were just planted and for how long. I just went to share this with one of my clients who like to over water. Also when do you guys start your clean ups, its still kind of wet her? any information will be greatly apprecaited.

greens1
04-10-2001, 01:05 AM
It really depends on the plants water requirements, size, type, temp, ect. A good rule of thumb is to soak the rootstock and surrounding area completely after planting and then keep the soil moist, but not saturated. If you take a handfull of soil and squeeze, it should hold together but you should not be able to squeeze water out of it. Remember that the rootstock needs air. Overwatering eliminates the airspace between the soil particles and promotes soil compation. One exception to the above rule is in the summer when the temps are way up you must be careful not to soak the rootstock with cold water, the plant can, and probably will, suffer from shock and die. When I plant a new tree or shrub I allways use a tree bag. This bag zips arround the trunk and has several holes on the bottom. The bag is then filled and the water slowly seeps into the ground arround the rootstock. The bag should not stay on the trunk for more than 24 hrs before being removed.
Good Luck,
Jim L

paul
04-10-2001, 07:10 PM
More Plants die of over watering than under watering!
We had a Park District Buy dead* plants because they over watered them with the irrigation system. most plants need a good watering when planted and again if your rain fall is lacking, Most times Mother Nature does a pretty good job.

*I really don't want it get in why they had to buy the plants but they now know how to use a irrigation system:)