PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH MULCH

srk5252
04-10-2001, 02:05 AM
I plan on mulching my mom's house this weekend and i was wondering how many yards will fit in my pick-up and trailer. My pick-up bed is 7ft long and 4 ft wide. I also have a 4'x8' trailer i can use which has 2 foot walls.
-thanks for your input-

Skookum
04-10-2001, 03:05 AM
Your bigger problem is weight. If you are getting bulk loose mulch it might be wet and you will have more weight than dry. Watch your weight on that 4x8 trailer if it is one of those small fold up jobs. ( I know from experience after breaking a axle in half ) There is no real way to tell weight of mulch but some have stated as much as 1000 pounds per yard. If that is true, one yard would be about limit on a small 4x8 trailer, even though with 2' sides you could get about 2 to 2.5 yards in the trailer.

Same with the truck, watch your weight if this is a small midsized pickup. 7 x 4 gives you about a yard for every foot deep you have it loaded. So, you could get about the same as the trailer 2 to 2.5 yards or so. Remember though that your truck is also carrying some of that trailer weight as well.

Total you could get in truck and trailer if weight is OK would be about 4 to 5 yards. You might get another yard if it was packed down more and heeped in the centers to give a total of 5 to 6. But again, this could be as much as 5 to 6 thousand pounds which would be too much for a small trailer and a small truck.

Be Careful !

Catcher
04-10-2001, 10:35 AM
My eperience with mulch has been that I'm running out of room before reaching the weight limit. Generally mulch is pretty fluffy, not very dense, and you should be able to haul quite a bit. This is based on moist, shredded cedar mulch, I guess if the mulch sat long enough to where it is extremely compressed, almost to the point of having begun to decompose, it would obviously be a bit heavier.
If you need a lot, for large areas, most places deliver it for free or a small fee if you buy enough quantity.

Skookum
04-10-2001, 03:14 PM
Catcher has a point. My experiences lately with hardwood mulch is that it is like hauling dirt. It is very wet, decaying and compacted, there is no fluff to it.

I have hauled fluffy light feeling bags of cypress mulch at twice the yardage load of bulk hardwood myself.

You will only be able to tell as you load up what you are buying.

Having it deliverd is another good point. Around here most will diliver mulch for about $50 dollars or so. If you have to make two or three trips to one deliver charge, you would likely be better off having it deliverd saving you time, money and wear and tear on your vehicle.