PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of bridge products?

mrkosar
01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
I am starting an organic lawn care company this spring on a small scale. I think I am going to offer a transition program which will consist of a Lesco 15-3-7 organic based fertilizer, and spot spraying weeds. The organic base has composted turkey litter, hydrolyzed feathermeal, and sulfate potash. Does this sound like it will create a healthy soil to move in the right direction of a pesticide-free progam in the third year? I am also offering an all organic progam for those who want no chemicals at all. I will offer a pure organic product, or maybe a natural weed and feed. I have had trouble finding a supplier of quality all-organic products in my area. I am around the Dayton, OH area and need a supplier that is within 20-30 miles because I have no forklift and will be doing it at a small scale this first year. Any suggestions? Also, what are everyone's thoughts on putting down a seaweed extract product in mid summer? Can you put this down with a fertilizer and/or spot spray?

Keegan
01-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Have you tried North Country Organics. They have a couple of distributors in Ohio. Very good company and very helpful. NOt sure about the seaweed. Lesco's organic produc is truely not organic. Too much Nitrogen and all fillers

mrkosar
01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
They seem to have a good organic product for my pure organic program, but no bridge materials for a transition program. I recently started talking to Nutrients PLUS and their stuff seems to be at a good price, while assuring that I get down the correct amount of organic matter to push me in the right direction away from chemicals. their bridge product contains manures and biosolids. does anyone know anything about these products? are my customers going to be dying from the smell for days? that is a major issue if so. more opinions!!! thanks keegan. help a rookie out.

TurfProSTL
01-28-2006, 10:24 AM
I recently started talking to Nutrients PLUS and their stuff seems to be at a good price, while assuring that I get down the correct amount of organic matter to push me in the right direction away from chemicals. their bridge product contains manures and biosolids. does anyone know anything about these products? are my customers going to be dying from the smell for days? Your customers may notice a musty, earthy smell for a day or so with the bridge products. I used it on 300 or so accounts for several seasons with no complaints.

The pure poultry 4-3-2 has a more over-powering odor. Your applicator will complain about the smell. Got a 'wet' batch of this once that would have gagged a maggot.

Stick with their blends and you should have no real odor problems.....

NattyLawn
01-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I've used most of the NP products, and agree with STL, that the bridge products (7-2-12, 16-2-3) have very little odor compared to 4-3-1, 6-2-4 and the 4-3-2. Some of the ferts do smell, but the customer has never complained.
We got a batch of the "Iron Giant" that I will never forget. :)

Keegan
01-29-2006, 03:08 PM
I was curious about your seaweed question maurerma. Neptunes harvest says to apply monthy during the growing season. hope this helps

mrkosar
01-29-2006, 09:22 PM
they have organic stuff that is made of majority animal byproducts. do these have a strong scent? looks like they have all organic products and bridge products that contain urea. they have a 15-2-8 and 21-3-7. won't a 21% nitrogen product defeat the purpose of transitioning into a healthy soil with high salt content? opinions on these products???

livingsoils
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I use Earthworks fertilizers, it is composted poultry manure. It has a earthy scent but doesn't persist long. I have never had a customer complain about it. My question to you is why do you need to use a 21-3-7? You don't need to put down a 1lb of N per application. If you are going the organic route then I would look into something a little less strong in N and have it be more Water insoluble. Let the microbes in the soil do the work for you, they will deliver a steady amount of N as the turf needs it. You just need a small amount of synthetic N to get that quick green up.

mrkosar
01-30-2006, 12:56 AM
that would be for my transition program, but I was thinking the same thing about the high nitrogen %. i'm just a rookie livingsoil and i'm trying to absorb as much information as quickly as possible. thanks to guys like you it is possible to learn a lot in a little amount of time. thanks for the advice. thanks Keegan, NattyLawn, TurfProSTL, and livingsoil for your input. this site is awesome. any advice on where to go to obtain more information on organic lawn care? i'm already getting paul sachs, and don williamson's books on natural lawn care. thanks guys.

Keegan
01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Paul Sachs' book is excellent. I've also read "building a Healthy Lawn" by Stuart Franklin.
If you ever take a trip to New England, look up N.O.F.A. They offer a very intensive 5 day course on organic land care in CT & MA.

timturf
02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Nothing wrong with the high n, if it's slow release AND HASa LOW SALT INDEX!!!!

The Cowboy
02-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the high n, if it's slow release AND HASa LOW SALT INDEX!!!!
I have used some bridge products for a couple years now and find them to work very well. They have a longer duration and very little smell. The poultry manure and biosolids based products have no recognizable odor once spread, and are more pleasant to deal with than salt based fertilizers, from an applicators standpoint.
Low salt is important if you don't want to be drinking it in your well water, and if you want to see green grass in the middle of june. Saline soils are a pain, just look at what happens to the turf at the side of the road after the salt spreading season is over.