PDA

View Full Version : Nut removal -- Ideas anyone?

eruuska
01-26-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a customer whose nuts I have to remove. From his lawn. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Seriously, he's got hickory and walnuts that leave a mess on his lawn. I did his fall cleanup and took about 200 pounds of nuts off his lawn. He called today and he's got more that have fallen since November.

Any brilliant ideas? I originally used a BP blower to get them into a pile then fed them into my Trac Vac. Today I'm not dragging the TV over there, but I'm just going to blow em into a pile and shovel them into a bag for disposal.

Would something like a Billy Goat walk behind lawn vac work on this? Anything has to be better than what I'm doing.

Jpocket
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=eruuska]I have a customer whose nuts I have to remove.

YOUR SICK! this is a LAwn forum:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :dizzy:

LawnBrother
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
This is what you need:
1. Enough chicken wire to create a perimeter about 5' high
2. Power source to electrify your perimeter
3. About 300 hungry grey or fox squirrels (they are good cheap laborers, since they work for peanuts, or any other nuts you happen to have around)
4. If no squirrels are available, chimpmunks can be used in a pinch, but you will need at least 1.5 times the amount of chipmunks as squirrels
5. Steve Irwin, (can catch about anything, he can help you wrangle those little buggas) If you can't get in contact with Steve, Marty Stouffer may be able to give you a hand, and he can teach you how to enjoy our Wild America

Or you can just get a lawn vac.....

2menandamower
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Jpocket that is tooooo freakin funny. I was thinking just how painful that was going to be for the customer. Talk about high prices Ha Ha.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I also have a customer that has hickory nuts all over the place and I would love to know if a Billy Goat vac would work on them. I am thinking of getting one in the fall but I don't want to tear it up sucking nuts..... That is not what I ment I ment crushing nuts..... Um I mean removing nuts.....

Good Question just funny as heck to look at and not laugh....

Pecker
01-26-2006, 02:04 PM
The BillyGoat was my first thought. . .but I question how much it would be able to collect because it relies on the blower to pile debris up in the bag. I'm wondering how well those dense nuts would do in it.

On a side note: Those hickory nuts are hard to crack but it sure seems like a waste to throw away those walnuts. . .

Duck Dodger
01-26-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure about nuts but I have used my walker to remove gumballs and it got about 80% of them. I make it a strict policy not to deal with other folks nuts.

Jpocket
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Lol:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Envy Lawn Service
01-26-2006, 02:28 PM
You know, nuts are one thing I have never given much thought to. So long as my mower ain't launching them or they are not causing me to loose control on hillsides, I never think of them.

Chestnuts, Walnuts and Hickory Nuts are the worst though. The Hickory Nuts are about the equivilent of a yard full of golf balls though. But still, I never really worry much about them. Here it's a country setting and for the most part I only find the nut bearing trees on older properties farther out in the sticks. Mostly retirees that enjoy watching the squirrels and stuff come to their yard to get them and play.

So the customer is happy and I never really bother with them.
Never really thought about it either. The animals don't let them build up and go to waste, which is something I have taken for granted I guess. It's gotta be a pain getting all those up.

chimmygew
01-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Blow em onto a tarp.

lawnboy dan
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
another job for a snapper hi vac. i have a custemer with a huge hickory nut tree and i vacume them up using my snapper.

rodfather
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a customer whose nuts I have to remove. From his lawn. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Seriously, he's got hickory and walnuts that leave a mess on his lawn. I did his fall cleanup and took about 200 pounds of nuts off his lawn. He called today and he's got more that have fallen since November.

Any brilliant ideas? I originally used a BP blower to get them into a pile then fed them into my Trac Vac. Today I'm not dragging the TV over there, but I'm just going to blow em into a pile and shovel them into a bag for disposal.

Would something like a Billy Goat walk behind lawn vac work on this? Anything has to be better than what I'm doing.

there was a thread very similar to this a couple of years ago with some real good replies...maybe try a search on it.

Remsen1
01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Invite the highschool varsity golf team over to the yard for a practice drill. Have them pratice hitting the nuts onto your tarp :)

rodfather
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Invite the highschool varsity golf team over to the yard for a practice drill. Have them pratice hitting the nuts onto your tarp :)

better yet, field hockey:)

Littleriver1
01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
OK! Your all wrong. We have a lot of nut trees here but I only have one customer that really cares about picking them up. The best way is to use a shop vac. When the vac fills up you dump it in a wheel barrel or truck or what ever. If you run over them with your mower it pushes them into the ground. Blowing them into piles takes too long plus you still have to pick them up. After my customer realized how much he was paying me, he got another shop vacs and he and his wife relieved me of the nut job.

mkwl
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Nut removal, huh? Tell him to go see a Doctor. :rolleyes:LOL No, seriously, in the past, I've just used my Little Wonder with the chute pointed way down to blow the nuts into a pile.

Likestomow
01-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Nut removal is not hard, just time consuming. Use a strong backpack blower, like a Redmax and blow until you have a pretty good row of nuts going. Then rake them onto a tarp. You will have to rake them because you can't blow them onto a tarp. Use a small tarp, like a 6'x8' so you can pick up the sides and funnel the nuts into a plastic bag or can or what ever you use. That's what we do.

eruuska
01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I ended up blowing them into several piles with my BP blower, then shoveling them into the trash bag. Went quicker than I expected, but it's still sucky work.

Sounds like there's no magic solution. This fall I might see if I can "demo" a Billy Goat vacuum.

I found the old thread on nuts, didn't seem to be a whole lot there either.

Thanks guys!

lawnboy dan
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
snapper 21 hivac is the magic soultion what could be eaiser ?

imdawrlus
01-26-2006, 11:24 PM
just castrate the trees.....

topsites
01-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure about nuts but I have used my walker to remove gumballs and it got about 80% of them. I make it a strict policy not to deal with other folks nuts.

To remove the nut problem, remove thyself :dizzy:

It kinda reminds me of folks who want me to pull weeds by hand.

In my case, there are some things I just will not do... I can not tell you if I would do this job, but I can tell you I failed to show up on a prior job involving thousands of pine cones. I just couldn't do it, at least not all at one time. It's not the time involved, it's the mental aggravation does me in everytime, I can't even get the truck to start those days.

But yes, I like clean yards, too.

So, normally I take care of pita stuff like that over time, 200 here, 400 there, 5 and 10 MAYBE 20 minutes a visit I'll spend picking up the crap.
It's about all I can handle, then a month (or three) later it is done.
It's the easy way out, but it does work.

And if it matters, I'm just as interested in a better solution.

burns60
01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
OK! Your all wrong. We have a lot of nut trees here but I only have one customer that really cares about picking them up. The best way is to use a shop vac. When the vac fills up you dump it in a wheel barrel or truck or what ever. If you run over them with your mower it pushes them into the ground. Blowing them into piles takes too long plus you still have to pick them up. After my customer realized how much he was paying me, he got another shop vacs and he and his wife relieved me of the nut job.

I read them all with interest since I once had an account with nuts, and "little river" I think you get my vote. I used to mulch them, but it didn't get them all. After I had complained one fall, the property owner bought me a set of blades. As I have said before, I have some good customers.

Good luck, but I guess there isn't a perfect solution to this problem.

SproulsLawnCare
01-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Try this!

JHIGGS
01-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Im not sure it will work with the smaller nuts but my dad and grandfather use a Craftsman yard sweeper to get nut and twigs out of thier yard all the time. Those things pick everything up and they don't even have to get off to empty the sweeper. Just have a good place to dump it!!

lampeslawnservice
01-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Actually their is money to be made here. My father in law is a tree farmer and he actually picks up nuts with a tool specifically made for this. I know the national arbor day society pays for the nuts you collect if you decide to sell them I know a few guys here in town thats what they do during the fall and they make 20000 to 30000 just in two months. I wil try to find you a link to this tool later on today. I think he bought his from an Arbor day Society book?

LawnBrother
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, I still think 300 hungry squirrels would do the trick, but maybe this is the tool someone was referring to:
http://www.nutwizard.com/
Looks like it would work great to me, but on small properties only.

jasonnau
01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
This is what you need:
1. Enough chicken wire to create a perimeter about 5' high
2. Power source to electrify your perimeter
3. About 300 hungry grey or fox squirrels (they are good cheap laborers, since they work for peanuts, or any other nuts you happen to have around)
4. If no squirrels are available, chimpmunks can be used in a pinch, but you will need at least 1.5 times the amount of chipmunks as squirrels
5. Steve Irwin, (can catch about anything, he can help you wrangle those little buggas) If you can't get in contact with Steve, Marty Stouffer may be able to give you a hand, and he can teach you how to enjoy our Wild America

Or you can just get a lawn vac.....
You forgot about parrots. A big flock of parrots borrowed from the local pet store might help too.:)

NEUSWEDE
01-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Try one of these AM Leonard sells them for like $55 I am sure you can find one else where.
http://www.amleo.com/help-desk/items/n/nww/nww.jpg

lampeslawnservice
01-28-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.grimonut.com/products.htm

steve45
01-28-2006, 10:49 AM
My brother-in-law has 15 pecan trees. I was able to try both of the above tools, and both do a pretty credible job on pecans. I borrowed the squirrel cage looking tool to pick up acorns in my yard. It works fairly well, but it really works better on larger nuts.

He said he only paid about $30 for his, I'll try to find out where he got it.

Flex-Deck
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Heck, I just mow em' It actually makes the squirrels job easier, because the mower usually cracks the shell for them. Never have really given any thought or put forth any effort to treat Nuts any differently than grass. LOL

lampeslawnservice
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
The one I have listed above works great and see many of the "professional" nut pickers using them

Precision
01-28-2006, 11:09 AM
how about borrowing one of those golf ball collectors from the local driving range?

steve45
01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Update: The squirrel cage on a stick, shown above, is made by:

Holt's Nut Wizard Inc
1000 Bowens Mill Rd SE
Douglas, GA 31533
912-389-1927

My brother-in-law picked one up for me for $40 from Concho Valley Pecan Co., San Angelo, TX; (915) 655-5318

cbelawn
01-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Works the nuts

Runner
01-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Power broom is the way to go. It is fast and THOROUGH. Don't get nme wrong, the tow-behind lawn sweepers do work, but for practicality purposes, since they are in a somewhat condensed area, these power sweeps (the rubber flap type) are the way to go. You can push them into rows and then small piles if you want, then just scoop them with a grain shovel. Myself, I just scoop them from the rows, or just sweep them up directly onto the tarp (getting the most of them). After I pick up the rows, I then sweep lengthwise real quick, and it quickly sweeps them right back up into a last pile. The thing about the powersweps, is that they are so thorough and get the area completely clean...even the broken up shell pieces.
As far as the person that was going to look into demoing the lawn vac for picking these up. I encourage you to do so. That way, you will know not to spend your money on something that doesn't work. There are very FEW actual applications for these machines...basically in tight areas during windy conditions. Other than that, they have virtually no use.

Duck Dodger
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I believe douglas is in the 912 area code

The Captain
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
You guys may laugh at me, but I use my old Craftsman 42" lawntractor with a set of highlifts and my Cyclone Rake. I use this set up for Hazelnuts, Walnuts and Acorns. I try to do the leaf cleanup at the same time as they seem to aid in lifting or picking the nuts from the grass. The noise is loud, sounds like opening day of duck season, but the Cyclones' impeller and highlift blades do the job for me. The cart allows me to dump on a hard surface, like the driveway, for easy pick up and loading into the truck. Surprisingly the rig doesn't push the nuts down too for into the sod, to pull them up and out.
The walk behind vacs may work also, but the capacity of the hoppers seem awfully small for a large lawn.

The Captain

firefightergw
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure what the laws are in Indiana but here in Texas there are laws prohibiting the use of Billy Goats for sucking nuts.

Envy Lawn Service
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure what the laws are in Indiana but here in Texas there are laws prohibiting the use of Billy Goats for sucking nuts.

Now that made me laugh.... :laugh:

That right there is some true green industry humor :p

Runner
02-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Now that there is funny! I don't care WHO ya are!

NIXRAY
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
One Thing You Could Try, If It's Becomin' A Real Problem. I'D USE A POWER BROOM (AKA RAKE) ALL THE 'NUTS' TO THE SIDE WALK OR DRIVE THEN USE YOUR VAC, (YOU SAID YOU HAVE A "T/V"?) THEN TAKE THE HOSE OUT OF THE
COLLECTION CONTAINER AND PUT IT RIGHT IN YOUR TRUCK ASSUMING YOU HAVE A DUMP??)