PDA

View Full Version : Angle iron vs. Tube steel Trailer

adamrsnively
01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I currently have a 14 ft steel tubed frame trailer. I am looking to buy a 18 to 20 ft and can't decide if I should pay the extra $1000-$1500 for a tube frame rather than go for the cheaper angle iron. I primarily use the trailer for hauling mowers, but haul mulch, stone etc occasionally. Any thoughts on how long the angle iron will last, performance issues, disadvantages?

jtkplc
01-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I currently have a 14 ft steel tubed frame trailer. I am looking to buy a 18 to 20 ft and can't decide if I should pay the extra $1000-$1500 for a tube frame rather than go for the cheaper angle iron. I primarily use the trailer for hauling mowers, but haul mulch, stone etc occasionally. Any thoughts on how long the angle iron will last, performance issues, disadvantages?

I'm not expert on the issue, but I would think the main advantage to a tubed trailer would be that it is more stirdy than an angle iron trailer.

I would only buy a tube steel trailer if there was going to be a lot of stress on the sides, like from tie downs, sides, or whatever. Otherwise, just hauling basic things, mulch or equipment, I couldn't see where the extra money spent would pay off.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I have both, angle and tube trailer. My 12 ft trailer is tube and is more rigid than my 16ft angle trailer is. I went with an angle trailer for my longer trailer,allthough it will haul 7000 pounds, very seldom does it ever see more than 2000 pounds. I needed length more than capacity.If you are going to keep both trailers, then an angle trailer for the equipment and the tube trailer for mulch and ect.

wayne

pottstim
01-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I have both, angle and tube trailer. My 12 ft trailer is tube and is more rigid than my 16ft angle trailer is. I went with an angle trailer for my longer trailer,allthough it will haul 7000 pounds, very seldom does it ever see more than 2000 pounds. I needed length more than capacity.If you are going to keep both trailers, then an angle trailer for the equipment and the tube trailer for mulch and ect.

wayne

I have a 6 1/2 x 10 tube frame trailer and it is extremely solid with very little flex. Two and a half years ago, I paid $750 for it with a wood floor. I've used a 6 x 12 angle iron frame trailer for a previous employer, and it flexed like a corkscrew but other than that it held the weight good. I think part of the reason that particular trailer had a decent amount of flex was that it didn't have a v-shaped tongue. I believe that will add a decent amount of rigidity to a trailer. The only downside i've seen to my tube frame trailer is that there is a decent amount of surface rust up inside the tube frame because it was all bare metal. The only thing i could thing to do was spray the inside of the rails to death with a can of rust oleum spray paint. i just hope that it doesn't rust through anytime soon.

kc2006
01-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Round tube is going to be extremely stronger. Corners are weak points, so angle is going to be weakest since it has a corner and its just open theres nothing to connect it all the way around. Round tube trailers are very beefy since theres no corners on a circle its a very sturdy piece.

My trailer is angle iron, its 2 years old now I think and its fine but its never seen more then 2000lbs on it. Unless your going to be hauling really heavy equipment I wouldn't see the need. Start talking 6000lbs or more and I would rather buck up for tube.

AintNoFun
01-28-2006, 11:02 AM
i bought 3 Big Tex trailers in the beginning of last year i must say they are the heaviest built trailer i've ever seen.. the price wasn't that much more than the competition. but they are 8 lug i believe 7000lb axles, etc... i would recommend them to anyone....