PDA

View Full Version : shovels, pitchforks, etc...

gogetter
04-10-2001, 11:27 AM
Anyone have good sources (catalogs, online companies, etc.) that have a good assortment of landscape tools like shovels, pitchforks, rakes, pruners, etc.???
Any good brand names to look for?
Alot of the stuff at Sears and even Home Depot seemed very low quality.
Any leads appreciated.

Jonathan

SCL
04-10-2001, 12:24 PM
Here's a few that I have:
http://www.amleo.com
This is AM Leonard, good co. little high on prices
http://www.ad-corp.com
Agri Drain, some unique products for drainage and tools
http://www.landscapersupply.com
Just about everything good prices
Central Landscape Supply 1-800-772-3888, little bit of everything , good prices, no website?
Good Luck

greens1
04-10-2001, 12:27 PM
one good place is http://www.forestry-suppliers.com .
anouther good place is American Arborist, you have to call 1800-441-8381 and ask them to send you a catalog. Expect to pay between 50 and 70 bucks for a good shovel.
Good Luck
Jim L

diginahole
04-10-2001, 07:08 PM
Good day,
I have no idea where to get them but Speare and Jackson makes the best spade I have ever owned.

thelawnguy
04-10-2001, 10:49 PM
The best shovel I have owned was a no-name with a red fiberglas handle which I bought at a yard sale for $2.

Sears are good if you are in the habit of running tools over or using them as prybars and breaking handles; they replace for free, no questions asked.

gene gls
04-10-2001, 11:18 PM
A. M. Leonard; http://www.amleo.com

CT18fireman
04-11-2001, 12:15 AM
$70 for a shovel? I would rather buy a new one every few years at sears or home depot.

greens1
04-11-2001, 01:31 AM
I use a King of Spades Diamond pointe shovel, Forged blade, thick wide rubber footpads and zinc plated aircraft tubing D-handle. I use this shovel for everything and the foot pads mean I can get 20 trees in the ground, without sore feet for the next two days. The price you pay for a tool or equiptment isn't in the catalog, it's in the field. It cost arround 65 bucks and I ordered 3 more today, just incase they stop making them. Remember bad tools are like bad friends, they let you down when you need them most.
Jim L

SCL
04-11-2001, 11:29 AM
If you"re looking to pry a lot of trees out or looking to heavy abuse, buy a steel handled shovel. Otherwise you can't beat a good old wood handle. I haven't had much luck with fiberglass but would like to try on of the Agri Drain models.

bam
04-11-2001, 10:04 PM
We utilize two types of hand tools - disposable and those that should last awhile.

For disposable - we find the cheapest, usually ames or = from home depot - for plastic leaf rakes, metal leaf rakes, plastic scoop shovels and maybe brooms, items that will not typically last for more than a season or maybe even spring cleanup.

The items we should maintain - spades, shovels, hard rakes, pitchforks, etc. - come from a nursery where we may spend upwards of $60/spade, but are usually guaranteed a free replacement when it breaks, and it does...Costly tools are also engraved with a number, so we can track it. We have spent way too much money in the past in tools left at a job or at the dump. It really irks me when I'm at the far reaches of a property and find tools just laying there, from the last time we were at the site.

The nursery carries a few brands including the razorback line, and they have catalogs.

Again, think of customer service, sometimes you need to pay a little $$$, but the end return may be worth it.

diginahole
04-11-2001, 10:17 PM
Marking your tools is a great idea.
I left a $70 spade at a customers house once and ended up back there a year later. I noticed the spade in his garage and said I must have left it there. He insisted it was his, but I knew full well it was mine. Not many homeowners buy $70 spades to compliment their $20 wheelbarrows. A mark on the spade would have let me recoverd the valuable spade. I'll add that to my list of things to do.

thelawnguy
04-11-2001, 11:13 PM
"We have spent way too much money in the past in tools left at a job or at the dump."

I paint the handles of my hand tools with fluorescent orange paint so they are readily visible in the grass, if thats where they end up.

Guido
04-12-2001, 06:16 AM
Why pay so much for a shovel that you'll loose or break sooner or later anyway when you can pay $20-$25 at sears and it has a lifetime waranty no questions asked??

This goes for the large poly rakes as well. Thats all I bought because I knew they would break, etc.

To each his own I guess, I just couldn't justify it.

lakegastonla
04-12-2001, 11:29 AM
No 70 dollar shovels, here, either!!! Makes no sense whatsoever! Free replacement as Guido said, at Sears. Hand tools have a way of walking off and I would be really ticked if they were 40-70 bucks a piece instead of 12-18!!

Stonehenge
04-12-2001, 04:22 PM
Maybe I'm cheap, but partway into a season, and also at the end of the season, I take all of the broken hand tools and repair them. If the spoon on the shovel is cracked, I remove it from the handle, and put that handle on a shovel whose spoon is still good. I also have a few spare handles for shovels sitting around. When they break, it's a 5 min fix on a Saturday morning.

What's everyone's best steel rake? Do you use ones made for road crews? They seem to be more durable than the usual 'bow' style rake, as I end up deforming the metal in short order.

greens1
04-12-2001, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear that so many people can't keep track of their equiptment. If my guys lost tools on the job like that I would have a fit. I have a rack on my trailer with a spot for each tool. All I have to do is check the rack to see if there is a tool missing.I use a straight back stone rakes. I use the back of the rake for finish grade work, so the bow style doesn't work very well. The stone rakes are also much stronger than the bow. Where I am located I run into a lot of MI blue clay. Anything lightwight is toast in a day or two.
Jim L

[Edited by greens1 on 04-12-2001 at 06:14 PM]

kountryscape
04-12-2001, 08:51 PM
just bought some really nice tools. There ames KODIAK brand i by most of my tools at locally owned contractor supply stores. they know what works and they sell to large contractors . I figure that if a customer can buy the same tools you can they can do the work. I try to buy the stuff no homeowner has ever seen so it looks like i have all the toys , i know sounds strange but i think it works .

never let them see you sweat and alway keep them in aw!

jarrett
countryscape

lakegastonla
05-07-2001, 09:18 AM
I think you meant "keep them in awe." And by the way, it only works if you can spell it correctly.

lawnboy82
05-07-2001, 11:28 PM
if you are in PA? do you have a shemins near you? they have all the good tools. the landscape rakes, shovels, scoops, the felco shears, the pole saws, all that stuff. prices are good. they sometimes can be a pain to deal with but maybe you should take the time to check them out. i used to drive the 1 hr to get to them. however if you do it right you save lots of money.