PDA

View Full Version : new floor for trailer???

fivestarlawnken
01-26-2006, 09:29 PM
hey guys,,
I'm putting a new floor in my trailer using 2xtreated,and i'm wondering would you butt them up tight or leave 1/4 of an inch between the rows...??Any help or sugg apreciated in advance! THANKS:confused:

RRHAMMONS
01-26-2006, 09:37 PM
If the lumber has not been seasoned, ie, stacked with air gaps where it can dry, I would place the lumber touching. It will leave a gap of 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch when it drys. I you have lumber that has been dried completely, as a rule of thumb, place a #16 nail as a spacer between the boards. Hope this helps.

mcwlandscaping
01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Use gaps, if there is any expanding it will allow it to do so, and also, will not trap a bunch of dirt a junk in their. Like above poster said, use nail to space them.

Bulldog26
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
What is the best way to replace those boards? My trailer has U shaped groves for the board to slide into. When placing the boards in, wont it become to tight to fit in? I need to do this before the season starts..... how do I do this?
bt

Tadams
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Man, put those boards as close together as you can!! When I built my deck I used a pry bar and pried the boards as close together as I could and there is a 1/4 inch gap in some places. A good friend of mine built his deck and he used a 16d nail between each board and there is a 3/4 inch gap between some of the boards. He told me that he is going to unscrew all of the boards and pry them together and put another board in it to take up the gaps. There is that much lost space in there!

ArkansasLawns
01-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Bulldog, there should be screw or bolt holding the boards in place. At least that is the way mine is set up. That way you can move the boards forwards or backwards until the they fit the space. Remember to screw them down again or they could work loose.

E-Z Green
01-29-2006, 11:43 AM
great thread Greenies! This project is on my list too. Aslo, i need to repair th e fraim on my trailer where the soldering has broken loose, <this site is like going to college for free>
$$$thanks for sharirng your expertise