PDA

View Full Version : Fast, quality cut, Simplicity, Woods, Derby, ?

michmower
04-10-2001, 03:14 PM
I have 1 1/2 acres to mow and live where I need to cut once every 3 days and sometimes every other day. I have been upgrading to a larger tractor and deck combination over the past few years. I currently have an 18hp, 50 inch deck Simplicity. I like the cut and the stripes. It currently takes about 50 minutes and I am looking to reduce this as much as possible. I am looking at the Simplicity Legacy 25 hp, 60 inch deck plus a couple of 54 or 60 inch midmounts. Suggestions?

Catcher
04-10-2001, 04:49 PM
Just having been in a similar boat I can attest to the speed of a mid or front-mount.
I have many trees, boulders and other obstacles on about a 2 acre mowing area. I was using a tractor before (pinch-off brand) and it was a big pain, left a lot for the push mower to do as well. If you are looking to speed up your mowing time this is the way to go, however - many people like to use their tractors for misc. other chores around the yard; something that a 'mowing machine' is just not designed to do and henceforth not as efficient at as a tractor would be.
I opted for a front-mounted mower, shaving time and exercise (push mowing hills and under swingsets/ bushes & fencerows) while keeping an old Bolens around to help me with snowblowing, tilling etc.
Good luck

michmower
04-10-2001, 05:19 PM
I will only use it for mowing and dealers have been suggesting the midmounts or zero turns, etc. for that reason. Another concern is garage storage which is why I don't think a front end mower would work for me. Cather what did you wind up buying?
Thanks for your help.

racerdave
04-10-2001, 05:33 PM
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. my neighborhood consists of 10 acre tracts. When I looked at how the neighbors spent their entire weekend on their crapsmans and little JD's, I knew I wanted something else. I eventually purchased an out front ZTR. 74" cut = 3 1/2 acres per hour with this model. So now I'm out knocking golf balls around while my neighbors are still knocking down their grass.

Also on most out front mowers, the deck flips up and allows as tight a storage area as a midmount. dave

Catcher
04-11-2001, 12:26 AM
I ended up with a Grasshopper 618, Woods is very similar.
Like racerdave mentioned, the deck flips up in 10 seconds and you can service it (instead of crawling on all fours trying to get to the blades), and it saves about 28" in length. With the deck up it's no longer than my 18hp tractor used to be.
Could kick myself, bought mine brandnew and I've just seen a 725 with collector for the same money, 300hrs. :-(
Check the Michigan Free Auto/ Truck Trader, they always have some used units in there.

Catcher
04-11-2001, 12:49 AM
Oh, and I forgot it twice now, the quality of cut is much better than with a tractor.

michmower
04-11-2001, 09:29 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you see the used 725? I'm assuming it's a Grasshopper. Thanks for all the comments and especially the one about the cut, that is the main reason I have been reluctant to change. I am always seeing the pros cut fast and possibly not as often and leave lots of clippings, etc. so I assumed the cut would not be as good. Maybe a bad assumption.

Catcher
04-12-2001, 08:25 AM
I've seen the ad in a magazine found in gas-stations/ partystores. It is a car/ truck/ equipment trader and it's free. The ad was in their latest publication (April 10)
I forgot the name of the mag, it's something like 'Free Michigan Trader' or 'Michigan Auto Trader'.

With the old tractor I had a big problem of leaving rows of grass where the lawn would grow thicker, every time I'd mow there were clumps of grass and in severe cases whole rows of grass all over the lawn. The deck design alone will help prevent a lot of this as the individual bl;ades are 'chambered' off to force the grass to be re-cut more often and also to improve the discharge of the clippings, forcing them into the next chamber etc.
I am also trying out some new blades this year, called 'Gators' they look a lot like mulching blades but where the high back usually goes across straight, these have serations across the back - much like a heavy duty saw-blade.
Haven't had a chance to try them yet, the dealer promised me that picking up leaves will be a thing of the past as well with these.....

[Edited by Catcher on 04-12-2001 at 07:43 AM]