PDA

View Full Version : 17 horse dixies

stebo
04-10-2001, 02:51 PM
Just bought a new place in east Texas and will be mowing 5 acres with lots of live oak trees and the leaves that go with them. My local dixie/exmark dealer has recommended that I buy the entry level dixie (x1701-50"). I'm wondering if the 17 h/p can handle the double blade setup for mulching leaves. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eric ELM
04-10-2001, 06:23 PM
I do know that the 20 HP Kohler handles mulching leaves on a 60" deck. I had two different 60" Choppers with 20 hp Magnum engines and I always used double blades on them. I realize that you have 3 less hp, but you also have 10" less of cut. I think you would be OK with that setup. You will have so much fun with that mower, you will want to be out there every day to chop leaves. From what I've been told, the decks on the Estates do a fine job of striping also. Please email me when you get it. I would like to find out more about how you like it. If you have AOL chat, send me an Instant Message. ERICatELM is my SN.

John DiMartino
04-10-2001, 06:27 PM
If you can afford it,buy the 60-it has the 19hp,which is enough for doubles.I ran doubles with my 20 hp kohler mag,it did fine and it was tired,the 17hp Kawi should be enough.