PDA

View Full Version : What is there not to like about a 4 in 1?

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Just a few pic's of the 4 in 1 in action. People often seem to ask questions about them. The No 1 must have for a skid. JMHO.

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 07:23 AM
A little more weight than Mr Cat recommends probably

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 07:24 AM
And one for the tree huggers

MarcusLndscp
01-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Why the street slicks for tires Squizzy? Just curious

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Why the street slicks for tires Squizzy? Just curious

Sand old son..Sand..everywhere...the whole state is made of it!

MarcusLndscp
01-27-2006, 08:10 AM
So the benefits of the less aggressive tire are.........

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 08:18 AM
So the benefits of the less aggressive tire are.........

You pad down and don't dig a grave for yourself....go have a look at what a dune buggy is running....well thats the theory anyway.....but...it could be that these tyres were really cheap too!payup

MarcusLndscp
01-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I see I see. I'm not sure if I'll be seeing a dune buggy anytime in the near future but I get the point. We actually use to put studded snow tires on our skids in the winter because we were never running them on flat ground. A standard winter tire had much better traction than an aggressive skid tire.

Gravel Rat
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
A 4 in 1 is a must for a backhoe too it does take some skill to use it at the start as with a backhoe you really can't see much over the hood.

When I was running hoe I used the 4 in 1 alot of picking up rocks etc when I was loading old appliances into dumpsters the 4 in 1 worked good.

A 4 in 1 bucket is like having a hydraulic thumb on a excavator it should be standard equipment.

Scag48
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't know how we could get by without a 4 in 1. We opted for ours within a week of buying the machine, definately a must have.

janb
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
pulling fence posts !! That's something I like, + picking stuff up and moving around. The skids are so tough to get in and out of (with bucket in various heights) 4:1 is pretty important.

regarding what's wrong... Less capacity and heavier (+ expensive + maint), but... gotta have it

Tigerotor77W
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
How heavy is that rock?

Squizzy246B
01-27-2006, 05:19 PM
How heavy is that rock?

Xing, it would be over the ROC with the 4 in 1 for sure. You have to be careful with the 246, it will just keep on lifting.

gammon landscaping
01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
the only experiance i have had with a 4 in 1 was on an old cat front end loader and it had been uesed for a lot of clearing and they had warped it picking up stumps so when you tryed to move sandy soil or graded rock it just spilled through the crack and you would loose a lot of material with it

Squizzy246B
01-28-2006, 11:15 PM
the only experiance i have had with a 4 in 1 was on an old cat front end loader and it had been uesed for a lot of clearing and they had warped it picking up stumps so when you tryed to move sandy soil or graded rock it just spilled through the crack and you would loose a lot of material with it

GL, I looked into the buckling business quite a bit before I got mine as I had seen a few that were well bowed. I think that a 4 in 1 is probably not going to last as long as a well built GP, thats a given and something you have to factor in - more moving parts and less solid structure.

Also I found most of the ones that had cracked were aftermarket jobs. The newer ones from Cat (less than 5 years) had a good rep for not buckling so thats the way I went. I'm not sure how the ones wider than my 66" would go.

Whilst the 4 in 1 is just so handy for picking things up It most speeds my work when metering out sand or roadbase to bring up final levels. Also loading high sided trucks which we do a lot. Just run in, open the bucket and back out, no shaking and tipping messing around at the side of the truck.

Scag48
01-29-2006, 03:36 AM
That's my favorite part about the 4 in 1, if you've got a load way up there there's no tipping the bucket and all that BS. Plus, it puts the load more to the center.

Squizzy246B
01-29-2006, 06:45 AM
That's my favorite part about the 4 in 1, if you've got a load way up there there's no tipping the bucket and all that BS. Plus, it puts the load more to the center.

You can say that again brother. I don't think guys that haven't use one really understand how fast and easy it is. I was trying to explain this to some of our competition oneday over a few :drinkup: I bet the guy I could load his 6 wheeler (13yd ) in under 10 minutes. He said if I did he'd haul it for free. It was a good firm site with a stockpile I'd made with the excavator and it took me just over 9 minutes. Thats about 30 sec a bucket although he wasn't really aware that with the hungry board I get over 1/2 a yard per bucket:p . He was still grumbling as he took off down the road in his full truck. Saved me $55...:) . In normal jobs I load a 6 wheeler in about 15-18 minutes depending on how high sided the truck is.

UNISCAPER
01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
We run paddles in the buggy, but then we run 850 HP and it relies on wheel torque to dig it's way up and over the loose sand. In a slow speed application,
Squizzy has the right idea because if you had too agressive of a tire, you would bury the machine every where you went.

coopers
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
How well do those tires do? Seem more like street tires...

Blake
WA

Squizzy246B
02-05-2006, 01:05 AM
A lot of people without experience in loose sand seem unable to grasp why we run sand tyres. They are DEFINETLY not street tyres being 8 ply cross plies. Have a read of the posts above. Here we mostly run non-aggressive treads, and many do run radial RV tyres but they wear out in about 250 hours not being a tyre designed for skids.

We have a new 10 ply all purpose tyre (Jack of all trades) coming soon that is 12.5 x 16.5 and very straight walled. We hope to give them a try in sand soon. But remember, when we say sand we mean there is 20-40 foot of the stuff in most areas before you hit clay or rock...save for where the limestone comes up to the surface. In our sand you go off the ramps and up to the belly plate very quickly. Aggressive/lug tyres just rip the place up and acheiveing a decent grade on a house pad prep is almost impossible.

gravtyklz
02-05-2006, 01:26 AM
would tracks be better for the sand?

Squizzy246B
02-05-2006, 03:23 AM
would tracks be better for the sand?

Have a look at this thread and in particular my last post.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=131710&page=2

Itsgottobegreen
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Yea a 4n1 is on my list of toys I need for my bobcat 4n1. But its after the 709 backhoe, then the mclaren Protrac Rubber tracks, then the 4n1 bucket.

Its a must have tool.