PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Decking for Trailer

RRHAMMONS
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Anyone know where you can purchase t & g extruded aluminum decking for utility trailer?

mason dude
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Many years ago (96) I redecked a trailer with aluminum. The price was outrageously high. You can get the extruded from metal supermarkets, they have a website I'm sure, but what I ended up doing was buying an old pontoon boat for $300, no motor or controls, the seats were trash, it was probably a 70's something model but the floor was 7 feet wide by 24 ft long and I had plenty to work with. I went through a ton of sawzall blades but at the end of the winter I had an aluminum floor on my trailer. traderonline.com probably has some of these "scrap" boats. just an idea

lawnmaniac883
01-27-2006, 08:45 PM
If you are planning on welding the stuff on, good luck! Alunimum is apparently a PITA to weld if you have never done it before.

mason dude
01-28-2006, 09:49 AM
yeah I agree, my trailer frame was steel with steel crossmembers and I bolted the one piece aluminum deck to it using nylock nuts on the bolts,

Scag48
01-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I would hate an aluminum floor, way too slippery. Plus the hassles of welding it to steel.

tcls83
01-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I would hate an aluminum floor, way too slippery. Plus the hassles of welding it to steel.

I agree.

Maybe if you want to not make it slippery though, put down that sandpaper-like grip tape on the aluminum floor similar to what they use on painted stairways.

Scag48
01-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I've heard of guys Rhino-lining their trailer floors and with an aluminum bed, I'm sure that's a viable option as well. Not really my cup of tea though, I'll stick with treated lumber.

mason dude
01-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I wouldnt do it again just because it is way too much work, but just to clear up a couple of concerns mentioned here, the floor wasnt slippery at all, it had little raised grooves the full length, (look under your neighbors pontoon boat) and it sprayed and shoveled off easily and you just simply BOLT the aluminum to the steel crossmembers as you would lumber. Too many mentions here about not being able to weld aluminum to steel, hey you cant weld wood to steel either. Now having said all that, another reason I wouldnt do it again is the steel frame eventually rusted through and left a nice- one piece- floor with nowhere to hang axles:)