PDA

View Full Version : how to clean/paint trailer open trailer

grass disaster
01-27-2006, 11:15 PM
i started a new project.

decided to replace floor on trailer

i got all the boards off now i need to clean up the steel a little bit.

should i sand blast the trailer?

the paint is all chipped and has surface rust. the trailer is only about 8-9 yrs old so it's not in that bad of shape.

then how do i paint it?

i do have access to a spray gun. is that the best way or could i just get some spray(can) paint.

lawnmaniac883
01-28-2006, 10:43 AM
If you have access to a sandblaster, that will be the easiest, most efficient way to clean it up. Then, once the surface is wiped clean with dry rag, you need to use a sprayer and shoot the paint on. No spray paint, it will not last.

Soupy
01-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I painted mine a few years ago with a roller and it held up really well. I used Rust-Oleum paint. I did use a couple of spray cans to do tight areas, wheels fenders, and the gate. But for the angle iron a small roller works good.

tcls83
01-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I painted mine a few years ago with a roller and it held up really well. I used Rust-Oleum paint. I did use a couple of spray cans to do tight areas, wheels fenders, and the gate. But for the angle iron a small roller works good.

I pretty much did the same thing. I also put colored wood preserving deck stain on to make the wood last longer. It makes the wood look better also in my opinion.