PDA

View Full Version : Proper Way For Us Little People to Prep a Lawn

cwlawley
01-28-2006, 02:09 AM
I have searched a number of threads on this site for information on new lawn and lawn renovations preparation. Most of the information of course seems to be for the big dogs since there is always mention of tractors, harley rakes, etc.

My question is...I know it is a lot more work without this machinery...but how do little businesses that don't have tractors, harley rakes and such get lawns prep-ed for new seeding or lawn renovation?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

YardPro
01-28-2006, 07:33 AM
there's there other little old store called the rental store...
you go in and give the man some money and he let's you borrow the proper equipment to do the job right....
LOL

unless the ard is REALLY little... get the equipment.. it is much cheaper to use a tractor than a shovel and wheelbarrel

Green-Pro
01-28-2006, 09:11 AM
or sub it out to a guy that does have the right equipment.

o it grew landscaping
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
when we do installs, we rotortill the grass up, then rake all the grass out of the dirt, go over the property many times with the tiller, level out the dirt with landscaping rakes. after that we put water on the dirt to seek out high and low spots, when its completely level, we lay the sod or seed it.

o it grew landscaping
01-28-2006, 04:17 PM
we did an 8,000 sq ft. sod job in three days, that includes putting in the irrigation. just with a 13 hp rotortiller and a trencher i rented for 3 hours.

cwlawley
01-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the replys. What type of rototiller do you use? How many times did you go over the lawn before final grade?

turfcobob
01-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Aerate

Dethatch

Slit seed

Care for the seeding

NIXRAY
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
IT ALL DEPANDS ON THE SIZE OF THE YARD AND IF IT HAS A GATE OR ANY OTHER STRUCTES, I TYPICALLY (FOR THE REAL SMALL ONES) USE A ROTO-TILLER THEN POWER "BROOM" (aka RAKE) THE GRASS OUT IT DOES A REAL GOOD JOB

steve in Pa.
01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
if the topsoil is already spread and ready, we used to use a couple of dethachers, rake, run the thatchers over again, rake. It was very hard work. I much rather sit in the skidloader with the rock hound picking out the rocks preping the soil. Ahhhhhh the good old days of using the dethatchers :drinkup: :drinkup: :cry: