PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price?

PLS-Tx
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Haulmark 8.5x20 enclosed trailer,

rear ramp
rubber torsion axles
48" side door with flush lock and bar lock
3/4 kickplate
ATP along wheel wells
2-fuel doors
2-side vents
1-roof vent
2-dome lights
stoneguard
D-rings

7k plus tax

mattfromNY
01-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Is it steel or aluminum? If aluminum, it sounds like a real good price. If steel trailer, probably about fair. The price of steel and aluminum have gone through the roof lately, often now, if you can get a "leftover" ( a 2004 or 2005 trailer), you can get it cheaper than a "new" one, because of the surcharges pushing up steel prices as of lately.

paponte
01-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Thatsw about the going rate. $7k and change. :)

Eclipse
01-29-2006, 12:21 AM
If the constrution is 24" on center with a 7,000 GVW that is a terrible price.

What is the spacing of the crossmembers and what size axles? If 16" O/C all the way around and 10,400 GVW that is a decent price. If 16" O/C and 7,000GVW I don't think the price is all that great.

PLS-Tx
01-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Yes, it is aluminum, as far as being 16" on center, I was told that it was, but when I looked at it closer I think its 16" on the roof and the floor, and 24" on the walls, I am going to try and find out Monday.

As far as the GVW, it's supposed to be 10,000, I'll try to find this out for sure on Monday also.

Eclipse
01-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Aluminum sides only right? The overall construction of the trailer is steel? I don't think Haulmark makes an all aluminum trailer.

As I said if it is 16" OC floor and walls (he roof is not that big of a deal if it is 16" OC or not), and it has 5,200lb axles I don't think you are doing too bad for $7,000.

PLS-Tx
01-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Aluminum sides only right? The overall construction of the trailer is steel? I don't think Haulmark makes an all aluminum trailer.

As I said if it is 16" OC floor and walls (he roof is not that big of a deal if it is 16" OC or not), and it has 5,200lb axles I don't think you are doing too bad for $7,000.

Yes, it's aluminum sides only.

Don't you have a Haulmark, is your floor and walls 16" OC?

What model Haulmark do you have?

Eclipse
01-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I had a Haulmark. I sold it last week.

The floor was 16" OC, the 24" OC floor feels spongy especially with equipment running over it. Mine did have a 24" OC walls and roof. If you plan on keeping it for a while the 16" OC walls are the way to go because it add to the strength and structureability of the trailer.

PLS-Tx
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
O.k. thanks, 24" on the floor does not sound like it would be good at all.

Like I said in another post, I know it has 16" OC floor and roof, but I'm not sure about the walls. I'm planning to find out for sure about the walls Monday.

Thanks

Eclipse
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
O.k. thanks, 24" on the floor does not sound like it would be good at all.

Like I said in another post, I know it has 16" OC floor and roof, but I'm not sure about the walls. I'm planning to find out for sure about the walls Monday.

Thanks

I'b be willing to bet if it had 16" OC roof the wall are also 16" OC.

PLS-Tx
01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
I'b be willing to bet if it had 16" OC roof the wall are also 16" OC.

That does make since. The dealer said that everything was 16" OC, but the Literature I was looking at was not clear on that.

Thanks

Eclipse
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Haulmark 8.5x20 enclosed trailer,

rear ramp
rubber torsion axles
48" side door with flush lock and bar lock
3/4 kickplate
ATP along wheel wells
2-fuel doors
2-side vents
1-roof vent
2-dome lights
stoneguard
D-rings

7k plus tax

I called the local Haulmark dealer today and priced a trailer similar to the one you have listed above.

8.5x20 Haulmark Thrifty Hauler with Thrifty Hauler Package
Rear Ramp with Beavertail
16" OC Floor, Roof and 24" OC Walls (I think this is sort of odd)
7,000GVW Torsion Axles
1 Piece Roof
4' Side Door
Chrome Front Corners and rear around ramp door
1/4" White Walls (I don't remember the material)
3/4" Treated Plywood Floor
Undercoated
Stone Guard
2 Interior Lights with wall switch
4 - D Rings

I do not not write down if that included vents but I assume it comes with at least one roof vent.

The best I can tell the only difference between this trailer and the one you were quoted is the 3/4" kickplate.

This trailer was quoted at $5577 + TTL. I could save $185 if I picked it up myself in Bristol, Indiana

lawnmaniac883
01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey Eclipse, was just poking around on Haulmarks site, they look to be built pretty well, on a scale of 1-10, where do you place them? Thanks

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
What I found out today was the newer Haulmark's are 16" OC, walls, floor, and roof. I went to the local Haulmark dealer and looked at one just to make sure. The white walls and ceiling, I found out were vinyl.

Eclipse, sounds like you got a good price at $5577 + TTL.

The price I was quoted was $6300 + TTL, for the trailer as it sits.

The reason I said 7k, is because if I get this trailer the dealer is going to add some options to it for me.

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Eclipse, was just poking around on Haulmarks site, they look to be built pretty well, on a scale of 1-10, where do you place them? Thanks

They look very well built to me also, I've only looked at Haulmark, Pace, and Wells Cargo, and I don't see much difference between Haulmark and Pace. Wells Cargo from what I'm told has a heavier frame, but for what I'll be doing with this trailer I can't see spending the extra $ on a WC.

I did get a quote on a Atlas also, they look very well built and very well priced. Bad thing is, no dealers in Tx. and I'm not going to drive 1200 miles one way to pick up a trailer. If they sold them here I just might be getting an Atlas.

Just my .02

Eclipse
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
What I found out today was the newer Haulmark's are 16" OC, walls, floor, and roof. I went to the local Haulmark dealer and looked at one just to make sure. The white walls and ceiling, I found out were vinyl.

Eclipse, sounds like you got a good price at $5577 + TTL.

The price I was quoted was $6300 + TTL, for the trailer as it sits.

The reason I said 7k, is because if I get this trailer the dealer is going to add some options to it for me.

The salesman said they are 16" OC all the way around but the Haulmark website said 24" OC walls. I will check too.

They have a brand new "scratch and dent" 8.5x20 I am going to look at. I guess it has a 12" long scratch above one of the fenders, and the fender needed to be replaced but they took care of that already. They will knock $400 of this trailer making it $5177. There is two problems though even though I like the price. I really don't want black because I think it will be too hot, and I am leaning toward a 22' over a 20'.

Eclipse
01-30-2006, 09:54 PM

I think Haulmark makes a good trailer. They do make some cheaper models that I personally would stay away from but other than that I think they are well built.

You need to be careful when shopping for a Haulmark though. Some dealers try to get a little too much money for them because they think the Haulmark names can demand a higher price. I thought this was true when I last shopped for trailers but for some reason when I priced Haulmark today they were in line with the other brands I have priced.

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
The salesman said they are 16" OC all the way around but the Haulmark website said 24" OC walls. I will check too.

They have a brand new "scratch and dent" 8.5x20 I am going to look at. I guess it has a 12" long scratch above one of the fenders, and the fender needed to be replaced but they took care of that already. They will knock $400 of this trailer making it $5177. There is two problems though even though I like the price. I really don't want black because I think it will be too hot, and I am leaning toward a 22' over a 20'.

That is a great price, but I don't blame you for not wanting a black trailer. I want a white trailer because of the heat, and also because my truck is white.

22' would be nice, the dealer let me pull a 24' Saturday, and boy was it nice. I just don't think I want to pull that much trailer into some of the small areas I work in.

Hey, just curious, what size was the Haulmark that you sold?

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Your right about some dealers pricing them higher. The trailer I'm looking at for $6300 is about 60-70 miles away. There is a Haulmark dealer about 5 minutes from my house, and he wants over 7k + TTL, for the same trailer.

Eclipse
01-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey, just curious, what size was the Haulmark that you sold?

8x18 - The main reason I sold it is that I could not fit 3 walk behind mower in it (2 - 60" Turf Tracers and 1 - 48" Turf Tracers) without really trying hard to squeeze them in there.

I don't think 20' is going to work by the time I get all my other things in there, WB Blower, WB Edger, Tools, Trac Vac, ect..... and I'm thinking about trying to cram a 36" WB in there too. Granted I do not need everything I own every day I am out but there will be days when I do need everything so I need to be able to fit it all. I guess I need a 22' :)

PLS-Tx
01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't think 20' is going to work by the time I get all my other things in there, WB Blower, WB Edger, Tools, Trac Vac, ect..... and I'm thinking about trying to cram a 36" WB in there too. Granted I do not need everything I own every day I am out but there will be days when I do need everything so I need to be able to fit it all. I guess I need a 22' :)

I like to carry everything also, some days I'm not really awake until I've done 1-2 lawns, :p so I don't want to figure out want I'm going to need every morning before I leave.

I have a 60" and a 72" ztr, and the trimmers, eders, pole saw, hedge clippers, will go on the trimmer trap, back pack blowers either on the floor or a trimmer trap rack. I'm thinking a 20' will work, if I wasn't concerned about small areas, I would get the 24' because you just never know.

lawnmaniac883
01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks you 2, might be looking to buy a enclosed trailer soon, this is some good info.

Eclipse
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I went to the Haulmark dealer today and was quoted and even better price in person after a little wheelin' and dealin' :)

Right now I am primarily considering Haulmark and Royal Cargo. I am also looking at Interstate and Haulin. I don't think the Haulin is the same quailty trailers as the others, but it is still of acceptable quality and is about $800 less for a identically equipped trailer.

My dilema now is that the Haulmark weighs about 3,700lbs in a 22'. This gives me a 3,300 payload. This would be tight with all the stuff I plan on stuffing into it. I think it will be ok for my equipment, but it would not haul much of a car if I ever chose to Haul a car around. I'm not sure that the extra $765 to go to a 10,000 GVW trailer would be worth it though????

TAC, you should drive up to Indiana to pick up your trailer. I bet we could get an even better price :)

PLS-Tx
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Drive to Indiana, thats about 1200 miles one way. :eek:

Are you going to buy your trailer off the lot or order it? I've never heard of Royal Cargo, no dealers around here.

I'm trying to decide between aHaulmark Trifty Hauler, and a Pace Cargosport. I might get the Pace because I think it will fit under my carport without having to raise it.

Eclipse
02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Are you going to buy your trailer off the lot or order it? I've never heard of Royal Cargo, no dealers around here.

I'll have to order it no matter which one I end up with. Nobody seems to have many on the lot.

PLS-Tx
02-01-2006, 12:39 AM
I'll have to order it no matter which one I end up with. Nobody seems to have many on the lot.

Looks like I'll order mine also.

Hope you get a good deal.

MacLawnCo
02-02-2006, 01:11 AM
eclipse, Id check on the price for heavier axles. It was only about $400 to upgrade mine to 10k...but these are the leaf springs. That may be the difference. Either way, it will be worth your while to upgrade. Id rather be over built than underequiped.