PDA

View Full Version : Dormant Seeding?

bobbygedd
01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
tell me, oh wise ones.....we had this discussion about "dormant seeding" a while back. now, we've had below freezing temps, followed by mid 50's temps, followed by below freezing temps, to snow, sleet, and followed again by mid 50's weather. how do you think the "dormant seeding" is going? i think i'll just seed in fall, as usual, you know, THE RIGHT WAY. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Runner
01-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I'll let you know in the spring when it germinates.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-29-2006, 12:28 PM
bobby what happend to your test plot u did?
still mud or got grass?

bobbygedd
01-29-2006, 12:33 PM
bobby what happend to your test plot u did?
still mud or got grass?
nope. i had nothing, then some thin, sparse growth (like the top of my head) then it froze and withered.

Runner
01-29-2006, 02:34 PM
That is not dormant seeding. That is just throwing seed down at the wrong time.

rodfather
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I am glad I didn't do any this year.

Late November and all of December was colder than January has been. Most of January in NJ has been in the 50's and 60's. Last weekend alone it was 63 both Saturday and Sunday, yesterday it was 60. So any dormant overseeding you might have done in my neck of the woods would have been ok in November and December, but probably would show sighs of germination in January (of all months).

Now February it will get cold again (forecasted) and that will kill the dormant seeding idea IMO for springtime results.

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
nope. i had nothing, then some thin, sparse growth (like the top of my head) then it froze and withered.

You gotta wait until dead of winter to "dormant seed" Bobby.

You can't put out the seed with your winterizer apps and expect success. If you do it that way mother nature will get part of it. Indian Summer will come, it will pop out, then get frostbit and you'll have less in the spring.

Those of us who live in areas where there is no real solid real winter either have to be smarter with our timing or apply a little extra in expectation of some loss.

But yes, fall is the preferred time to overseed. No question about that. It's just not always the better option. Sometimes our schedules or the weather don't permit. Weather was an issue for me Fall '05 and I did NO overseeding on non-irrigated sites. So some of them were put on a list for dormant seeding. I haven't done it yet. Don't even have plans for it yet.

olderthandirt
01-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I am glad I didn't do any this year.

Late November and all of December was colder than January has been. Most of January in NJ has been in the 50's and 60's. Last weekend alone it was 63 both Saturday and Sunday, yesterday it was 60. So any dormant overseeding you might have done in my neck of the woods would have been ok in November and December, but probably would show sighs of germination in January (of all months).

Now February it will get cold again (forecasted) and that will kill the dormant seeding idea IMO for springtime results.

Ground temps are still to cold for germination, I've planted in April with the germination starting in end of may because of the ground temps being to cold.

Doug Z.
01-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I was going to do some dormant seeding here, but thought better of it. WI winters lately have been terrible, we always seem to have a thaw in jan/ feb. This year, there is no doubt that the seed would have rotted by now..

bobbygedd
01-29-2006, 07:39 PM
That is not dormant seeding. That is just throwing seed down at the wrong time.
how so? december is TOO EARLY for "dormant seeding?"

Envy Lawn Service
01-29-2006, 08:59 PM
how so? december is TOO EARLY for "dormant seeding?"

Yes Bobby, December is too early in your climate... obviously, I mean it germinated right?

Between leaves and Christmas shopping, who the heck has time for dormant seeding jobs in December anyways???

turfsurfer
01-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes, December is too early to dormant seed. Not even counting the fact that this is the warmest winter on record, you still have to use common sense when you do ANY project. That means keep an eye on the weather (not just throwing seed on the ground and setting yourself up to fail so you could say "told you so"). I have not done my dormant seeding yet this winter. Even during a normal winter, I would not dormant seed until later in February, right before we start getting into a good freeze/thaw cycle but still nice winter temps. If this winter doesn't return to cold temps, I just won't do the dormant seed and instead will seed in Spring. In that case nothing is lost since 1). the seed still gets in the ground 2). All that I planned to seed is what I didn't have time to finish last Fall during the agreed upon "best" seeding season. 3) All my dormant seed jobs were minor repair in nature or just intended to help fill in the edges before slit seeding the rest of the yard in Spring. So Bobby, there's your update. Sounds like alot of guys dissapointed you by using their brainpans and adjusting for weather.

muddstopper
02-01-2006, 07:13 PM
The weather didnot permit any seeding in december for me. I planted thanksgiving week and that is doing rather fine right now. I have also seeded about 5 or 6 acres since Jan 1 and except for what I planted last week, all of it is up and doing well also. Except for the freezing temps in dec, it has been a fairly mild winter for me. Last year I also stopped seeding after thanksgiving and started back Jan 1. Had good stands then as well. Its all a matter of knowing what your doing.