PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of a trailer with wooden sides

drsogr
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I am looking for some pics of trailers with wooden sides. I am wanting to put sides on at least the front half. So that if I am carrying plants or trees it will help block out the wind. Or if I am carrying mulch or rock, it will stay on the trailer.

Thanks,
Derek

Premo Services
01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
No pics yet, but am in the process of putting sides on my 16 ft trailer for the same reasons as you.
I will be using 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, about 18-24 inches high and painting them black to be same color as the trailer. I also have a thick tarp and will cut it the size of my trailer and attach it at the front and strap to sides to cover mulch, etc and keep it from blowing out.

Premo Services
01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
No pics yet, but am in the process of putting sides on my 16 ft trailer for the same reasons as you.
I will be using 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, about 18-24 inches high and painting them black to be same color as the trailer. I also have a thick tarp and will cut it the size of my trailer and attach it at the front to cover mulch, etc and keep it from blowing out.
I seen one like this and it did not look too bad, also I can put co name and number on the sides also.

drsogr
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought about plywood. But I was looking for something a little bit more attractive. Like treated lumber or something. I am just worried about weight and the such. I am wanting to go 3-4 ft. high. I would like to see what yours looks like when you are done.

stevesmowing
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I have plywood that is 2 feet tall and its fine. I have add-on pieces that make the front half of the trailer 4 foot sides for when i do leaves. The mower goes on the back and the leaves go on the front. 4' is kinda weak with plywood. If i were to do it over again I would use pressure treated lumber. Do you have trimmer or blower racks? Sides might affect being able to use those, or you might have to switch to the enclosed trailer style rack.

Roger
01-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Steves ... You said your trailer is configured differently for leaves, making a 4 ft "bin" on the front part of the trailer. Am I right about that? What are the dimensions of your bin along the length of the trailer (assuming full width, and the 4 ft high you mentioned).

My question: How do you unload the debris from the bin?

I have a 6.5X12 single axle trailer. I have a bin on the first 4 ft of the trailer (back to the second standard for the rail). My mowers go on the rear 8 ft of the trailer. I think that is how you work too, right? With your trailer being longer (16 ft?), you have more length to work with. My bin is not 4 ft high, only about 32 inches. I dump grass clippings in there, and some leaves in the Fall. I used an open 5X10 for larger leaf removal jobs. But, the unloading is a challenge. A couple of years ago, I did have a 4 ft high bin (4 ft long, 6.5 ft wide, 4 ft high). I had to take off one side each time to unload, and then fight getting the debris over/through the rail. Unbolting the one panel was time-consuming, but having the hauling capability saved time to return with a debris trailer.

I pull my trailer with an F250, with a cap on the back. I have a second shelf under the cap, and I keep all my hand tools and other supplies under the cap (weatherproof and more secure). So, I don't want to use the pickup bed for debris hauling.

drsogr
01-29-2006, 10:00 PM
I have plywood that is 2 feet tall and its fine. I have add-on pieces that make the front half of the trailer 4 foot sides for when i do leaves. The mower goes on the back and the leaves go on the front. 4' is kinda weak with plywood. If i were to do it over again I would use pressure treated lumber. Do you have trimmer or blower racks? Sides might affect being able to use those, or you might have to switch to the enclosed trailer style rack.

I do completely landscaping. So I have no trimmer or blower racks. The plywood looks ok, but I think pressure treated would look a lot better. I like the way you hooked all of that together. I currently have a 5 x 10. But I am looking at buying a 16' and was thinking of something along the lines of a car trailer (without sides) thinking it might be easier to build the sides.

lawnmaniac883
01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Howabout diamondplate? :cool:

drsogr
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
That would look nice! I am sure the price is going to put the skids that idea.

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I have 6*12 with decking board all around my trailer about 4 foot high. This is how mine came and it works so nice I can put 7-9 yds of mulch and still have room.The previous owner welded angle up the sides and attached the boards.This is nice also because it keeps people out of it!!!I will take pics tomorrow.Also I just did alot of improvements also!!

kppurn
01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
You can see most of my trailer in this photo. The sides come in handy when hauling mulch.

drsogr
01-30-2006, 01:32 AM
You can see most of my trailer in this photo. The sides come in handy when hauling mulch.

That doesn't look bad...but its still plywood! I want mine to be at least 3 ft. and something besides plywood.

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 01:33 AM
lets see if this works (first time):confused: If they turn out hope this helps any questions just ask!!

work_it
01-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Holy smokes Fivestarlawnken, that's a lot of weight to add to a trailer. You better put better brakes on your truck. drsogr, I know you don't really like the look of plywood, but it's a lot lighter than adding solid wood planks and you can always paint it to match your truck or trailer.

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 02:18 AM
work it...yeah I know it adds a little weight but there are brakes on the trailer which are a lifesaver!!Also I have two fords that have no problem pulling the trailer!!:) The boards are decking boards, not sure how much they weigh but too add to the weight I put in a new floor with 2*treated.Those are a little heavy!

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 02:29 AM
:drinkup: here are a few more pics of sides and new floor:drinkup: :drinkup: look closley to the floor pic:drinkup:

drsogr
01-30-2006, 02:41 AM
:drinkup: here are a few more pics of sides and new floor:drinkup: :drinkup: look closley to the floor pic:drinkup:

Thanks for sharing the pics. That is very similar to what I want to do. I am thinking I am only going 3 ft. high. Yours looks like at least 4 ft high. I am getting closterphobic just looking at it! It does look like it would add a lot of weight. But is it really that much more weight? Plywood is 3/4", the planks look like an 1 to and 1-1/4". I was thinking about just doing the front end.

stevesmowing
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Steves ... You said your trailer is configured differently for leaves, making a 4 ft "bin" on the front part of the trailer. Am I right about that? What are the dimensions of your bin along the length of the trailer (assuming full width, and the 4 ft high you mentioned).

My question: How do you unload the debris from the bin?

I have a 6.5X12 single axle trailer. I have a bin on the first 4 ft of the trailer (back to the second standard for the rail). My mowers go on the rear 8 ft of the trailer. I think that is how you work too, right? With your trailer being longer (16 ft?), you have more length to work with. My bin is not 4 ft high, only about 32 inches. I dump grass clippings in there, and some leaves in the Fall. I used an open 5X10 for larger leaf removal jobs. But, the unloading is a challenge. A couple of years ago, I did have a 4 ft high bin (4 ft long, 6.5 ft wide, 4 ft high). I had to take off one side each time to unload, and then fight getting the debris over/through the rail. Unbolting the one panel was time-consuming, but having the hauling capability saved time to return with a debris trailer.

I pull my trailer with an F250, with a cap on the back. I have a second shelf under the cap, and I keep all my hand tools and other supplies under the cap (weatherproof and more secure). So, I don't want to use the pickup bed for debris hauling.

I put a tarp down and then pull the tarp out with the mower. I also sometimes will stick a old tire or pallet up in the front and lay a rope along the bottom of the trailer then load it up, then put one on the top. I then take these and tie them to something fixed behind the trailer. Get in the truck then and drive away. The biggest problem I find with this is trying to get enough traction with either the ztr or the truck as the truck is 4x2. Needless to say I am looking at buying a 4x4 next and then come this fall a dump trailer. After using a dump trailer once you will want one.