PDA

View Full Version : Led Trailer lights

chuck bow
01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Thinking of putting or replacing stock tail lights with LED lights , How much more are they compared to reg lights ( my trailer has the oval shaped lights with the rubber gasket) and do they last longer than reg tail lights

CLARK LAWN
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
regular lights are about $7.00 LED's are about $25.00 apiece more upfront but they will last for years. just make sure you have a VERY good ground. the LED's dont use alot of power so if the ground is bad they are very dim.

Jason Rose
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
I love the LED's! I don't have any though... On my trailer I'm smacking and breaking the lenses about once a season. LED's are built into the lens so one smack and I'm out 30 bucks :cry:

I like them because there's no bulb socket to short out or corrode and loose contact. Plus they are instant on and off and BRIGHT! :eek: If someone misses seeing them light up they shouldn't be on the road in the first place! :dizzy:

I was going to put them on the back of my new dump bed (4" rounds) but they were $28 each and, well, this is just a work truck. Plus there's usually a trailer on the back that would block those lights anyway.

chuck bow
01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks jason you gave me something to think about , i too break at least one or two light a year somehow so i may have to ponder this longer . Iam like you tho the LED are sure bright and sharp looking .

Scag48
01-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Our dump trailer and tilt bed trailer have LED's, we ordered them both with them. They last forever, they look great and the added visibility over incandescent is incredible. Our dump trailer is white and when the lights are on it lights up like a christmas tree.

Triple L
01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
I got my trailer completely outfitted with led's. Cost about $200.00 total now, I got completly clear lights in the back and when you touch the break on signal switch they turn red. Real slick lookin on a yellow trailer. And then all amber and red 8 diod 2.5" lights around. Not to ofte you can find 8 diod in 2.5". Usually the cheap ones are 1 diod. I love the leds. Parking on a street, pop on the 4ways and if you can't see this trailer you gots a problem. Plus very low energy draw. Ill try to take some pics tomarrow, if I can get some. My trailer is packed away pretty good.

fivestarlawnken
01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Once you go LED you never go back..Check heavy duty truck part dealers they might be alot cheper than you think and hve a good variety!

Roger
01-30-2006, 06:48 AM
I just mounted items 1 and 2 on the list from the link yesterday. At first look, they seemed much brighter on the "stop" light, especially when looking from directly behind the trailer (the only direction that counts!).

The service from this company was great -- put in online order in the morning, got confirmation via e-mail of the order in a couple of hours, and another e-mail near the end of the afternoon providing shipping information. The lights arrived in two days, just as stated.

The pigtails are a bit shorter than on Peterson fixtures previously used. It does have a white ground wire coming from the fixture, with a loop end for putting on the bolt to fasten the fixture. This makes the grounding a more certain than merely running ground through the bolt.

I made the change because I was burning out bulbs too often (6-8 over the season). Several times, I learned I was running without a stop/turn light, and for how long ....?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=282

mason dude
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I love em, Hard to put a price on safety. sometimes I wish I had one flashing on the back of my blower when I am out in the street with earplugs in. Anybody know how to wire this????
buytruckstuff.com has these for around $55 a pair (ovals) the swap out is pretty simple but keep in mind that new led's require the pigtail, no wires hanging from them, so if you are fitting them to an older trailer you have to buy the pigtails separately,5-8 bucks I think. My haulmark factory pigatils worked on the new led's, just check your trailer before ordering

tcls83
01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
If I didn't go through a set of trailer lights every year due to breakage I'd buy them. If I ever decide to get them, I'd have a metal case welded around it to protect them.

BSDeality
01-30-2006, 04:30 PM
put them on my trailer last year. I still have to build a cage for them, but they're bright! I run 4-ways all day long and like someone else said, if you can't see this my trailer you shouldn't be driving.

Next up to swapping my F350 to all LED lights

Scag48
01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
In regards of places to shop, try www.awdirect.com They have excellent prices and I've had good luck shopping with them.

Roger
01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
I made a stop at my local Carquest this afternoon for a few items. While waiting, I wandered over to their trailer light display, and they had LED trailer lights on the wall. They looked identical to what I mounted yesterday. That is the first time I've seen them in a local store. Maybe they are becoming popular enough to warrant stocking in your local shops.

Doug Z.
02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I bought a '88 chevy c70. Im in the process of making it a dump truck. I was given 2 taillights for the truck. So, yesterday, I went to our local Fleet Farm, who pretty much carries anything tool, farm, and auto supply needed. No luck finding the plug ins for the lights. But they did have LED lights, for a trailer, they were around $18.00 each. Went to carquest to find the plug ins, unable to get then there either. Got a price on truck lights, $30ea, Same in LED $100each.
Went to the ford dealership to find the plug. The guy behind the counter kinda laughed, he said that he has a pair of these, for a trailer he was going to build, but then found out the price of the plugs, $32.ooeach. I told him about the led lights a Fleet Farm, and he said that there is no other way to go. He said the difference between, trailer lights and truck lights are that trailer lights are a little smaller, and that they dont have a back up light, but he said you can put that on seperate. Went back and bought them, now its time to hook them up.. Let ya know how that goes..