PDA

View Full Version : HELP need ramp/gate for flatbed pickup

Martee
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I have a flatbed pickup 11' long 6 or 6 1/2' wide. It is too high off the ground (3' 9" off ground). I need to get a 21" mower in and out, since its so high off the ground I need to be able to walk up it myself. (My biggest problem is I am only 5' tall myself)
I have searched high and low on this site to find lots of places to get ramps but unfortunately none of the ramps are long enough, way to steep if not real long but cant be over 11' or I cant put them in the truck.
Have contacted a welder he wants to lower the bed about 4", for $400 or so. But 4" wouldn't make a huge difference would still need some kind of ramp or a gate would be good. Thought about a gate to put on the back that folds up but cant seem to find one that is over 8'
Oh by the way I do have a trailer for a tractor but dont want to pull it for the mower as its 16' long and for 2 mowers a trimmer and a blower thats a little over kill. Besides I dont like to pull it and most places I mow you cant get around with a trailer. ANY IDEAS??????????

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 12:29 AM
would two 4 or 6*10s be too steep with metal bent at the end to hook on the bed be to steep.

Martee
01-30-2006, 12:57 AM
would two 4 or 6*10s be too steep with metal bent at the end to hook on the bed be to steep.

Tried even 2 6x12's cant walk up it by myself let alone with mower in front of me. Needs to be at least 24" wide for it to be safe.

fivestarlawnken
01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
maybe a crazy idea but could work.do you have hitch reciever in the rear of your flatbed?? You could put one of those cargo holders on the back of your truck.?????They are fairly cheap to buy,i just bought one my welding buddy for 20 bucks!

grass_cuttin_fool
01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Check this site out.There has been a few members in the past that have used this. http://www.usaramp.com/ or this link
http://www.usaramp.com/products/saferamps.shtml#trail

wayne

ArkansasLawns
01-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Maybe you can use your 2*'s and pull it up. You would be walking up first. Could you use some type of block and tackle, pully and rope system, to hook on to the mower first and just pull it up that way? Are you thinking functional or a quick fix?
Got any pictures of what you are using now as a ramp?

Doug Z.
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
This whole thing sounds like a back injury waiting to happen. For starters, that 4" that the welder would lower it, may make a huge difference. I like the idea of using one of those cargo racks off the hitch, personally, or make room on the trailer.

Martee
01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
This whole thing sounds like a back injury waiting to happen. For starters, that 4" that the welder would lower it, may make a huge difference. I like the idea of using one of those cargo racks off the hitch, personally, or make room on the trailer.

Yea Doug,
Back injury or worse waiting to happen. I need this to be a permanent thing. I currently work with someone who has a flat bed that is lower than mine and we made a gate that fits across the back and it works cause I can reach everything from the ground or bumper. Again another problem of mine not a bumper on my truck the way they designed the back cant put one on. Its a flat metal plate on the back. Maybe 4" would do me some good, just don't want to pay someone that much money,but think I'm gonna have to.
Taking the trailer is NOT an option. Cant use a trailer at most places I go.
I have thought about a cargo rack for a temp fix but why have a 11' bed thats empty???

Doug Z.
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, but I'd rather have the empty bed than a sore back. I dont think $400 is bad to lower it.

Martee
01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, but I'd rather have the empty bed than a sore back. I don't think $400 is bad to lower it.

I went to another place that does welding yesterday, they said it would be more like $1000 to lower it, I have heard about the guy who told me 400 that while he is doing it he will call and say or I forgot I have to do this and this and this and the price goes up & up. So don't really think he would do it for 400. He doesn't have a good reputation. BUT the guys I talked to yesterday say they can make me a aluminum ramp that shouldn't be to heavy 3'wide x 8-10' long for Approx 350.
As far as question earlier from someone (what am I using now) having to have someone come help me LIFT it in & out.

heather lawn sp
01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Try (2) 1 1/2 wide ramps. Aluminium ramps. Set up the receiver on the back of the truck deck for the whole width.That way you can have 1 3 foot wide ramp or split it for wider 4 wheel equipment. Our deck is 32 inches high with 8 foot ramps. A 47 inch deck with 11 foot ramps is only 4% more grade. We've been using Bobcat/pick-uptruck system since 1994. We can put a skidsteer or a big ZTR up on the deck using this system.
Consider using the 11 foot ramps as the side rakes of the deck. A good place to store them and will contain the load underway.

Martee
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Try (2) 1 1/2 wide ramps. Aluminium ramps. Set up the receiver on the back of the truck deck for the whole width.That way you can have 1 3 foot wide ramp or split it for wider 4 wheel equipment. Our deck is 32 inches high with 8 foot ramps. A 47 inch deck with 11 foot ramps is only 4% more grade. We've been using Bobcat/pick-uptruck system since 1994. We can put a skidsteer or a big ZTR up on the deck using this system.
Consider using the 11 foot ramps as the side rakes of the deck. A good place to store them and will contain the load underway.

Sorry but I have no idea what you are saying here???

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Martee...try checking some local (and maybe non-local) wrecking yards who handle larger trucks. I know a few people who found lift gates on a junk or wrecked truck and bought them for a trucks that sound like yours. Not sure what they spent, but may be worth the time to look...Good Luck

Martee
02-07-2006, 12:13 AM
thanks for all your help, think we got it figured out.
Thanks again